banned from a forum without notice or reason

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: banned from a forum without notice or reason

Post by Shadow »

Just rejoin under a new name. No big deal. You can probably even use the same email address and not worry about anyone catching on.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Looks tubey mower phun to get banned from the band

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

So, dakta1420 or InlinePaul, have either of you contacted that site's staff to find out what happened?

dakta1420, what was your username there?

InlinePaul, it is possible to contact staff about this without seeming like you're partial or whining. I've done it successfully before; I've also been the contacted moderator and I've been the banned guy. That doesn't necessarily mean that he will be reinstated or an explanation will be given, though one of those outcomes is pretty likely; but either way, your own risk is pretty much non-existent.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:So, dakta1420 or InlinePaul, have either of you contacted that site's staff to find out what happened?

dakta1420, what was your username there?

InlinePaul, it is possible to contact staff about this without seeming like you're partial or whining. I've done it successfully before; I've also been the contacted moderator and I've been the banned guy. That doesn't necessarily mean that he will be reinstated or an explanation will be given, though one of those outcomes is pretty likely; but either way, your own risk is pretty much non-existent.
I have not. It might help to know what Moderator may have been involved, but I could simply contact the owner. I have zero risk as I rarely go there anymore and if they booted me off it would not really matter, though i would not be rude or anything like that.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

Post by dakta1420 »

It didn't say a reason or which moderator did it. I have emailed twice about it and haven't heard back.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Yea that site can be kind of weird at times. Funny I've never had a problem with it.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

About 10 years ago there was a guy who kept getting kicked off BITOG. He was not doing anything wrong. He would come back under a new name, but eventually switched to the oil forum at Noria. It may be that he was undermining a site sponsor by exposing the lack of results from a sponsor's product or something, I just can't remember. But I think you will get as good of information on most automotive related questions here without all the noise you get with 10s of thousands of forum members that BITOG has. Too many on BITOG think they are experts but are not. We have some pretty good automotive engineer folks here. Rope Pusher is very knowledgable--ya just have to get past his crazy posting habits. Holy Cow has all sorts of experience in auto mechanical stuff including DYI auto to manual tranny conversion. There are others.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

You mean changing the oil up to 10 times in 3000 miles for break in?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote:You mean changing the oil up to 10 times in 3000 miles for break in?
Stuff like that or,

"My car takes 5w20 and I accidently put 8 ounces of 5w30 in. Will my engine seize?"

and

"How can i get the last few ounces of oil out of my engine so I am sure of a clean fill?"

and

"Can I mix Pennzoil and Valvoline oils or will ruin my engine."
Stick shiftin since '77
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:Stuff like that or,

"My car takes 5w20 and I accidently put 8 ounces of 5w30 in. Will my engine seize?"

and

"How can i get the last few ounces of oil out of my engine so I am sure of a clean fill?"

and

"Can I mix Pennzoil and Valvoline oils or will ruin my engine."
In defense of people, if you have not been around cars/mechanical things much, all of those could be legit questions. Similar to how every new person learning to drive on here is paranoid about burning their clutch to ash.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Squint wrote:In defense of people, if you have not been around cars/mechanical things much, all of those could be legit questions. Similar to how every new person learning to drive on here is paranoid about burning their clutch to ash.
True, but those questions are usually asked by members with over 1,000 posts and who have been on the site for 5+ years..
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

ClutchDisc wrote:
Squint wrote:In defense of people, if you have not been around cars/mechanical things much, all of those could be legit questions. Similar to how every new person learning to drive on here is paranoid about burning their clutch to ash.
True, but those questions are usually asked by members with over 1,000 posts and who have been on the site for 5+ years..
That's a completely different story then.

And my guess on the answers would be, 1) you'll be fine, 2) you'll be fine, 3) as long as the oils are SAE certified and have the same standards, you'll be fine. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Yea pretty much.. :lol:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

On BITOG there is the witch's brew where you mix all sorts of oils together. I once had a batch in the 1992 Aerostar that was about 5 different brands and 2 different grades. :lol:

Here is my favorite thread, but this is not BITOG and nobody on BITOG would be this stupid:
I'm done with this car.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:On BITOG there is the witch's brew where you mix all sorts of oils together. I once had a batch in the 1992 Aerostar that was about 5 different brands and 2 different grades. :lol:

Here is my favorite thread, but this is not BITOG and nobody on BITOG would be this stupid:
I'm done with this car.
The first sentence already has me wondering what I'm reading...
"My car was idling like crap the other day so I figured since I just got it, it may have been awhile since anyone changed the oil out."
Image If the oil was to blame for idling like crap, it's too late, you need a new engine.

...go back and read more...

LOL ok it's the old water troll. There's a similar one for sand too.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD