Teaching my wife to drive a manual

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Teaching my wife to drive a manual

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote:
The Lady's Man wrote:I heard that girlfriend number two recently got a new Volvo S60, but I don't know if it's an automatic or not. I have absolutely no clue about girlfriend number one. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's still driving a stick shift car these days.
If it's a US spec S60, it has to be an automatic :|
Uh....didn't realize that there's no stick in an S60.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote:
potownrob wrote:
The Lady's Man wrote:I heard that girlfriend number two recently got a new Volvo S60, but I don't know if it's an automatic or not. I have absolutely no clue about girlfriend number one. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's still driving a stick shift car these days.
If it's a US spec S60, it has to be an automatic :|
Uh....didn't realize that there's no stick in an S60.
they might've offered it here for part of the 1st generation (early 2000s) but we haven't had it at least since then. you'll see pics online of newer S60s with the stick, but they're not US models. older S70 could be had with a stick but not as common as the auto here and only in certain trim levels.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Yota6M
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Yota6M »

cwat89 wrote:After many lessons and trying to build up her confidence and desire to learn to drive 3 pedals, I think she could actually get me to the hospital God forbid something happened to me while we were out in one of my cars. :lol: Joking aside, she has greatly improved given that it hasn't been the best vehicle situation for her to learn. She is only 5'1" and has trouble reaching the pedals in my s10 with the seat all the way up (bench seat). Bless her heart though she did much much better when I took her to the church parking lot Sunday night. I even encouraged her to drive us home which is only a couple miles away but she did not kill it once and was pretty smooth overall! It made me proud! I would let her drive the camaro since the seat situation is a bit better but it now has a 7/8" bore Tilton master cylinder and a ceramic metallic RAM clutch and I really don't think she could work it to good. Lol. I really wish I could find a Corolla or a Civic to rent for a weekend so she could really get used to it being in a much better driving position with an easy clutch and shifter. Just thought I would share this. I really enjoyed teaching her. I am not know for having patience with anything but I enjoy teaching people the lost art of driving a manual. Didn't get upset at all! Anyway, how many of you have successfully taught your significant other how to row their own gears?
I taught mine, but she hates driving it! Even though she drove it for years, she still wasn't very good at it and was just miserable driving it. Has had an automatic for years and loves it.

Every once in a great while, if she has to take my car, she is short and needs a block on the clutch so she can comfortably depress it without sitting on top of the steering wheel.
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: trixy

Post by DrJerryrigger »

My wife hates any driving. She has had people try to teach her stick before, but really doesn't think she can do it. The first lesson with me she got going without the gas pedal on the first try, so I think she gets it the hardest part. The local community college has a nice parking lot and school just got out so it's time for another lesson.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

DrJerryrigger wrote:My wife hates any driving. She has had people try to teach her stick before, but really doesn't think she can do it. The first lesson with me she got going without the gas pedal on the first try, so I think she gets it the hardest part. The local community college has a nice parking lot and school just got out so it's time for another lesson.
My wife partially taught me but used to prefer an automatic.

I think I have her converted now to preferring a manual :D
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've all but given up trying to reach the few people who don't know how in my group. They have absolutely no concept of having to change gear.

We'll be barreling song in a parking lot and the engine will be screaming. I'm usually like "you need to shift now" and they just stare
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: trixy

Post by DrJerryrigger »

tankinbeans wrote:I've all but given up trying to reach the few people who don't know how in my group. They have absolutely no concept of having to change gear.

We'll be barreling song in a parking lot and the engine will be screaming. I'm usually like "you need to shift now" and they just stare
But it's in forward gear, I don't want to go backwards!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Image
We'll be barreling song in a parking lot and the engine will be screaming.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ManualShifterMz3s »

Good to read each and everyone of your stories.

In theory, I taught myself through reading and this site mostly. Then I had one lesson in a friend's late 90's accord. I then went out and bought a new car which I pretty much used to practice what I have been reading.

This August 9th will be 10 years since driving stick. I am still enjoying it.

I will be teaching the wife soon as I told her I want her to know to drive it. I haven't taught her all these years since she didn't show any interest. I wanted her to want to learn because she wanted to know, not I wanting her to know.

At this point, the car is on its last legs and I told her I prefer she starts learning now 'cause my next "new" car I will not be teaching on that for a while.

I have to point her to some articles (again) to get the theory part down and then take her out to a parking lot.

This summer for sure... I will potentially report back on how that went; hopefully good. :)
2017 Ford Mustang, Eco-Boost, Turbo 4, 6 speed Grabber Blue
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, Red < wife's ride
2004 Mazda 3, 2.3s, stick, Solar Yellow