There's a First for Everything

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

There's a First for Everything

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Fiat Chrysler beats Ford in monthly retail sales for first time, reports say
Retail sales exclude discounted sales to bulk buyers such as governments and rental-car companies. They are often more profitable than fleet transactions, and they are also seen as an important reflection of consumer demand and an indicator of future used-vehicle values.

About 23 percent of Fiat Chrysler’s sales in the U.S. and Canada in the first quarter were to fleets. Ford said in a conference call today that fleet sales were 35 percent of its U.S. total. Based on that figure, Ford sold about 146,670 vehicles at retail last month.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015070 ... news-daily

Actually, Chrysler Motors was ahead of Ford Motor Company in sales a couple years back - like maybe in the 1930s or 40s. After Dobrze-Dobrze 2, Ford got their act together under the Liters hip of Hank the Deuce and the "Wiz Kids" he hired away from the Army.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Re: There's a First for Everything

Post by Rope-Pusher »

1936-1941 accordian too ALLPAR
http://allparnews.com/index.php/2015/07 ... ford-29121

And also in Nov. 2006 & Feb. 2009
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015070 ... news-daily

Boy, that internetz got's a memory like a Hawk.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Boy, that internetz got's a memory like a Hawk.
Is that better than a memory like an eagle?

Or how about an eagle?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Shirley, you remember these:
The Eagle Vision
The Eagle Premier
The Eagle Dropping
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

No, technically this IS the first time. Fiat-Chrysler was not one company either of those times. Don't you love technicalities??
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:No, technically this IS the first time. Fiat-Chrysler was not one company either of those times. Don't you love technicalities??
But Your Honor, I must protest, because I don't understand technicalities. Owl-eye nose is that the Chrysler side of FCA is carrying the FIAT side - especially in North America. Anything that sez "Jeep" or "Ram" on it is selling like hotcakes, not pasta.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Even the Jeep that's pasta underneath, from what I've been seeing here...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:Even the Jeep that's pasta underneath, from what I've been seeing here...
There may have been a million people swearing that "That's No Cherokee" and refusing to buy one, but there are 15,000 per month saying "Please take my money and gimmee a Cherokee".
That is another item in Lutz's book - you don't want to make a vehicle that 75% of people say is OK. You want to get 25% of the people that see it to say "Gotta Half fit!"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I was actually talking about the Renegade, that's actually based on a Fiat that is also available here. It's not been on the market that long and I see them frequently.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:I was actually talking about the Renegade, that's actually based on a Fiat that is also available here. It's not been on the market that long and I see them frequently.
The Renegades SUVs available in North America are built in Italy - as are the 500X CUVs. They mostly only differ from their brethren being sold in Europe by powertrain choices - we don't have any diesels available in N.A. and no 5-speed MTXs either.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:I was actually talking about the Renegade, that's actually based on a Fiat that is also available here. It's not been on the market that long and I see them frequently.
The Renegades SUVs available in North America are built in Italy - as are the 500X CUVs. They mostly only differ from their brethren being sold in Europe by powertrain choices - we don't have any diesels available in N.A. and no 5-speed MTXs either.
I didn't realize that Chrysler imported any Jeeps from Italy... I'm assuming they co-developed the 500X and the Renegade then with the intenion of exporting from Italy?

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
I didn't realize that Chrysler imported any Jeeps from Italy... I'm assuming they co-developed the 500X and the Renegade then with the intenion of exporting from Italy?
I think it is pubic knowledge that the FCA plant in Brazil will be building Renegades for the Latin American market.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I think it is pubic knowledge that the FCA plant in Brazil will be building Renegades for the Latin American market.
Not going to lie, I'm very North American-centric when it comes to automotive news. And while I know some manufacturing information for Toyota, Ford, and Mazda, I don't know manufacturing information about a ton of other makers.

So public knowledge != my knowledge in this case. TIL!

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

speaking of firsts, I just read in an old hot rod magazine that General Motors was planning to introduce a car named Mustang, but the Ford started advertizing for the Mustang and so GM had to give up the name.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:speaking of firsts, I just read in an old hot rod magazine that General Motors was planning to introduce a car named Mustang, but the Ford started advertizing for the Mustang and so GM had to give up the name.
and it was a last-minute change from Panther to Camaro...mebbe Chevy got wind that Mercury was planning the Cougar and they didn't want to have another cat.