Reality Racing?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Reality Racing?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Formula E will allow fans to have a say in who wins races
Fan voting to determine which cars get power boost during the race

It's no joke, and it's no video game, either. Formula E will have a "Fan Boost" system, a system in which fans can vote online before each race to determine which three fan favorites will be allowed one 90-hp boost during the race.
The boost will increase the power of the electric car from 133 kilowatts (180 hp) to 200 kilowatts (270 hp). Voting is expected to close just before the start of each race.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014070 ... z36kT5F3jK
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Re: Reality Racing?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I heard that they sounded like slotcars on steroids, but didn't look fast
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

The Beijing Formula-E race was on TV the other day, and it sounded terrible. Like a group of kids got together to play with their remote control cars (do kids even do that anymore, or are they too busy with Facetubes and PlayBoxes?) This just makes it a bigger joke. And I thought DRS in F1 was bad...
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Jastreb wrote:The Beijing Formula-E race was on TV the other day, and it sounded terrible. Like a group of kids got together to play with their remote control cars (do kids even do that anymore, or are they too busy with Facetubes and PlayBoxes?) This just makes it a bigger joke. And I thought DRS in F1 was bad...
Serious question: does the sound of a race matter that much to you or is it the driving and the cars?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Jastreb wrote:The Beijing Formula-E race was on TV the other day, and it sounded terrible. Like a group of kids got together to play with their remote control cars (do kids even do that anymore, or are they too busy with Facetubes and PlayBoxes?) This just makes it a bigger joke. And I thought DRS in F1 was bad...
Serious question: does the sound of a race matter that much to you or is it the driving and the cars?
Symphony Orchestra composed of mimes might be a little interesting, but I still think I'd prefer the sounds to go with the actions.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Symphony Orchestra composed of mimes might be a little interesting, but I still think I'd prefer the sounds to go with the actions.
While your analogy isn't bad, an orchestra exists to make noise (if you like it, we'll call it music :wink: :lol: ). A racecar exists to go around a track and attempt to win. If your TV didn't have sound, you could still watch a race and understand what was going on - that isn't true with an orchestra.

But I get your point. They just need to make it like Fast and Furious and add tire squeal to everything by speakers.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Symphony Orchestra composed of mimes might be a little interesting, but I still think I'd prefer the sounds to go with the actions.
While your analogy isn't bad, an orchestra exists to make noise (if you like it, we'll call it music :wink: :lol: ). A racecar exists to go around a track and attempt to win. If your TV didn't have sound, you could still watch a race and understand what was going on - that isn't true with an orchestra.

But I get your point. They just need to make it like Fast and Furious and add tire squeal to everything by speakers.
Watch silent fireworks - NOT!
Go play a slot machine with the sound turned off - the winning isn't half as fun.
Go watch a movie w/o a sound track to intensify the drama - boring. (I don't always even notice a movie sound track, but it's there, doing its job)
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Squint wrote:

Watch silent fireworks - NOT!
Go play a slot machine with the sound turned off - the winning isn't half as fun.
Go watch a movie w/o a sound track to intensify the drama - boring. (I don't always even notice a movie sound track, but it's there, doing its job)
I would say it would be like watching a movie without part of the soundtrack. You still get tire noise, random people talking over the race, etc... you just don't have the engine noise.

And soundtracks are surprisingly important to most movies - it's kind of crazy how big of a difference they make.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FORMULA E ADDS AUTONOMOUS RACING
Racing is a great way for an automaker to test and learn more about a technology under extreme conditions. The all-electric Formula E racing series saw a number of teams jump on board for its inaugural season as it billed itself as “a framework for R&D around the electric vehicle.” But for its 3rd season, which kicks off toward the end of next year, Formula E is adding a very unique twist to its races… a driverless electric car championship, called ROBORACE. Yes, you heard that right. Prior to each Formula E race, 10 teams with two cars each will race for an hour on the same circuits as the piloted vehicles. All of the cars will be exactly the same except teams will be able to use different algorithms and AI technologies.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015 ... nship.aspx
litesong
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: two Elantras

Post by litesong »

Jastreb wrote:The Beijing Formula-E race was on TV the other day, and it sounded terrible. Like a group of kids got together to play with their remote control cars......
Don't think anyone mentioned that the noise generated by internal combustion engines(ICE) indicates the wastefulness of said engines. One of the reasons EVs are quiet is they are 90+% efficient, while ICE is 25%-30% efficient. Some believe, "give me noise, or give me death". & it does seem that our present love of noisy inefficient ICE (the more inefficient, the better) is sending up warning flags that environmental changes are coming.
litesong
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: two Elantras

Post by litesong »

Keeping this EV topic of half interest to StardardShift.com readers:
I think a two speed transmission(manual) would serve EVs particularly well. EVs travel around cities very well (high torque at lowest rpms). Hey--no pollution inside high populated regions, too. So far, EVs are trotting around without transmissions. But since EVs are struggling with short ranges(most agregious at highway speeds, eating range fast), a transmission to shift, to lower highway EV rpms, would have to help increase range (for careful drivers anyhow). Now, I know ICE is having problems with many of the new expensive unreliable complex auto transmissions in the market. But a simple inexpensive two speed manual transmission that wouldn't be used except occassionally on the highway, would have to be a valuable highway range extender.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

litesong wrote:
Jastreb wrote:The Beijing Formula-E race was on TV the other day, and it sounded terrible. Like a group of kids got together to play with their remote control cars......
Don't think anyone mentioned that the noise generated by internal combustion engines(ICE) indicates the wastefulness of said engines. One of the reasons EVs are quiet is they are 90+% efficient, while ICE is 25%-30% efficient. Some believe, "give me noise, or give me death". & it does seem that our present love of noisy inefficient ICE (the more inefficient, the better) is sending up warning flags that environmental changes are coming.

I know that if you piss into the ocean, the water level goes up, but in the grand scheme of things, the loss due to the noise produced is small....unless you are using a hemi engine to drive an emergency siren.
Built during the World War II and Cold War era from 1952 to 1957 (second generation) by Chrysler, its power plant contained a newly designed FirePower Hemi V8 engine with a displacement of 331 cubic inches (5.42 l) and producing 180 horsepower (130 kW).[1]

Its six horns were each 3 feet (91 cm) long. The siren could be heard 20 to 25 miles (32 to 40 km) away, and had an output of 138 dBC (30,000) watts. They were 12 feet (3.7 m) long, built atop a quarter section of a Dodge truck chassis rail, and weighed an estimated 3 short tons (2.7 t).

The Chrysler air raid siren produced the loudest sound ever achieved by an air raid siren.[1]

Of course, if you were meaning to make noise, then making noise is not a waste at all.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I like listening to my intake as the turbo spools up. Hehe.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

My exhaust is loud. Does that mean its inefficient?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:My exhaust is loud. Does that mean its inefficient?
Too many beans.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!