Infant Gratification?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

How long would you be willing to wait for a "Build to Order" vehicle?

2 Weeks
No votes
1 Month
22%
6 Weeks
44%
2 Months
33%
Would not wait a day
No votes

Total votes: 9

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Infant Gratification?

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
someone once said to buy the car you want to drive and not the one you want to be seen in.
But what if I bought the car I want to drive and want to be seen it? :D
haha, well played, sir 8) :!:
The main lights in combo with with fogs are plenty bright, and the high beams shine a mile ahead.
I'm not sure how it works with the TSI but I couldn't stand the 'unfinished' look with the GTI halogens. LED fogs across the board and then yellow halogen lights. It literally bothered me that the tail lights weren't LED either so I ordered a pair of the GTI LED tail lights with the amber directional. I already have the LED license plate lights and LED front directional as well.
yeah, it looks more uniform with the Golf TSIs - don't think the fogs are LED; they're bright as hell though (at least looking at them from the front).

EDIT: uploaded pics of the lights in action and daytime frontal views:

*note: camera was set to meter off of lights or area near them (shot metered off of darker areas is much brighter)

**note: car aimed slightly downhill on driveway

and a couple of pics of the blue beast with a b7 a4 (my favorite looking a4 generation):

You missed the posts explaining why I was getting a new car (to ditch the stick).
Missed it.
:evil: :x :evil:
Putting more than 1-2k down on a lease is typically considered foolish.
Never really understood this notion but a lot of variables could be at play. For one, for people that refuse to put anything but a security deposit down (typically $500) do you really want to be paying $260+ a month for a Civic LX for 36 months? They get the money either way nothings for free and if it was me (personally) I'd rather do it up front and be done with it then have more then I "think I have".
what i've read about that points out that you could hold the money in an account (or even under your bed) or invest it rather than putting it down on the lease. if you total a lease car, typically you lose everything you put into the lease and have to start over. That's one of the main risks of a lease. of course, your investments could turn sour and you could lose out on that end too. it makes much more sense to put more money down on a loan though (you could also invest or hold onto money with a loan too, but the payments will typically be much bigger).
I think there is a negative stigma about leasing which is for the most part uncalled for.
I highly recommend leasing to the right candidates... I would be still doing it if I was a "right candidate" but I'm no longer. My best friend who had a negative stigma about leasing I literally had to sell the idea to him even though he was essentially the perfect candidate. I think he's glad I did too...
yeah, it's not ideal for people like you who want to put a lot down on the car and keep it for many years, but many other people can benefit from the lower payments and other options a lease offers.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:someone once said to buy the car you want to drive and not the one you want to be seen in.
Sounds like something I'd say if I had thought of it, and now I will say it if I remember. It's an excellent way to summarize a lot of my priorities/preferences. However, it certainly doesn't apply to everybody. A little introspection, self-analysis, and realism can help determine if it applies to you ("you" generic, not "you" potownrob).

Plenty of people get lots of satisfaction and gratification from being admired, getting attention, etc; for such people, a cool/badass/masculine/etc aesthetic quality can and should be an important part of the buying decision. Such people get from that image a similar result to what I get from my practicality/cost/performance preferences.

I myself do have a preferred image; but because it's not like the aforementioned commonly sought type I used to think of myself as not concerned with image. In recent years I've come to understand that I do care about image, wanting the unpopular boring image, but my level of give-a-damn is insufficient for it to be a large part of my decision-making process. What's kinda funny is I often like some types of badass aesthetics and if I owned such a car then looking at it would make me want to drive it -- but then driving it, no longer seeing the outside myself, I would be uncomfortable with the attention.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm concerned with image insofar as to say that I can't stand having the same color as everybody else. Hence my requirement that a car be anything other than black, white or silver. There are other cars that I won't touch because I don't want to be associated with their primary buying demographic (sporty Subarus, anodine Toyotas).

I'm a bit vain, but mostly I just buy what I like.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

tankinbeans wrote:There are other cars that I won't touch because I don't want to be associated with their primary buying demographic (sporty Subarus, anodine Toyotas).
Sounds like Apple phones...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:There are other cars that I won't touch because I don't want to be associated with their primary buying demographic (sporty Subarus, anodine Toyotas).
Sounds like Apple phones...
Those too.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Wait, what's wrong with Apple phones?!? Did I miss the memo?? :o
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Potown the uploaded pics look great- they do justice for your cause without a doubt. I think the car looks great as well- I like your alloys better then the stock GTI ones... I really think VW makes pretty good looking stock alloy's if not a bit expensive. The B7 is a nice touch too!
if you total a lease car, typically you lose everything you put into the lease and have to start over. That's one of the main risks of a lease.
I don't really recall fully but I'm pretty sure GAP insurance could at least aid in any sort of accident or total loss. I really don't understand how it's not required for leasing and such... Not too sure how it applies for a total'ed vehicle (it probably doesn't full on help) but I remember reading that it is for consumer protection in such events. I'm sure plenty of people wreck/total lease vehicles and don't go bankrupt in doing so.
yeah, it's not ideal for people like you who want to put a lot down on the car and keep it for many years, but many other people can benefit from the lower payments and other options a lease offers.
It's not ideal for me because I put on a minimum a year 12,000 roughly and since the job switch and the girlfriend distance I'll prob see that number become closer to 13,000. I didn't want to take a risk and I also kind of wanted to enjoy ownership of an asset again... albeit a dieselgate one.. :?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Gap was baked into my lease when I had it. Car dies in a bout of scary crashiness and it wipes out any of the remaining balance (really nice if you cooked in some negative equity).

13k isn't really that much. You can get a lease for 15k a year, even if it's a touch more expensive. I've had my car for a year and 3 weeks and it's just shy of 20k.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:Wait, what's wrong with Apple phones?!? Did I miss the memo?? :o
Use context clues and you'll finger it out.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:Wait, what's wrong with Apple phones?!? Did I miss the memo?? :o
idk. i like them :D
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:Potown the uploaded pics look great- they do justice for your cause without a doubt. I think the car looks great as well- I like your alloys better then the stock GTI ones... I really think VW makes pretty good looking stock alloy's if not a bit expensive. The B7 is a nice touch too!
Thanks!! The lights definitely don't look as nice as the LP lights during the day at least. The rims were one reason I pushed for the SE over the S with sunroof.
if you total a lease car, typically you lose everything you put into the lease and have to start over. That's one of the main risks of a lease.
I don't really recall fully but I'm pretty sure GAP insurance could at least aid in any sort of accident or total loss. I really don't understand how it's not required for leasing and such... Not too sure how it applies for a total'ed vehicle (it probably doesn't full on help) but I remember reading that it is for consumer protection in such events. I'm sure plenty of people wreck/total lease vehicles and don't go bankrupt in doing so.
GAP is required in NYS, but it doesn't cover you losing your down payment or any payments you've made; it covers any gap in value between what the car is worth before the crash and what you owe on the lease.
It's not ideal for me because I put on a minimum a year 12,000 roughly and since the job switch and the girlfriend distance I'll prob see that number become closer to 13,000. I didn't want to take a risk and I also kind of wanted to enjoy ownership of an asset again... albeit a dieselgate one.. :?
12k miles per year is typical for a lease and not stretching the benefits of leasing. 15k or more is where it starts to make less sense.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

13k isn't really that much. You can get a lease for 15k a year, even if it's a touch more expensive.
I really don't think that's true or at least in New York. I only have had passing conversations about mile extending leases up to 15k and I can't remember specifics but I do remember enough to know that the deal turned inside out which is how I ended up where I'm at. Some standard lease deals depending on brand also was advertised at 10k even. If I was going to lease a car though I would've never made it to manual transmission period... I'd be in some Audi A4 or BMW 328. I'm fairly happy where I landed at though.

I know I've had some quibbles with my car but it honestly is a really rewarding and engaging experience IMO. It's going to sound snobish but I like the German feel of this car that I've never really felt in another car I've driven. It just feels like it's made for driving and I couldn't find that feeling in the WRX or ST. I really am curious to see how much this car feels like the Audi A3 and vice versa.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
13k isn't really that much. You can get a lease for 15k a year, even if it's a touch more expensive.
I really don't think that's true or at least in New York. I only have had passing conversations about mile extending leases up to 15k and I can't remember specifics but I do remember enough to know that the deal turned inside out which is how I ended up where I'm at. Some standard lease deals depending on brand also was advertised at 10k even. If I was going to lease a car though I would've never made it to manual transmission period... I'd be in some Audi A4 or BMW 328. I'm fairly happy where I landed at though.
i guess it all depends on the residuals and how the lease deal is structured. A lot of the ones advertised around here are based on 12k miles, so paying ~$10 more per month to get 15k miles isn't a big jump. Changing a 7k (!!) or 10k lease to 15k is not as mild a jump.
I know I've had some quibbles with my car but it honestly is a really rewarding and engaging experience IMO. It's going to sound snobish but I like the German feel of this car that I've never really felt in another car I've driven. It just feels like it's made for driving and I couldn't find that feeling in the WRX or ST. I really am curious to see how much this car feels like the Audi A3 and vice versa.
amen, amen I tell you. I know mines not as quick or sporty as a GTI but it still has some of the same traits. It's nice to be back in a real car. A car that feels like a car should. Quibbles be darned, these are real nice cars.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:i guess it all depends on the residuals and how the lease deal is structured. A lot of the ones advertised around here are based on 12k miles, so paying ~$10 more per month to get 15k miles isn't a big jump. Changing a 7k (!!) or 10k lease to 15k is not as mild a jump.
When I leased my VW I chose the 15,000 mile/year option for slightly more money. Then they threw in all the fees and crap and it went up by another $80. I should have backed out. Ah well, that's long in the past now.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:i guess it all depends on the residuals and how the lease deal is structured. A lot of the ones advertised around here are based on 12k miles, so paying ~$10 more per month to get 15k miles isn't a big jump. Changing a 7k (!!) or 10k lease to 15k is not as mild a jump.
When I leased my VW I chose the 15,000 mile/year option for slightly more money. Then they threw in all the fees and crap and it went up by another $80. I should have backed out. Ah well, that's long in the past now.
you're supposed to pay those fees and crap up front in the down payment; didn't you get the memo?!? :o :shock: :oops: :lol: 8)