Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:33 pm

theholycow wrote:Yes. I want that.

Actually, I just want a 100% chrome car. I don't want to blind anyone, I want them to blind themselves...too bright for you, too bright for me.

I saw some colored chrome cars at the Dream Cruise this summer.
Made me think of "Hot Wheels"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Postby Rope-Pusher » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Crash Dummy Layoffs Delayed!

AUTONOMOUS CAR BENEFITS DECADES AWAY - From Autoline Daily
Autonomous vehicles have the potential to drastically reduce car crashes. But the IIHS just put out an interesting press release that shows it’s going to be some time before we see the full benefits of self-driving cars. And one reason is, when the technology first becomes available most vehicles will only be able to drive autonomously on highways. But that’s where the fewest crashes occur. The IIHS says if all interstate miles were driven by self-driving cars, the maximum benefit would be 17% fewer deaths and 9% fewer injuries. But it’s going to be decades before most vehicles are equipped with the technology. If the government mandated tomorrow that all new vehicles sold had to be autonomous, it would still take at least 25 years for 95% of vehicles to be equipped with it. But as we know, most automakers won’t start selling self-driving cars to consumers until next decade. So that means we won’t see a fully autonomous fleet until the middle of the century at the earliest. So while it is exciting technology, the IIHS reminds us that we don’t need to retire crash test dummies just yet.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopne ... ytime-soon

Notice that nobody has dared to predict when the last Amish vehicle will be retired from the roads?

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Postby Rope-Pusher » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:28 pm

First it was the Dustbuster Minivan:

Then it was minivans with built-in vacuums:

Now, the vacuum is becoming the minivan:
DYSON EV SPECULATION HEATS UP - from Autoline Daily
For the last couple of years, there’s been a lot of speculation that the vacuum cleaner company Dyson, is developing an electric car. And for good reason. In 2015 it bought battery maker Sakti3 to gain access to its solid state batteries. And last year Dyson hired Aston Martin’s head of product development, Ian Minards. And now Bloomberg reports, the company has lured another executive from the British automaker. David Wyer, the Director of Purchasing at Aston, is now the head of Procurement for Dyson. Earlier this year Dyson announced it’s building a new R&D center to develop batteries, robotics and artificial intelligence. It’s also been hiring researchers who specialize in autonomy. Dyson hasn’t confirmed if it’s working on an EV but all this activity suggests it’s got something up its sleeve.

Cue in: "It's the Circle of Life!"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... peculation

Return to “Rants and Raves”