Car safety nanny tech

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Car safety nanny tech

Post by watkins »

The beauty of most of this nanny tech is that if its working correctly you will never know its there.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Ah...the beeling reverse aid. I used to piss my roommate off so much with the beeping reverse thing.

For the first 9 months she had her Fusion, nice car - do want, she didn't have her license. Consequently, when her husband wasn't carting her around I was. Ford's design is to alter the pitch and frequency as you get nearer and nearer to an object/kid/animal until it's one steady, shrill signal. I used to play chicken with the system to see how close I could get (only ever managed 4 inches before I stopped moving closer).

Backup cameras rock, but don't use it as a crutch. I have one and glance occasionally. My friend, thinks he's God's gift to motoring, bitches about it and says he'd disable such a system if he ever had it in a car. Says he learbed without it and is a better driver than those who use it blah blahblah. My opinion regarding backup cameras is that more information about your surroundings is better than less, especially in the age of high beltlines and kids who don't know not to walk behind a vehicle in motion.

Oh boy, I seem to have gotten off on a tangent.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:My opinion regarding backup cameras is that more information about your surroundings is better than less, especially in the age of high beltlines and kids who don't know not to walk behind a vehicle in motion.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:My opinion regarding backup cameras is that more information about your surroundings is better than less, especially in the age of high beltlines and kids who are completely unaware of their surroundings.
Fixed. Kids are kids, their attention spans aren't all that great, but the kids that live in my apartment complex are just idiots. They see a moving vehicle but continue running directly into the path of travel. Happened yesterday as I was riding through the complex.

No danger, of course, I was riding at around 5 mph, but it makes me question their sanity. They do this every single day.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

As someone who moves big vehicles in tight spaces on an almost daily basis, I love backup cameras. No reason not to have them. If Im not mistaken they will be a federal requirement in '17 or '18 model year vehicles.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:As someone who moves big vehicles in tight spaces on an almost daily basis, I love backup cameras. No reason not to have them. If Im not mistaken they will be a federal requirement in '17 or '18 model year vehicles.
2018 according to this USA Today article.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Backup cameras rock, but don't use it as a crutch.
Of course you no use backup camera as crutch.
If you step on backup camera and shift, gears will crash.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

theholycow wrote:Of course you'll ask when the time comes, but here's advice on a few...

ABS: When you begin to skid the brake pedal will grind or click and push back at your foot. Don't pump the pedal like you would without ABS, just shove it as hard as you can steadily. The 2000 GM full size van you're driving almost certainly has ABS, so if you get some ice you'll get a chance to practice.

ESC: Don't worry about it, it will take care of itself.

Nav: Don't touch it while the car is moving. Pull over to do stuff with it. Or just ignore it.
i did not get ice. thankfully it dusted once, but i brought the vehicle back before the snow storms :D
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:
theholycow wrote:Of course you'll ask when the time comes, but here's advice on a few...

ABS: When you begin to skid the brake pedal will grind or click and push back at your foot. Don't pump the pedal like you would without ABS, just shove it as hard as you can steadily. The 2000 GM full size van you're driving almost certainly has ABS, so if you get some ice you'll get a chance to practice.

ESC: Don't worry about it, it will take care of itself.

Nav: Don't touch it while the car is moving. Pull over to do stuff with it. Or just ignore it.
i did not get ice. thankfully it dusted once, but i brought the vehicle back before the snow storms :D
So you didn't get ice.....
Did you get air?
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

What about wind, water, or heart?

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Yeah!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

watkins wrote:The beauty of most of this nanny tech is that if its working correctly you will never know its there.

Yeah, that's exactly right. I have no opposition to any nanny tech stuff as long as it doesn't interfere with my driving pleasure. And by that I mean it needs to be transparent unless it's active. That said, I've heard of quite a few people on the Jeep forums complaining about the radar-based cruised control system (it's optional and I chose not to get it myself) for not behaving properly. Jeep/Chrysler seems to be proactive in bringing newer technology to their vehicle line-up, but somehow can't figure out how to make it work properly beforehand.....so early adopters always seem to end up acting as beta testers.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:Yeah, that's exactly right. I have no opposition to any nanny tech stuff as long as it doesn't interfere with my driving pleasure. And by that I mean it needs to be transparent unless it's active. That said, I've heard of quite a few people on the Jeep forums complaining about the radar-based cruised control system (it's optional and I chose not to get it myself) for not behaving properly. Jeep/Chrysler seems to be proactive in bringing newer technology to their vehicle line-up, but somehow can't figure out how to make it work properly beforehand.....so early adopters always seem to end up acting as beta testers.
That's why for years, the advice has been never to adopt the first year of a new vehicle. You could also potentially say that for any piece of vaguely complicated tech. The manufacturers, no matter how much testing they do, cannot find every possible problem that might come up compared to when you sell thousands of them.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Shadow wrote:Yeah, that's exactly right. I have no opposition to any nanny tech stuff as long as it doesn't interfere with my driving pleasure. And by that I mean it needs to be transparent unless it's active. That said, I've heard of quite a few people on the Jeep forums complaining about the radar-based cruised control system (it's optional and I chose not to get it myself) for not behaving properly. Jeep/Chrysler seems to be proactive in bringing newer technology to their vehicle line-up, but somehow can't figure out how to make it work properly beforehand.....so early adopters always seem to end up acting as beta testers.
That's why for years, the advice has been never to adopt the first year of a new vehicle. You could also potentially say that for any piece of vaguely complicated tech. The manufacturers, no matter how much testing they do, cannot find every possible problem that might come up compared to when you sell thousands of them.
Yeah, if everyone had waited 15 years before buying a Chevy Cruze, all those needless deaths caused by faulty ignition switches could have been avoided.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Squint wrote:That's why for years, the advice has been never to adopt the first year of a new vehicle. You could also potentially say that for any piece of vaguely complicated tech. The manufacturers, no matter how much testing they do, cannot find every possible problem that might come up compared to when you sell thousands of them.
Yeah, if everyone had waited 15 years before buying a Chevy Cruze, all those needless deaths caused by faulty ignition switches could have been avoided.
Ouch, I guess it isn't too soon, huh? Oh wait, 15 years, yeah.

(Cow or somebody, get me a good reaction gif! I can't post any at work because they won't load.)

For Pony!