Tow Missiles?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Tow Missiles?

Post by tankinbeans »

Is GM trying to take credit for the active grille shutters? I had those on the Focus in 2012 and on the Escape now. I'm sure they've been around longer than that though.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I don't see anything about GM taking credit for active grille shutters. The article indicates early development of the diesel that's in the Ram 1500 was done by GM, targeted for a European CTS variant that never happened
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:Is GM trying to take credit for the active grille shutters? I had those on the Focus in 2012 and on the Escape now. I'm sure they've been around longer than that though.
Semis been using one or another method of blocking off some of the airflow thru the grill for decades now, but maybe more to avoid overcooling and less about increasing fuel smileage.

At this point, they are an advertised feature, but nobody's invention.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From Autoline:
RAM BOOSTS ECODIESEL PRODUCTION
Last week we reported that Chrysler is boosting production of the Ram 1500 to keep up with demand. And now we’re learning that will also include more diesels. The company says the diesel version of the 1500 is such a hit with consumers that it will boost its diesel production mix to 20% of Ram’s total production. That’s right, one out of every 5 Ram 1500 that is built will now be equipped with a diesel. And by my back of the envelope calculation that will bring in more than $200 million in extra revenue for that truck.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.d ... 6087&mid=1

"Overwhelming response attributed to best-in-class 28 MPG with 9,200 lbs. of towing capacity and strong consumer demand for exclusive light-duty diesel"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...Not So Much!

Today, Ford finally released those long-awaited official EPA numbers for its lightweight aluminum truck.

Some of the gains are impressive. Some are not, and those are the ones that Ford would prefer you didn’t dwell on.

Ford offers the 2015 F-150 with four engines, but only two offer a direct apples-to-apples fuel economy comparison. Those two engines -- the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 and the 5.0-liter V-8 -- carry over from last year and are bolted to the same six-speed automatic transmission.

This is the best yardstick we have on the direct effect of reducing the F-150’s weight by as much as 700 pounds.

The 2014 F-150 with the 3.5-liter turbo V-6 sported an EPA rating of 16 mpg city/22 highway/18 combined. The 2015 3.5-liter turbo F-150 carries an EPA rating of 17 mpg city/24 highway/20 combined. That’s up 1 mpg in the city and 2 mpg on the highway and in combined driving.

The 2014 F-150 with the 5.0-liter V-8 showed almost no fuel economy gain. The 2014 model had an EPA rating at 15 mpg city/21 highway/17 combined. The 2015 5.0-liter F-150 gets 1 mpg better on the highway and in combined driving, and has the same 15 mpg city rating.

The new 2.7-liter engine’s EPA ratings look good on paper, but it has the greatest potential to disappoint buyers.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014112 ... news-daily
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Chevy Colorado edges Ford F-150 for Motor Trend Truck of the Year honor
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014120 ... f-the-year

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/tru ... _the_year/
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Clearly Ford shouldn't have dropped the manual.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Chevrolet Disses the Aluminum Ford F150

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I'd think it's pretty likely both those beds will eventually have holes. Compromising the corrosion protective coatings on steel is asking for trouble too. A truck used for more than the occasional picking-up of mulch from Home Depot should have a liner in it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Eye wanna no ware the Honda guise bye they're coffee!