Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Autonomous cruise control

Post by monkeyhunk »

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Post by ClutchDisc »

Sorry, no way do I want my car changing speeds for me.. I don't even like/use the regular cruise control!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Meh. I don't enjoy right foot work during steady highway driving, I already use cruise, and having to adjust it is merely annoying...might as well let cruise do the job. It's not even new technology, it's been on the road for a few years now.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Thats like saying electric starters have been on the road for a few years now. Those things cant be trusted!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I don't like cruise control because ever since the motorhome's engine died as the cruise control let off the throttle (a coincidental event), it always feels like the engine is dying when it lets off the throttle. Instead, I simply use my left foot on the throttle in the motorhome when my right leg gets sore.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote:Thats like saying electric starters have been on the road for a few years now. Those things cant be trusted!
Some things are useful, others are unnecessary frills. What fun driving if the car drives for you?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

ClutchDisc wrote:Sorry, no way do I want my car changing speeds for me.. I don't even like/use the regular cruise control!
In the age of cars you drive, it's probably just a cable cruise control. In that case, it is literally a cable holding the throttle steady - exactly the same as if you left you foot perfectly still on the pedal. Would you trust a cable?
InlinePaul wrote:I don't like cruise control because ever since the motorhome's engine died as the cruise control let off the throttle (a coincidental event), it always feels like the engine is dying when it lets off the throttle. Instead, I simply use my left foot on the throttle in the motorhome when my right leg gets sore.
You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?

I'm fine with cruise, it keeps me from having a tired leg after multiple hours of driving at the same speed. It's not like it's taking away the steering from you and you certainly don't have to shift if you are going 50/65/75/9000 whatever on the highway/interstate. The Fiesta's cruise is disabled by pressing either the brake or the clutch and I can hit resume to continue at the speed that I was previously driving.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Squint wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:Sorry, no way do I want my car changing speeds for me.. I don't even like/use the regular cruise control!
In the age of cars you drive, it's probably just a cable cruise control. In that case, it is literally a cable holding the throttle steady - exactly the same as if you left you foot perfectly still on the pedal. Would you trust a cable?
It's not that.. it's that with cruise control you are going down the road without doing anything. You are simply sitting in a vehicle that is racing down the road at 70 mph all by itself. Not a comfortable feeling at all in my opinion. I drove down to St. Louis and back last fall and didn't use the cruise control.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

ClutchDisc wrote:It's not that.. it's that with cruise control you are going down the road without doing anything. You are simply sitting in a vehicle that is racing down the road at 70 mph all by itself. Not a comfortable feeling at all in my opinion. I drove down to St. Louis and back last fall and didn't use the cruise control.
When going down a slight hill where the car neither gains nor loses speed, do you keep pressing the pedal?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?
It is reasonable to feel that way. That doesn't come from conscious logic, it's from a more animal instinct that is thoroughly ingrained in the human brain from eons of evolution.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote: You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?
Wasn't that fond of it anyway, so it did not take much excuse to stop using it. But the cruise control letting off the throttle is kind of like someone tickling you. You don't expect it so it has an effect.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:
Squint wrote: You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?
Wasn't that fond of it anyway, so it did not take much excuse to stop using it. But the cruise control letting off the throttle is kind of like someone tickling you. You don't expect it so it has an effect.
I was trying to be very econamickel when I specified my Liberty, so I didn't get cruise control because it would have required some package of options I could do without:

Popular Equipment Group - $1,075
Mains power supply; Cargo area cover/rear parcel shelf; Privacy glass rear and rear side; Front fog lights; Fold Flat passenger seat; Front and rear tires with outline white letters; Upgraded cloth/velour seat upholstery water repellent; Roof rails; Cruise control; External temperature; Compass; Excludes: [NHM] Speed Control (Fleet) And [TSN] P235/70R16 OWL All Terrain Tires And [M7KA] Pastel Pebble Beige Cloth And [M7DA] Pastel Slate Gray Cloth

It was my first car without cruise since 1985. I really haven't mist it much. Shirley not enough to add it on after the fact.

This may have been the only option I selected:

Trailer Tow Class III Group - $495
7 pin wiring harness; 7 to 4 pin wiring adaptor; Heavy duty engine cooling; Hitch - Class III reciever; Power steering cooler; Trailer sway control; Includes: [TBB] Full Size Spare Tire
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

$1075 is a lot for it, but it does come with mains power and temp/compass.

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Squint wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:It's not that.. it's that with cruise control you are going down the road without doing anything. You are simply sitting in a vehicle that is racing down the road at 70 mph all by itself. Not a comfortable feeling at all in my opinion. I drove down to St. Louis and back last fall and didn't use the cruise control.
When going down a slight hill where the car neither gains nor loses speed, do you keep pressing the pedal?
Huh??? I fail to see your point. When going down a hill if I don't need to give it gas I still keep my foot right there at the pedal.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:$1075 is a lot for it, but it does come with mains power and temp/compass.
Whale, somehow, even my standard instrument panel will display temperature. F N I was going to get won fur free, a compass wooda bean my choys fur them overcast daze. Eye can always stick my hand out the window F N I want two no watt the temperature S.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"