Another Day, Another Decent Driver

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Another Day, Another Decent Driver

Post by theholycow »

Hey, so why not a positive thread to give credit where credit is due?

Today while getting on the highway on that ramp that's straight and downhill until it switches to uphill just before the merge lane starts, the Honda Fit in front of me actually used the downhill portion for acceleration so that I wasn't stuck merging into 70mph truck convoys at 45mph.

Then, when I got to that right turn where left-turning SUVs/pickups/minivans/etc always stop way too far forward and block my view, a pickup stopped where it ought to and I was able to see down the lane (while the pickup driver could easily see above and past my car).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Another Day, Another Decent Driver

Post by tankinbeans »

I like this idea!

Now, to seek out polite drivers...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So, there was this slow driver, I never know HOW they get to the front of a line of trafic if they drive this slow all the time, but anyway, they pulled off onto the shoulder and let all the drivers behind them pass by before pulling back out onto the road - NOT!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Today I didnt lay on my horn when someone was driving 20 in a 35. That means something, right? I only yelled a little.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey, if they actually use a turn signal around here, I consider them decent. Because majority do not.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:Today I didnt lay on my horn when someone was driving 20 in a 35. That means something, right? I only yelled a little.
I don't think anyone is going to nominate you for this thread... but plus side, you didn't seem like a complete eh-whole, right?

I've been thinking about the past couple of days driving and it's difficult to pick out anyone for doing anything exceptionally good. People have behaved decent enough and shouldn't be nominated for this or the idiot driver topic...

I think that's good overall. Maybe? :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Masshole and proud
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Move out of the city, then when someone's going intolerably slow you can just pass.

watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Not legally. The rural roads are all too windy and narrow with no passing zones anywhere.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:Not legally.
So what? I bet you don't think twice about breaking traffic laws with worse penalties. I bet you violate speed limits at almost all times when there's not somebody slower in front...the cheapest speeding ticket you'll ever get costs more than an illegal pass ticket and most speeding tickets cost 2 to 4 times as much, not to mention the different effects on insurance rates.

watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I speed (though not usually more than 5mph unless I know the road very well) and I perform rolling stops when its safe to do so. Ive made an occasional illegal U turn. Thats about it.

I am not a fan of illegal passing at all. Maybe it stems from the fact that most of my formative driving was done on the aforementioned narrow winding rural roads. I usually either wait for a legal opportunity, deal with it, or try to get the offending slow driver to pull over with liberal use of high beam flashing (rarely). If Im in my hometown or somewhere else I know incredibly well I also have a tendency to take an alternative route. Id rather drive longer and appropriate speeds than save time overall and drive slow.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Decent drivers are the ones that let me cross the road before turning, even if they can go first. thanks guys. thanks for not honking as i slowly-ish walk across the road (i did have a person holler "walk faster" once....)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

wannabe wrote:Decent drivers are the ones that let me cross the road before turning, even if they can go first. thanks guys. thanks for not honking as i slowly-ish walk across the road (i did have a person holler "walk faster" once....)
That shouldn't be a decent thing, that should be standard. You (I assume) have the right of way, so they should wait.

It's certainly not always the case around town for me either, but most people are pretty good about it.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Squint wrote:
wannabe wrote:Decent drivers are the ones that let me cross the road before turning, even if they can go first. thanks guys. thanks for not honking as i slowly-ish walk across the road (i did have a person holler "walk faster" once....)
That shouldn't be a decent thing, that should be standard. You (I assume) have the right of way, so they should wait.

It's certainly not always the case around town for me either, but most people are pretty good about it.
its law that pedestrians go first. however the "gun it" person, on the inside, usually goes first and everyone else waits. they do have a 27second light, and the main highway has a 70second light (i was bored, so i counted) and i can't cross both sides + median in 27 seconds (unless i run) so i am standing in the median for a while.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I always wait in that case. I only get hot under the collar when the pedestrian intentionally slows down and mugs. That irks me no end.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!