Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Autonomous cruise control

Postby monkeyhunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:18 am

Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm
Cars: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0L 5MT
Location: Detroit area

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby ClutchDisc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 am

Sorry, no way do I want my car changing speeds for me.. I don't even like/use the regular cruise control!
05 Ford Focus 2.0 5-speed manual 69k
Image

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15978
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby theholycow » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:46 am

Meh. I don't enjoy right foot work during steady highway driving, I already use cruise, and having to adjust it is merely annoying...might as well let cruise do the job. It's not even new technology, it's been on the road for a few years now.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15685
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby watkins » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Thats like saying electric starters have been on the road for a few years now. Those things cant be trusted!
Image

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.0L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby InlinePaul » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:23 pm

I don't like cruise control because ever since the motorhome's engine died as the cruise control let off the throttle (a coincidental event), it always feels like the engine is dying when it lets off the throttle. Instead, I simply use my left foot on the throttle in the motorhome when my right leg gets sore.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.0L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby InlinePaul » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:27 pm

watkins wrote:Thats like saying electric starters have been on the road for a few years now. Those things cant be trusted!

Some things are useful, others are unnecessary frills. What fun driving if the car drives for you?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby Squint » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:50 pm

ClutchDisc wrote:Sorry, no way do I want my car changing speeds for me.. I don't even like/use the regular cruise control!

In the age of cars you drive, it's probably just a cable cruise control. In that case, it is literally a cable holding the throttle steady - exactly the same as if you left you foot perfectly still on the pedal. Would you trust a cable?
InlinePaul wrote:I don't like cruise control because ever since the motorhome's engine died as the cruise control let off the throttle (a coincidental event), it always feels like the engine is dying when it lets off the throttle. Instead, I simply use my left foot on the throttle in the motorhome when my right leg gets sore.

You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?

I'm fine with cruise, it keeps me from having a tired leg after multiple hours of driving at the same speed. It's not like it's taking away the steering from you and you certainly don't have to shift if you are going 50/65/75/9000 whatever on the highway/interstate. The Fiesta's cruise is disabled by pressing either the brake or the clutch and I can hit resume to continue at the speed that I was previously driving.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm
Cars: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0L 5MT
Location: Detroit area

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby ClutchDisc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Squint wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:Sorry, no way do I want my car changing speeds for me.. I don't even like/use the regular cruise control!

In the age of cars you drive, it's probably just a cable cruise control. In that case, it is literally a cable holding the throttle steady - exactly the same as if you left you foot perfectly still on the pedal. Would you trust a cable?

It's not that.. it's that with cruise control you are going down the road without doing anything. You are simply sitting in a vehicle that is racing down the road at 70 mph all by itself. Not a comfortable feeling at all in my opinion. I drove down to St. Louis and back last fall and didn't use the cruise control.
05 Ford Focus 2.0 5-speed manual 69k
Image

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby Squint » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:47 pm

ClutchDisc wrote:It's not that.. it's that with cruise control you are going down the road without doing anything. You are simply sitting in a vehicle that is racing down the road at 70 mph all by itself. Not a comfortable feeling at all in my opinion. I drove down to St. Louis and back last fall and didn't use the cruise control.

When going down a slight hill where the car neither gains nor loses speed, do you keep pressing the pedal?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15978
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby theholycow » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Squint wrote:You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?

It is reasonable to feel that way. That doesn't come from conscious logic, it's from a more animal instinct that is thoroughly ingrained in the human brain from eons of evolution.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.0L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby InlinePaul » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Squint wrote:You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?

Wasn't that fond of it anyway, so it did not take much excuse to stop using it. But the cruise control letting off the throttle is kind of like someone tickling you. You don't expect it so it has an effect.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10554
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby Rope-Pusher » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:16 pm

InlinePaul wrote:
Squint wrote:You don't like cruise control because of a coincidental event?

Wasn't that fond of it anyway, so it did not take much excuse to stop using it. But the cruise control letting off the throttle is kind of like someone tickling you. You don't expect it so it has an effect.

I was trying to be very econamickel when I specified my Liberty, so I didn't get cruise control because it would have required some package of options I could do without:

Popular Equipment Group - $1,075
Mains power supply; Cargo area cover/rear parcel shelf; Privacy glass rear and rear side; Front fog lights; Fold Flat passenger seat; Front and rear tires with outline white letters; Upgraded cloth/velour seat upholstery water repellent; Roof rails; Cruise control; External temperature; Compass; Excludes: [NHM] Speed Control (Fleet) And [TSN] P235/70R16 OWL All Terrain Tires And [M7KA] Pastel Pebble Beige Cloth And [M7DA] Pastel Slate Gray Cloth

It was my first car without cruise since 1985. I really haven't mist it much. Shirley not enough to add it on after the fact.

This may have been the only option I selected:

Trailer Tow Class III Group - $495
7 pin wiring harness; 7 to 4 pin wiring adaptor; Heavy duty engine cooling; Hitch - Class III reciever; Power steering cooler; Trailer sway control; Includes: [TBB] Full Size Spare Tire
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15978
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby theholycow » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:00 pm

$1075 is a lot for it, but it does come with mains power and temp/compass.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm
Cars: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0L 5MT
Location: Detroit area

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby ClutchDisc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Squint wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:It's not that.. it's that with cruise control you are going down the road without doing anything. You are simply sitting in a vehicle that is racing down the road at 70 mph all by itself. Not a comfortable feeling at all in my opinion. I drove down to St. Louis and back last fall and didn't use the cruise control.

When going down a slight hill where the car neither gains nor loses speed, do you keep pressing the pedal?

Huh??? I fail to see your point. When going down a hill if I don't need to give it gas I still keep my foot right there at the pedal.
05 Ford Focus 2.0 5-speed manual 69k
Image

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10554
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Postby Rope-Pusher » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:00 pm

theholycow wrote:$1075 is a lot for it, but it does come with mains power and temp/compass.

Whale, somehow, even my standard instrument panel will display temperature. F N I was going to get won fur free, a compass wooda bean my choys fur them overcast daze. Eye can always stick my hand out the window F N I want two no watt the temperature S.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests