New manuals...

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: New manuals...

Post by theholycow »

I moved out to the boonies, for as much as RI has boonies. It is well worth having to drive longer to get anywhere -- after all, I've got a vehicle that I enjoy driving. I do have a couple parts stores and a Walmart within a 12 minute radius, but it's a 45+ minute drive to family and friends and an hour to areas with any relatively decent employment.

I commute an hour to work and there's never much traffic.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

six wrote: Image
You win some, you lose some. When you're out in the sticks, it's nice and quiet, and you have tons of space to yourself. But if you ever wanted to do anything away from home, it's always an hour drive away THROUGH THE FOREST.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Im very much not in the boonies. I wish there were some nearby with fun driving roads though
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:Im very much not in the boonies. I wish there were some nearby with fun driving roads though
I live in suburban pergatory. I hate the cities and country-folk, well the stereotype of country-folk, get on my nerves. Not a fan of suburban people either, but I can't win (yes, I recognize the irony of being a suburbanite and disliking suburbanites.)

I'm too much of a misanthrope to be comfortable anywhere.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Image
I'm too much of a misanthrope to be comfortable anywhere.
Fickset
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:I moved out to the boonies, for as much as RI has boonies. It is well worth having to drive longer to get anywhere -- after all, I've got a vehicle that I enjoy driving. I do have a couple parts stores and a Walmart within a 12 minute radius, but it's a 45+ minute drive to family and friends and an hour to areas with any relatively decent employment.

I commute an hour to work and there's never much traffic.
It's a personal matter. I used to commute for 45 minutes to an hour every day (for 5 years), and I find that the time I waste commuting could be used more productively elsewhere.

Fact is, I would LOVE to live in the country. I like to ride my bike in the country and I see these small houses on decent size plots and I always think that I'd absolutely enjoy myself there. But, the commute would kill any time that I'd otherwise have in the evening, and that's just not going to cut it.

After going from an hour worth of commuting down to 10 minutes, the difference is quite substantial. When I only have about 2 hours to myself every day, wasting those 2 hours commuting seems like a terrible idea.

That's my I'm currently living in the burbs. Not by choice, that's for sure.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I would love to be able to ride my bike to work every day. I use it to ride to campus from work every day that I go to campus, as long as there is traction on the road. But even with traffic, it's still at least 10 minutes faster to drive to work than I could bike it. If there were a place within a couple of miles, I would totally not drive that short of a commute.

My current commute is ~25-35 minutes each way. When I'm working full time and in school too, that hour suddenly is a lot of time when I could be more productive. I like driving, and my commute isn't bad, but there's s@#* to do, yo.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

Random bits and pieces from reading the replies:

I know entirely too much about vehicle/engine development. I work with #$%^ing engineers all day on engines. It's depressing to think about. Just numbers on the computer screen

The problem I have is not the amplitude but the speed of response. Those signal intercepters can only affect amplitude IE how far the ECM sees the throttle pushed vs how far it's actually pushed. It can't make the computer think any faster and it can't make the throttle actuator motor spin any faster. Add in programmed closure delay and when I'm in in-town mileage mode (1100rpm shifts, 50% throttle) and I can lift my right foot completely, THEN lift my left foot, and the revs will still pop up a few hundred which makes smooth shifting really interesting.

It isn't a delay valve in the hydraulics, they call it an accumulator. you can dump the clutch plenty fast for the ABLS (just call it traction control a-holes) to kick in.

I've only had hydraulic clutches myself, both heavy (old S10 and firebird) and light (everything else). This one's light enough I can't feel it in my heavy work boots. I've driven cable clutches too but never had one, some were light, some were not. none were significant enough for me to go "oh that's a cable clutch" As for how long they've been hydraulic, just depends on the car and mfr. Some, like the mustang and infiniti G20, held on to cable clutches into the 2000s while others had hydro clutches in the late 70s. I like someone's analogy of a video game clutch, I think that's accurate.

I agree with THC on clutch weight: I'm used to the likes of my S10 and firebird which are reasonably heavy, I'm a big guy (6-5, 270), and I've been running on the treadmill lately so I've leg muscle to spare. My wife likes the clutch weight but she's about 105lb in a wet blanket.

I also enjoy the boonies. I've always lived in town and the last place we rented was under a mile from work, walmart, lowes, best buy, pediatrician, 2 miles to downtown, library, etc. Usual city problems: tiny house and a yard not much bigger, no space to work on cars, city noise, neighbor noise, etc. Now I live just outside town on 1.5 acres with a garage as big as the last house. nearest house is close to 200' away and most of the neighbors are cool with whatever: I know for sure 3/6 other houses are armed (and practice out back) and wouldn't be surprised at more, one guy likes to light off quarter-sticks to drive off the moles (not that you notice since we're about 10 miles from an active army/national guard base), several garage/shops as big or bigger than mine. 5-8 miles to pretty much anywhere but that's fine.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Shadow wrote:But here's the problem---you're not generally letting your foot/leg fall straight down on a clutch pedal....more like down and outwards at the same time. That's why I find it hard to understand how anyone can lift their leg to put their foot on a clutch pedal and then just completely relax their leg muscles and watch the pedal drop to the floor. It's not and up/down motion...it's more of out out and down type movement.
Although the pedal motion itself is mostly a fore-aft motion with little vertical movement, that doesn't mean that gravity is uninvolved. In that position the leg, bent at the knee, is an angled truss that collapses straight if nothing (like the clutch pedal) pushes back, like an arch. Much of the leg's weight gets involved.
AHTOXA wrote:It's a personal matter. I used to commute for 45 minutes to an hour every day (for 5 years), and I find that the time I waste commuting could be used more productively elsewhere.
For me, that's my best downtime. It's not a waste at all, it's therapeutic. It's mostly just me, my car that I enjoy, my music, and a bunch of trees. I get to drive my car and not have to deal with people. There are other drivers for a lot of it but most of the time they're pretty much uninvolved.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:It's a personal matter. I used to commute for 45 minutes to an hour every day (for 5 years), and I find that the time I waste commuting could be used more productively elsewhere.
Fickset (A song is worth a million Moos)
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:.... I see these small houses on decent size plots ...
FYI

This is a plot:

and this is a lot:

Just sayin'.....
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Actually, no. A plot refers to both.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plot
See definition 4:
-a measured piece or parcel of land:
a house on a two-acre plot.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

A plot of land is a plot of land. You can either live there or be buried there. It's your plot in either case.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

The plot thickens!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:A plot of land is a plot of land. You can either live there or be buried there. It's your plot in either case.

And the plot thickens!

A lot is land that you buy to build a house. You don't get buried in a lot, you get buried in a plot. The word "plot" is usually used when talking about cemeteries or burial grounds. Native speakers don't generally use the word "plot" to describe land for a house because it sounds silly. Now a buriel plot, on the other hand....LOL