Whatcha Dune?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Whatcha Dune?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Although it channels power exclusively to the front wheels, Volkswagen claims the high riding hatchback boasts some off-road capability. Helping it venture away from the bitumen and into less forgiving terrain is Volkswagen's XDS electronic differential lock and a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

With 7.1 inches of ground clearance, the Dune sits almost 2 inches higher than the standard Beetle. The addition of cladding within the front and rear wheelhouses has also enabled the addition of lower-offset wheels that effectively widen the track.

The wheels, styled to resemble the optional 18-inch Twister rims available on other Beetle models, measure 19 inches in diameter and are shod with 235/45 profile Dunlop Sport Maxx tires – not exactly off-road grade.

The big surprise when you see the Volkswagen concept up close alongside other cars is just what that added ground clearance does for its appearance. It might only be 2 inches, but the added ride height gives the Dune an instantly more imposing and more purposeful air than the standard Beetle. And these impressions continue as you swing the driver's door open and step inside. The added ground clearance sets the driver's seat at the same height as the Volkswagen Tiguan, giving you a commanding view of the road. There is also sufficient height adjustment within the seat itself to further raise the seat and sit even higher still.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014062 ... z35DhH9S4q
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Whatcha Dune?

Post by Squint »

Interesting. And I totally thought this post was going to be a Phineas and Ferb reference based on the title.

It's a cartoon I watch with µSquint. (though I totally watched it before he came along, too)
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I would totally rock that!

Eegads, the 90s child in me is pushing its way to the surface.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

What's the point of this thing? I could see having some fun in the dunes if it were RWD, but with FWD, hitting the dunes will not be exciting. I highly doubt that even those who will buy it will take it anywhere off-pavement.

So, what's the point?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:So, what's the point?
Mild changes to make a vehicle look more capable (faster, tougher, more off-roadable, whatever) or more masculine, with no actual increased capability to back it up (or with increased capability that will never ever get used), aren't exactly something new. That stuff pretty much drives the market and has for a long time. That along with CAFE are pretty much the entire reason for the ubiquity of SUVs.

Better to have folks feel masculine in something efficient and environmentally friendly than have them commute alone to their office job in a pickup weighing twice as much, right? (Extreme example, nobody's going from an F350 to a VW Dung^He Beetle, but you get the point.)

I do think VW is forgetting the whole reason they revived the Beetle name for the New Beetle. I said this before when I saw the now-current generation's new styling, and it applies even more here, though at least this trim level isn't replacing anything, it's just an additional choice. It seems like they're sacrificing the model's main market by chasing a market where it doesn't really fit. Don't forget, when the New Beetle first came out it came with a flower vase in the dash...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A short wheelbase and short overhangs help to keep from getting hung-up while driving on dunes. Even the original Meyer's Manx required the VW Beetle chassis to be shortened considerably (14+"). Front wheel drive ain't so good for climbing hills going forward, but not so bad for backing up hills. Still, that's more of an emergency maneuver, not so enjoyable that you'd want to make a habit of it.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, I don't know anyone who goes to ride the dunes and prefers to do it backwards rather than forward.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah, I don't know anyone who goes to ride the dunes and prefers to do it backwards rather than forward.
I do know people who have gotten over a hurdle by backing up a hill, but it was their work-around, not their preferred method.

First one I heard doing it was in my HS Science class. His dad was an early Subie Salesman and winter in Michigan provided the necessity.