Careless Emission inspectors..

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW e30, e36. LincolnMK8

Careless Emission inspectors..

Post by Puchrider »

Ok, so my BMW is a 1995 which means it has to be put on the dyno to be tested.

The emission tester can't drive manual correctly! He had to reposition the car and, while doing so, popped it out of reverse which never happens! Then he revs up really high and slips the clutch! I really wanted to confront him about it but didn't want to make a seen... is there any rule that says an INSPECTOR must test it? I understand how to maintain certain speeds and RPMS which is what they are doing. I googled "can I perform an emission test myself" but no luck at all...
"If you're out of gear, you're out of control" - Johnny Mock

Banana Tranny Swap: https://sites.google.com/site/bananalincolnmark8/home
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: Careless Emission inspectors..

Post by six »

It varies by state, but I've never heard of anyone letting the owner do the testing. Just go to a different guy next time. :)
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm guessing it would be a liability issue on all sides. An inexperienced operator could damage the equipment or himself. The location could certify results which they couldn't verify.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

We don't do inspections in Kentucky so I couldn't tell you. I will agree with six that you should definitely go to a different guy next time. I know manuals aren't super common, but seriously? A person works in a car driving related field and they can't drive a manual?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I've heard stories of valets not being able to drive a stick and lot guys for dealerships not being able to drive sticks.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW e30, e36. LincolnMK8

Post by Puchrider »

I only have to because I'm near Atlanta (I believe in a few years my car will be exempt because of its age). I wouldn't say he had no knowledge on how to drive stick, but there was really a lot left to be desired... That pop out of reverse was painful :shock: !
"If you're out of gear, you're out of control" - Johnny Mock

Banana Tranny Swap: https://sites.google.com/site/bananalincolnmark8/home
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Puchrider wrote:I only have to because I'm near Atlanta (I believe in a few years my car will be exempt because of its age). I wouldn't say he had no knowledge on how to drive stick, but there was really a lot left to be desired... That pop out of reverse was painful :shock: !
Being of the Amish faith is like reading literacy - people can be reticent about letting on that they don't know how to do it.
...Hey, you weren't the guy I ran off the road the other day, were you? It was Tuesday afternoon and I was driving a Hyundai Accent rental over near 20 heading West from I-75 toward Atlanta Motor Speedway? (I swear it was the only road within 50 miles of Atlanta that didn't have "Peachtree" in its name)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Puchrider wrote:I only have to because I'm near Atlanta (I believe in a few years my car will be exempt because of its age). I wouldn't say he had no knowledge on how to drive stick, but there was really a lot left to be desired... That pop out of reverse was painful :shock: !
...Hey, you weren't the guy I ran off the road the other day, were you? It was Tuesday afternoon and I was driving a Hyundai Accent rental over near 20 heading West from I-75 toward Atlanta Motor Speedway? (I swear it was the only road within 50 miles of Atlanta that didn't have "Peachtree" in its name)
there are roads in atl that don't have peachtree in its name?! *gasp*

(i hate spotting calls in atlanta because of peachtree)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
there are roads in atl that don't have peachtree in its name?! *gasp*

(i hate spotting calls in atlanta because of peachtree)
I think they reached the limit and had to start coming up with different names. So sad to see the end of a tradition.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

I'm in GA too and I've been to places that let me drive my own car. With my '86 Fiero people couldn't drive it well enough to keep the RPM steady enough for the test so they had me drive it. If I were you I'd demand to drive it myself because of them potentially damaging the car, and I'd threaten to just go to another shop. Some will let you drive, you just have to find the right one and keep going there.

I also used to have friends who would pass my cars. No cat or EGR ftw.