Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Major automakers plan to announce they have agreed to install automatic emergency braking systems in nearly all U.S. vehicles by September 2022
Automatic emergency braking includes systems designed to prevent crashes in which drivers do not apply the brakes or fail to apply enough braking power to avoid a collision.

In 2012, rear-end crashes killed 1,705 Americans and injured 547,000 in the United States. About 87 percent of those deaths and injuries might have been prevented or lessened if vehicles had a collision avoidance system -- because they were linked to driver inattention, researchers found.

Under the agreement, automakers will get slightly longer to add the technology to some vehicles with technical challenges, including some cars with manual transmissions.

Somebody expects there will still be Amish vehicles built after 2022!!!

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016031 ... news-daily
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

What, pray tell, would be a technical challenge with a manny tranny?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Why is a manual a technical challenge? Sitting in traffic with a stalled engine beats burying the front end of the car in the back end of traffic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tummy, just design it to let the engine stall and do an automatic restart when the clutch pedal gets depressed (Life isn't worth living any more. Everyone is always stepping on me!)
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

In the word[s] of the Guinness commercial...Brilliant! The provision's already there for stop/start.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Tummy, just design it to let the engine stall and do an automatic restart when the clutch pedal gets depressed (Life isn't worth living any more. Everyone is always stepping on me!)
This already exists
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Tummy, just design it to let the engine stall and do an automatic restart when the clutch pedal gets depressed (Life isn't worth living any more. Everyone is always stepping on me!)
This already exists
Precisely! So let the confuser apply the brakes, don't worry about the clutch, let the engine stall, and after the driver cleans off the seat, let the car restart the engine with a simple pressing of the clutch pedal. This beats mucking up the clutch release system with some auxilliary system that would allow the confuser to disengage it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

In Former Sobeit Union, Car is Drive YOU!
Automatic emergency braking is an important technology. The IIHS says it can cut rear-end collisions by 40% and reduce the severity of crashes by 30%. But some customers are learning there’s some limitations to the system, like trying to go through a car wash. It turns out the sensors are registering the equipment as another vehicle and stopping cars mid-wash. Ironically, causing accidents in some cases when the car behind runs into it. Car washes are also having problems with auto hold braking, which keeps the car in place when not in park to help prevent rollaways. While these systems can be shut off on some cars, some can’t and other times the owner just isn’t sure how to do it. So, it’s something to be aware of before going to the car wash. The car-shopping site BestRide.com has identified 33 different makes from 14 brands that could have issues. We’ll provide a link if you’d like to see what vehicles could have problems. - From Autoline Daily

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelan ... 72f4ca1450
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Car washes seem to be a consistent problem with automated stuff. When automated power locks came out, those cars used to come out of the car wash locked and running...and if it was the type of wash where people do not stay in the car then that was a problem. Wise drivers carried a spare key or fob.

Maybe car wash issues should be part of the bug-avoidance checklist.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Car washes seem to be a consistent problem with automated stuff. When automated power locks came out, those cars used to come out of the car wash locked and running...and if it was the type of wash where people do not stay in the car then that was a problem. Wise drivers carried a spare key or fob.

Maybe car wash issues should be part of the bug-avoidance checklist.
There are a plethora of situations that, up until now, human drivers have been tasked to deal with and that in the future autonomous vehicles will be confronted with. It is this new frontier where the chinks in the armor (product development testing) will be found.

One case: Your vehicle stops at a stop sign. A pedestrian at the crosswalk stops, blocking your way, points a weapon at you and says "Gimme your car!". Your non-autonomous self could have driven into the fool as he stood before your "weapon", but your autonomous vehicle stays there and lets the pedestrian continue to threaten and approach your vehicle.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016102 ... nomous-era
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:One case: Your vehicle stops at a stop sign. A pedestrian at the crosswalk stops, blocking your way, points a weapon at you and says "Gimme your car!". Your non-autonomous self could have driven into the fool as he stood before your "weapon", but your autonomous vehicle stays there and lets the pedestrian continue to threaten and approach your vehicle.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016102 ... nomous-era

Obviously the solution is for everyone to ride fully strapped. When confronted with such a threat, draw and fire. Perhaps autonomous cars should come with heaters.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I vote foot activated flame throwers. They're less lethal (dung laugh), but more fun to watch.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: I vote foot activated flame throwers. They're less lethal (dung laugh), but more fun to watch.
Yanno, flame throwers don't burn as cleanly as excessive candlepower
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I love that. Where can I get one?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yes. I want that.

Actually, I just want a 100% chrome car. I don't want to blind anyone, I want them to blind themselves...too bright for you, too bright for me.