Does it matter where they are built?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Does it matter where they are built?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

JLR TO BUILD IN SLOVAKIA - from Autoline
In an effort to become more competitive globally, Jaguar Land Rover is considering to build a new manufacturing plant in Slovakia. The company signed a letter of intent with the Slovak government and a final decision is expected later this year. The plant will have the capacity to build 300,000 aluminum JLR vehicles annually. But no word yet on what those models will be. The first cars are expected to roll off the line in 2018. The company said it looked at a number of sites in the U.S., Mexico and Europe but chose Slovakia because it’s a good location logistically and close to its supply chain.

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en- ... ns_110815/

One of the comments:
" It’s just the priciple of the thing. If I bought a Benz, I’d rather it came from Germany than Mexico, even though the quality might be equal. Yeah, Germany has a much better reputation than Britain for building cars, but some cars should be built in the UK anyway. If I were a billionaire, I’d want my Rolls to be built in England, even though they could build it better in, say, Japan."

When FCA talked about producing Jeep vehicles overseas, angry Jeepers roared. FCA had to restate that they weren't talking about Wranglers, but Renegades, Cherokees, and other future models. Then they caught hell again when Sergio said that they may have to move Wrangler production out of Toledo, Ohio, historic home of Willys Overland (The smokestack with the word Overland on it is still visible as you drive past on I-75). It seems that there is a strong sentiment over where Jeep vehicles are built.

So, what do YOU think? Would it matter to you where an iconic vehicle was built? Would you buy a CHAAB? (a SAAB built in China), or a Chimini?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Does it matter where they are built?

Post by kevinf »

My current vehicles were made in America (Saturn Ion) and Japan (Kawasaki Vulcan) :)

I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as that model has a good reputation. I'd definitely give bonus points to vehicles manufactured in countries that pay proper wages though.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Depends on your definition of "built in..." My car was assembled in Michigan with a Spanish engine and a German transmission; the definition of "some assembly required."

Robots are robots.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If the Jag-you-are is the quintessential British sports car, would you prefer that it be built in the Great Britain? Would you rather that your 911 was built in "der fatherland"? Yanno, when they go chasing around for third-world labor rates, they aren't intending to pass along the savings to their customers. It's a profit thang!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"