8 years driving a manual and now this...

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

8 years driving a manual and now this...

Post by AHTOXA »

I love my new Forester, but it has one quirk. The throttle mapping is extremely agressive at tip-in.

This means that when I fart onto the gas pedal, it revs up to 2k.

Launching at anything less than 1500 revs is like hitting a 2 inch target at 1000 yards. With a Mosin Nagant rifle from 1938.

So, I either launch at 15-1600 or nearly stall at idle when taking off. In fact, I have stalled this car about 4 times since I bought it 2.5 months ago, which is more than I've stalled any other car in the last 3 years.

This isn't just me, and this is a common complaint about the mapping. Even the CVT owners notice the overly agressive jumpiness off the line.

Launching at anything Ober 1000-1100 bothers me, so I'm just venting my frustration. I'm 3800 miles into the car and haven't gotten completely used to it yet and feel like a noob on some days, despite close to 200 miles of manual experience under my belt, which includes many cars and all sorts of DBW setups.

I could not imagine learning on this car. That probably would have turned me off manuals forever.

But, I still love the car. In the end, I'll just get used to thee quirk.

Edit. Stalled it just today when I was over thinking all of this. It died in a weird way and wouldn't start for good 10 seconds. Very weird - I think it actually got flooded a bit when it died.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Re: 8 years driving a manual and now this...

Post by AHTOXA »

Also, the agressive tip in isn't an issue if I always wanted to do spirited launches off the line. But alas, I often start out easy for the first second or so until the clutch engages, and then feed in healthy throttle.

Having written all that, I'm off to ride my motorcycle, with a good old cable-driven throttle and clutch. At least it does what I say, when I say it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Must be that all Foresters are like that.

(What was that other guy thinking, picking the wet lane against an AWD vehicle?)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

No wonder the forester felt fast to me... I tested it out in my accord and the accord doesn't seem to have the same problem. I used the gas pedal as a bass drum pedal to play along to a song and it didn't seem to affect the throttle Imput too much. Granted, I was only pushing it it maybe half an inch or so...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

AHTOXA wrote: With a Mosin Nagant rifle from 1938.
Rifle is fine.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

ColJessip wrote:
Rifle is fine.
:lol: :lol:

Tony, if the launch is so aggressive, can you just no gas launch briefly every time then get on the gas pedal? AKA modify your style slightly?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:
ColJessip wrote:
Rifle is fine.
:lol: :lol:

Tony, if the launch is so aggressive, can you just no gas launch briefly every time then get on the gas pedal? AKA modify your style slightly?
Yeah, I've been trying various methods to see what works best as I get acclimated with this thing.

These motors idle at 500 RPM, so not a whole lot of wiggle room for a no-gas launch, although engine does have decent torque.

Truth be told, my OCD has been kicking hard the last few days and I tend to over-analyze and obsess about everything when this happens. It's been triggered primarily by work stress.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

AHTOXA wrote:...despite close to 200 miles of manual experience under my belt...
You're missing quite a few zeros there :)

On the topic's note, I am having an opposite problem. After almost a decade of driving rev-happy 4 and 6 cylinder Japanese cars, this ginormous V8 beast has a gas pedal that is not quite as responsive. Which means I am constantly launching at or even below idle. Not an issue for a 415HP LS3 of course, but still.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

six wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:...despite close to 200 miles of manual experience under my belt...
That's just the part under his belt.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

AHTOXA wrote:... when I fart onto the gas pedal ...
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

Uhhh. Why don't you just no-gas launch? I do that the majority of the time in my Sonic and even the 1.4L with no spool can do that.

You test drove the car when you bought it? And it drove like this? And you still bought it? :lol:

Or maybe its not designed for dudes of your stature? I know I hate driving Hondas because its like they design the throttle/brake sensitivity for someone's grandmother, just way too sensitive. I mean I can slam **** to the floor just fine I don't need a light throttle/brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

SonicHKS wrote:Uhhh. Why don't you just no-gas launch? I do that the majority of the time in my Sonic and even the 1.4L with no spool can do that.

You test drove the car when you bought it? And it drove like this? And you still bought it? :lol:

Or maybe its not designed for dudes of your stature? I know I hate driving Hondas because its like they design the throttle/brake sensitivity for someone's grandmother, just way too sensitive. I mean I can slam **** to the floor just fine I don't need a light throttle/brake.
he has a forester now, bye bye sonic. also, who notices all of a car's "character flaws" on a test drive?? i test drove my accord 2-3 times and drove it over 100 miles before getting it, and i don't think i noticed any of its quirks.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

potownrob wrote:
SonicHKS wrote:Uhhh. Why don't you just no-gas launch? I do that the majority of the time in my Sonic and even the 1.4L with no spool can do that.

he has a forester now, bye bye sonic. also, who notices all of a car's "character flaws" on a test drive?? i test drove my accord 2-3 times and drove it over 100 miles before getting it, and i don't think i noticed any of its quirks.
Somehow, I think most people would notice the issue he's complaining about, unless all he did was hoon the test drive. Like seriously, if I test drove a car and had issues launching I wouldn't buy it.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
six wrote:
That's just the part under his belt.
ROFL :lol:
SonicHKS wrote:
Somehow, I think most people would notice the issue he's complaining about, unless all he did was hoon the test drive. Like seriously, if I test drove a car and had issues launching I wouldn't buy it.

Very nice
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

SonicHKS wrote:Somehow, I think most people would notice the issue he's complaining about, unless all he did was hoon the test drive. Like seriously, if I test drove a car and had issues launching I wouldn't buy it.
Some people probably do only hoon on test drives, figuring if it does well hooning then it will do fine in normal driving.

Then there's me, sometimes I get all polite and don't want to beat on someone else's car, and if it's brand new then I don't want to hoon before it's broken in...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD