Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:short-term permit to drive on their roads?
Consider varying oversized load regulations and permitting. I live near the state line on a road where oversized loads are hauled. I constantly see them parked roadside for days or sometimes weeks while they wrangle permits. At least, I assume that's what they're up to. I'd say more days than not, there's a huge load parked on the shoulder or in a local parking lot.

But yeah, there are plenty of Federal standards and even laws and this stuff could end up among them, but even if not it's likely to be reasonably uniform...as long as it's not cuneiform.
With the money going into the autonomous car research and development, I would guess that there will enough thrown around to cause some federal regulation once a few states have started to enact their own thing. Of course, some one somewhere will figure out a reason that "that those self-drivin dohickies are gonna go skynet on us and take our jerbs!" Which will probably be the real reason for federal regulation - just to clear up the mixed state law problems.

Or I'm feeling cynical this morning. Either way.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Human drivers are bumping into driverless cars and exposing a key flaw
Are autonomous cars being dangerously cautious?

The self-driving car, that cutting-edge creation that’s supposed to lead to a world without accidents, is achieving the exact opposite right now: The vehicles have racked up a crash rate double that of those with human drivers.

The glitch?

They obey the law all the time, as in, without exception. This may sound like the right way to program a robot to drive a car, but good luck trying to merge onto a chaotic, jam-packed highway with traffic flying along well above the speed limit. It tends not to work out well.

As the accidents have piled up -- all minor scrape-ups for now -- the arguments among programmers at places like Google Inc. and Carnegie Mellon University are heating up: Should they teach the cars how to commit infractions from time to time to stay out of trouble?

Google is working to make the vehicles more “aggressive” like humans -- law-abiding, safe humans -- so they “can naturally fit into the traffic flow, and other people understand what we’re doing and why we’re doing it,” Dolgov said. “Driving is a social game.”

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015121 ... news-daily
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That clearly demonstrates that the laws are faulty.

Also, driving among other human drivers is social.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:That clearly demonstrates that the laws are faulty.

Also, driving among other human drivers is social.
I got flipped off for passing a bench in her yuppymobile while driving the speed limit.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: I got flipped off for passing a bench in her yuppymobile while driving the speed limit.
Wench?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Google self-driving car encounters unexpected test scenario

-and does NOT respond the way a human driver would respond.

Google has been carrying out testing of its self-driving cars on the roads of its hometown in California as well as in Austin, Texas, but it was on the streets of the former last year where it came across a woman wielding a broom and doing figure eights in the roadway in an electric wheelchair while chasing a duck.

The prototype vehicle waited for the event to pass and then continued. “It didn’t do what a human would have done in that situation,” Krafcik added. “[It didn’t] get out of the car and take a cellphone photo of the scene!”

http://www.automotivetestingtechnologyi ... wsID=76793
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Google Bears
They're like Gummi Bears, but more Crunchy

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016022 ... news-blast
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I like to think Google Bears taste a bit more plastic-y with a hint of electricity and the aftertaste of world domination.

For Pony!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Interesting...They've programmed them to filter in wide lanes at traffic lights.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:Interesting...They've programmed them to filter in wide lanes at traffic lights.
To a certain extent, the Google cars, as they are programmed to be more human-like, will start having "accidents' due to misreading other driver's intentions (It thought the bus would yield to it) just like real people do. Earlier, they were faulted for being too cautious, for not understanding and acting on the social aspects of driving, and causing some accidents when folks were sure the google car knew to go ahead but it didn't move. Maybe we'll realize that the mistakes made in the social aspects of driving are what cause many accidents.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

In my experience, taking inattention off the table would be huge. Every time I've been hit it's been inattention.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ I agree with you there - many drivers don't pay attention to their own driving or to their proximity to other vehicles.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:Interesting...They've programmed them to filter in wide lanes at traffic lights.
To a certain extent, the Google cars, as they are programmed to be more human-like, will start having "accidents' due to misreading other driver's intentions (It thought the bus would yield to it) just like real people do. Earlier, they were faulted for being too cautious, for not understanding and acting on the social aspects of driving, and causing some accidents when folks were sure the google car knew to go ahead but it didn't move. Maybe we'll realize that the mistakes made in the social aspects of driving are what cause many accidents.
Well, I think they just have to find the right level of "human" driving then keep the programming for safer driving. As more and more autonomous cars get on the roads, they can slowly transition back the other way.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
Well, I think they just have to find the right level of "human" driving then keep the programming for safer driving. As more and more autonomous cars get on the roads, they can slowly transition back the other way.
I want 'em all to drive just like me....'cept a little more slower and hesitant, so I can blow their doors off whenever I want to.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I want 'em all to drive just like me....'cept a little more slower and hesitant, so I can blow their doors off whenever I want to.
You don't need a speed advantage for that...just a weaponry advantage.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD