Seams Tummy Eye Dew Recall.....

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Seams Tummy Eye Dew Recall.....

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Q50 STEER-BY-WIRE RECALLED
From Autoline Daily:
"We’ve told you all a lot about the Infiniti Q50’s steer-by-wire system. But like most new technology there’s usually some glitches that need to be fixed once it’s out in the real world. That’s why the company is recalling Q50’s with the system. In freezing weather the power steering software may disable the steer-by-wire system and also may delay the engagement of the mechanical steering backup system. The recall involves very few cars, but Infiniti is telling customers not to drive their Q50’s until it’s fixed, and to have it towed to the nearest dealer to receive a software update."

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/Sea ... refurl=rss

Moral of the story is: "Don't count your global warmings until they hatch"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Seams Tummy Eye Dew Recall.....

Post by ClutchFork »

In freezing weather the power steering software may disable the steer-by-wire system and also may delay the engagement of the mechanical steering backup system.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

GM recalls 2.7 million U.S. vehicles for issues including brake lights, brakes, wipers

19,225 Cadillac CTS models from the 2013-14 model years for the possibility of the windshield wipers not working "after a vehicle jump start with wipers active and restricted, such as by ice and snow." GM said lack of visibility from inoperable wipers could lead to a crash, but it is unaware of related crashes or injuries.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014051 ... 9274467E4R#
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Yet another reason I love my car from 1986. Manual rack and pinion. :mrgreen:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm sure there are potential benefits to having this steer-by-wire, but I can't imagine what they might be. Can somebody explain what the point would be?

I can understand, sort of, the reasoning behind throttle-by-wire. However, steer-by-wire and, if there is such a thing, brake-by-wire seem like so much automotive tinsel that doesn't really add to the safety of the car and might diminish it.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

noob5,000,000 wrote:Yet another reason I love my car from 1986. Manual rack and pinion. :mrgreen:
I have electric assist power steering, but I don't think it's steer-by-wire. It feels good though.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Electric power steering is great. It makes so much more sense than hydraulic at a conceptual level, besides being better at everything and having more features.

Steer by wire, now that's kinda scary. That's one of those systems that should always have a more direct physical connection. There's no redundant system you could engage if the steering fails (apparently the failing system is capable of preventing engagement of the mechanical backup), and the classic mechanical linkage is pretty robust and foolproof. I don't want to be on the road with improperly maintained aging SBW vehicles, nor brand new ones that could still have bugs like the Q50 did.

But what advantages does it have? I imagine packaging, for one; no longer do you need a linkage cutting through the engine bay. Then there's preparation and maturation of the technology to be used in autonomous cars that won't have a human-drive mode. It probably makes self-parallel-parking technology better, and stability control (imagine if it doesn't have to fight with a panicking driver for the steering wheel).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

In order for steer/throttle/brake (the three most important systems for control of a car) being "by-wire" to work as well as fully mechanical systems, there has to be multiple redundant systems to backup the main system, and a backup for the backup, and a backup to that, in addition to a fully mechanical and manual system, like in the Space Shuttle, and airliners. And then there's the issue of giving the computer too much "power" over the user. If the user wants to steer left, and turns the wheel/stick/etc. to the left, the computer should not steer to the right, or stay straight, because the computer "thinks" that is the best course of action.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Steer by wire offers improved safety because it virtually (HAH) eliminates the possibility of the steering column being driven backward, toward the driver's chest, during a frontal impact.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

If the steer-by-wire causes subject frontal collision, however, that argument is moo(t).

Are they running this through the CAN bus?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

epic fail :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

How do you transmit road feel to a virtual, essentially, steering wheel? Force feedback??? Like an arcade game? Lol
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Steer by wire offers improved safety because it virtually (HAH) eliminates the possibility of the steering column being driven backward, toward the driver's chest, during a frontal impact.
I thought collapsible steering columns fixed that.

I wonder if a flexible column, either some sort of cable that transmits torsion without flex or just a ton of U-joints in a solid shaft, would accomplish the same. You could say the ton of U-joints is rather complex, but then it's simple compared to SBW.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Steer by wire offers improved safety because it virtually (HAH) eliminates the possibility of the steering column being driven backward, toward the driver's chest, during a frontal impact.
I thought collapsible steering columns fixed that.

I wonder if a flexible column, either some sort of cable that transmits torsion without flex or just a ton of U-joints in a solid shaft, would accomplish the same. You could say the ton of U-joints is rather complex, but then it's simple compared to SBW.
But that wouldn't require 10 years of research and then you wouldn't have all this:

"Infiniti’s Direct Adaptive Steering technology– and the Infiniti Q50 itself – are really representative of the future of driving," said Michael Bartsch, vice-president, Infiniti Americas. "It is more precise, quicker, less tiring, easier to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane, and allows previously unattainable levels of driver personalization. Someday all vehicles will have steer-by-wire, today we are the only one."
In what the magazine praised as "one of the biggest steps yet" toward self-driving cars, the Popular Science editors wrote: "Because there's no physical link between the road and the steering wheel, drivers don't feel jarring bumps or vibrations, but the system does electrically simulate natural steering resistance. Computers vary steering ratio and power assist for easier low-speed maneuvers and high-speed stability. And in the event of total power loss, a clutch restores mechanical control to the driver — that is, until the human driver becomes obsolete."
While systems such as Direct Adaptive Steering™ will be critical in future autonomous vehicle designs, Infiniti Q50 owners are realizing a real benefit today in the system's ability to customize steering settings according the driver preference and road conditions. The system allows the driver to change both steering effort and the steering gear ratio."

In the event the clutch fails to restore mechanical control to the human driver, he will become "obsolete" rather quickly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Juke Box Heroes?
"Nissan Motor Corp. will replace the timing chains in more than 104,000 Nissan Juke subcompacts from the 2011-13 model years sold in the United States and Canada as part of a voluntary service campaign.

The action covers 104,439 Jukes produced in Nissan’s plant in Oppama, Japan, the company said today."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014051 ... ubcompacts