Vehicle classifieds 'Automatic!'

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Vehicle classifieds 'Automatic!'

Post by Stelcom66 »

I wonder why classified ads will still promote that the vehicle is automatic, no matter what kind. I first noticed it for full size trucks, most stopped offering manual transmissions around 2005 except for a Dodge Ram 2500 with a diesel - then noticed it's even noted for minivans. I did have two minivans with a standard shift, an '85 Dodge Caravan and an '88 Ford Aerostar. Maybe equally rare was my 1980 Ford Club Wagon with a 4 speed manual floor shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Vehicle classifieds 'Automatic!'

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Stelcom66 wrote:I wonder why classified ads will still promote that the vehicle is automatic, no matter what kind. I first noticed it for full size trucks, most stopped offering manual transmissions around 2005 except for a Dodge Ram 2500 with a diesel - then noticed it's even noted for minivans. I did have two minivans with a standard shift, an '85 Dodge Caravan and an '88 Ford Aerostar. Maybe equally rare was my 1980 Ford Club Wagon with a 4 speed manual floor shift.
"Lookie this feller rye cheer. He's lookin at this '57 Dodge. Gotcher heater, gotcher wipers, gotcher overdrive and it's gotcher "Easy Rider Rifle Rack", with room for not one, not two, but THREE of your favorite rifles!"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

so that people don't call asking if its a stick? because they want a stick, but they're hard to find? Could be tranny swapped as well
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Not everyone is a car guru and knows what vehicles aren't available with manuals.

I find far more annoying the ads that are categorized as manuals when they are not (which seems to be about 80% of the listings categorized as manuals).
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

I suppose it's not common knowledge that manual transmissions are becoming scarce, it's more apparent to those that want them, like us. I had co-workers insist you could still get a manual in a base half ton pickup truck by special order.

Speaking of Dodges and pickups, my first truck, A 1980 D150 was a 4 speed manual with the 225 slant 6. I won't even attempt to do an accent like Rope Pusher can.

I've been disappointed many times when a vehicle (more so with trucks) is advertised as a manual - then the interior photo shows the column shift.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

What bugs me most is VIN-based listings that say something like "4-Speed Automatic | 5-Speed Manual". Well, which is it? Most of the other listings for this model say just "4-Speed Automatic", why can't this one be clear?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:What bugs me most is VIN-based listings that say something like "4-Speed Automatic | 5-Speed Manual". Well, which is it? Most of the other listings for this model say just "4-Speed Automatic", why can't this one be clear?
I did one of those for my car once and was told that it had a 4.6 litre modular V8 or something of that nature. I laughed.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Stelcom66 wrote:I suppose it's not common knowledge that manual transmissions are becoming scarce, it's more apparent to those that want them, like us. I had co-workers insist you could still get a manual in a base half ton pickup truck by special order.

Speaking of Dodges and pickups, my first truck, A 1980 D150 was a 4 speed manual with the 225 slant 6. I won't even attempt to do an accent like Rope Pusher can.

I've been disappointed many times when a vehicle (more so with trucks) is advertised as a manual - then the interior photo shows the column shift.
Reminds me when my friend went to a flea market and bought a home-made 'am radio - buncha parts mounted to a wooden board and some fahnstock clips along the back edge labeled: Ground, Antenna, B1+, B1-, B2+, B2- and two labeled Headphone.

Turns out that even if the seller was from Georgia, the radio was an AM radio, not the Ham radio we thought it might be.

So you had an A-833 4-speed MT in that Dodge pick-m-up? Those were cleverly-reengineered to swap 3rd and 4th gear positions by flipping the lever on the side of the trans 180 degrees and changing the 3rd gear ratio to an overdrive ratio. End result is they were able to cost-effectively offer improved highway fuel smileage without investing in a totally new transmission design.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i think it also stems from the days of automatics not being as prevalent as they are nowadays in the states. i remember even back 20 years ago you could find a good number of manuals round these here parts. was kinda important to know whether you were selling an auto or a manual. i remember calling about an integra (we're talking back in the early 2000s) that didn't say whether it was auto or manual. talk about awkward when the girl answered and said it was an automatic. had to tell her it wasn't for me. nowadays it can be important, and is a good idea nonetheless, as you're bound to get bombarded with calls, texts or emails asking about it otherwise.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:What bugs me most is VIN-based listings that say something like "4-Speed Automatic | 5-Speed Manual". Well, which is it? Most of the other listings for this model say just "4-Speed Automatic", why can't this one be clear?
On a tangent, but I wonder how many cars that are currently produced for sale in NA market still come with 4-speed autos. I'm trying to think of one, but cannot at the moment. Seem they are all 5 speed or more.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:
On a tangent, but I wonder how many cars that are currently produced for sale in NA market still come with 4-speed autos. I'm trying to think of one, but cannot at the moment. Seem they are all 5 speed or more.
dont forget about the Yaris
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Cuatro Cilindros Dodge Journey
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Reminds me when my friend went to a flea market and bought a home-made 'am radio - buncha parts mounted to a wooden board and some fahnstock clips along the back edge labeled: Ground, Antenna, B1+, B1-, B2+, B2- and two labeled Headphone.

Turns out that even if the seller was from Georgia, the radio was an AM radio, not the Ham radio we thought it might be.

So you had an A-833 4-speed MT in that Dodge pick-m-up? Those were cleverly-reengineered to swap 3rd and 4th gear positions by flipping the lever on the side of the trans 180 degrees and changing the 3rd gear ratio to an overdrive ratio. End result is they were able to cost-effectively offer improved highway fuel mileage without investing in a totally new transmission design.
That must have been an A-833 in the Dodge. I recall quite an increase in ratio from 1st to 2nd, If you didn't get to at least a moderately high rpm in 1st, 2nd almost seemed too high and the drivetrain would shudder a bit. Back in the 80s I recall a neighbor who had a Dodge Aspen - with the 4 speed on the floor and 225 6. I wonder if that was the same drivetrain as my Dodge truck?

Been to my share of Ham radio flea markets. I recall picking up up a 23 Single Sideband CB modified for the 10-meter band. Fortunately the unit was as described, still at the stock 5 watts but different frequencies.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

If there wasn't a transmission category to input, there also would not be any reason to list manual transmissions. Seems pretty logical to me.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

It should be easier. "Insert picture of shit lever and footwell here..." Those adept at selfieing would be able to figure it out then.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!