Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:Sorry, no way do I want my car changing speeds for me.. I don't even like/use the regular cruise control!
In the age of cars you drive, it's probably just a cable cruise control. In that case, it is literally a cable holding the throttle steady - exactly the same as if you left you foot perfectly still on the pedal. Would you trust a cable?
InlinePaul wrote:I don't like cruise control because ever since the motorhome's engine died as the cruise control let off the throttle (a coincidental event), it always feels like the engine is dying when it lets off the throttle. Instead, I simply use my left foot on the throttle in the motorhome when my right leg gets sore.
You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?

I'm fine with cruise, it keeps me from having a tired leg after multiple hours of driving at the same speed. It's not like it's taking away the steering from you and you certainly don't have to shift if you are going 50/65/75/9000 whatever on the highway/interstate. The Fiesta's cruise is disabled by pressing either the brake or the clutch and I can hit resume to continue at the speed that I was previously driving.
Also, pulling up lightly on the handbrake will disable cruise.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I use cruise because driving in Minnesota is boring and I get myself in trouble when I try to maintain speed. It's too easy to ease into it and bam speeding. Cruise keeps me laid back and my temper in check.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Image
Cruise keeps me laid back and my temper in check.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

This isn't new? Gosh, it seems like adaptive cruise control has been around for at least a decade it seems.

I don't really use cruise control. All of my cars had it. With the distances I drive, I never really needed it. Since I use it so infrequently, I don't trust it to work properly when I actually do need to use it, so I don't, not to mention nearly every car in existence (it seems) have a recall or two related to cruise-control related fires, adding to my reluctance. Just don't trust it.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

RP, I can understand not getting it because of not purchasing options.

Cow, I guess that makes just as much sense as rationally disliking something. Hoo-mans can get set in ways very easily.

I find it interesting that so many people distrust cruise control when they trust the other 1000+ mechanical/electronic things in cars that can fail just as easily. It seems an odd thing to worry about considering that if you are using it and it fails, your car just starts to slow down - which you notice as you are still paying attention to driving. Unless it somehow explodes, in which case, you've made the news for spontaneous combustion. :lol: :lol:

Compared to other things on a car that can fail, a cruise control failure should be fairly boring.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote: Image
Compared to other things on a car that can fail, a cruise control failure should be fairly boring.
Fickset
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:Compared to other things on a car that can fail, a cruise control failure should be fairly boring.
Could be dramatic event if used in inclement weather conditions.
http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission. ... cruise.php
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:Could be dramatic event if used in inclement weather conditions.
http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission. ... cruise.php
The first thing this article warns about is not paying attention while driving ("finding themselves on "autopilot") which is the fault of the driver, not the cruise control.

The second and other major point of the article is regarding loss of traction while driving during/after rain, or as they refer to it, "Florida ice." Correctly, they state that if a vehicle doesn't have anti-lock brakes, you don't want to hit the brakes if you lose traction. However, the majority of drivers on this board (with a few exceptions like yourself, possibly ClutchDisc, Moofasa) should have anti-lock brakes as they aren't exactly a brand new invention. If you do have anti-locks, you can hit the brakes while hydroplaning to attempt to reestablish traction.

Most importantly, like RP's picture shows, you shouldn't blindly trust everything without brain input. If it is raining and traction might be lost, you can lower the cruise speed or drive by foot the same way that you should lower speed if not driving with cruise if there is a risk of losing traction. I'm not saying blindly turn on cruise and drive everywhere with it. I normally use it only for trips of 10+ miles on the interstate where you can get in a lane and cruise (pun intended) without having to manipulate your speed too much around other drivers.

No one should get behind any kind of equipment and just let it run - brain power is almost always required.

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

InlinePaul doesn't have ABS, I do.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

ClutchDisc wrote:InlinePaul doesn't have ABS, I do.
You're younger and probably have more time to take care of yourself. :mrgreen: :twisted:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:InlinePaul doesn't have IBS, I do.
You're younger and probably have more time to take care of yourself. :mrgreen: :twisted:
If you read it like this fix, it's worse for CD :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Squint wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:InlinePaul doesn't have IBS, I do.
If you read it like this fix, it's worse for CD :lol: :lol:
:lol: I don't have IBS!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchDisc wrote: Image
:lol: I don't have Irritable Bow-Wow Syndrome!
Fickset
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Ranger has ABS, but not working. Ranger has air bags, but not working. Ranger's ABS light, airbag light, and check engine light work all the time. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:Ranger has ABS, but not working. Ranger has air bags, but not working. Ranger's ABS light, airbag light, and check engine light work all the time. :lol:
Something something Hot Shots quote something...

For Pony!