Pulled up on a car theft today

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Pulled up on a car theft today

Post by AHTOXA »

And I didn't even see it.

I live in a nice neighborhood that has very low crime. The maintenance guy in my apartment complex drives a gold-colored Impala, that's about 2 generations old. He was parked right under my window today. Normally, the maintenance guys are gone by 5pm, but today they must have had a long day.

Around 7pm, I was riding my through the parking lot, coming back from the library. It's dark and drizzling slightly. I rode by his car, and went to park under an awning, about 30 feet from where he's parked, and 90 degrees adjacent to his car.

I parked the bike and got off, and then I hear commotion. I hear screams and there's a car that's peeling off hard and there are two males running away on foot.

Turns out, that next to his gold-colored Impala, there was an identical Impala parked - same color, same gen. The guys breaking into the maintenance guy's car were already in the vehicle messing with the steering column.

The commotion started when the maintenance guys saw that something was amiss and spooked the perps, who then fled. Another resident pulled up and said that the car getting away picked up the guys that ran on foot and took off.

I'm concerned about this because my situational awareness failed me. I didn't even see that there were two identical cars right next to one another. My mind saw the perp car and assumed that it was the maintenance guy's car. I'm pissed at myself for not seeing what was right in front of me. I passed within 5 feet of the perps that were already in the vehicle trying to jack it.

As some of you know, I carry concealed and I always make a conscious attempt at being aware of my surroundings. This time, I wasn't. At all. I need to re-evaluate my mindset, because being situationally aware can prevent any deadly escalation to begin with.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Re: Pulled up on a car theft today

Post by AHTOXA »

To be clear - I have no delusions of being some sort of vigilante mofo just because I carry. I would never try to get engaged or even confront the perps. I'm just concerned that my situational awareness failed me where it shouldn't have.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Doan pheal bat, but you didn't see the monkey driving the car either, right?

Our eyes really don't take in the whole scene, just a bunch of snapshots directed in areas that may interest us. It's humid nature.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I thought this was going to be a cool Tonebone story. It was not. I am disappointed.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I haven't done one of those stories in a while. I think I have a perfect one I can share, actually.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:I'm just concerned that my situational awareness failed me where it shouldn't have.
You are human. You make human errors. Do learn from it but don't beat yourself up or worry too much.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I'm just concerned that my situational awareness failed me where it shouldn't have.
You are half human. Your bad side makes human errors. Do learn from it but don't beat yourself up or worry too much. Let a Klingon beat you up instead. Then, you both get what you want - Win-Win!
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:
You are half human. Your bad side makes human errors. Do learn from it but don't beat yourself up or worry too much. Let a Klingon beat you up instead. Then, you both get what you want - Win-Win!
Fickset
:lol: :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!