Infant Gratification?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

How long would you be willing to wait for a "Build to Order" vehicle?

2 Weeks
No votes
1 Month
22%
6 Weeks
44%
2 Months
33%
Would not wait a day
No votes

Total votes: 9

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Infant Gratification?

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
is this why your payments are over $600?? :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:
For me? Never... My 'new' KIA lease at the time my payments were only $175 a month for a 3 year term. This car I took an outside small bank loan on a 3 year term again and my payments are only $249 and change for 36 months but I OWN this car once that's paid off. I don't really believe in lease monthly payments over $300 and for financing w/ the intention of ownership I probably wouldn't pay more then $400 a month and even that would be a stretch. My rates right now and in the past are jokingly low compared to what I paid in school loans when I was doing those.
glad to hear you (somehow) got such a low payment. I assume you paid part of it in cash??
yeah, it's bad down there near the city. up here, the manuals are easier to find. the people of the vortex always suggest doing a nationwide search for the car you want and taking it from there. i personally settled for a car on the lot, after much haggling. you still haven't guessed what i have btw
I actually was a "lucky one" that intercepted someones factory order who I guess is my doppelganger except they flubbed finding funds for the car. I wanted an S model (lowest trim level) because it had the plaid cloth, PP package (because it had an LSD), LP package (because of the HID's), and manual transmission (because I'm here 8) ). I didn't realize in hindsight how difficult it is to obtain this until I heard pretty much everyone else had to factory order this configuration.
that explains it. I thought you were some kind of super shopper before who somehow got them to actually order you a car and had the patience to wait for it to arrive. :lol:
Rob, is it a Golf Type R?
I'm guessing this is the case judging by process of elimination but I can't really see on the thumbnail avatar that well lol.
It's not a Golf R...it looks like tankin already figured out how to see the pictures better, but doesn't know his VWs well enough... :oops:
Last edited by potownrob on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I see it's a turbo.
son, know thy VWs 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
son, know thy VWs 8)
TSi doesn't mean turbo?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

glad to hear you (somehow) got such a low payment. I assume you paid most* of it in cash??
Corrected lol. It also helps having excellent credit and having less then 1.4% on the bank loan but it's a jokingly small loan nonetheless.
that explains it. I thought you were some kind of super shopper before who somehow got them to actually order you a car and had the patience to wait for it to arrive. :lol:
I got lucky but it's not to say I wouldn't of waited 3-4 months. I would've. I'm not trying to justify my decision but I just don't believe in compromises when it comes to brand new vehicles that you clearly are paying a premium for. Get what you want... to a tee. I'm honestly not that patient of a person in most things but this is something that needs to be done.
It's not a Golf R...it looks like tankin already figured out how to see the pictures better, but doesn't know his VWs well enough to know what the different badges on the car mean... :oops:
Well that leads process of elimination to Golf TSI or Golf TDI. That kind of surprises me that you were willing to go from a Honda Accord 6 speed to a 5 speed if it was the TSI though... but I guess this is your chance to tell me the gearing is well done in the 5 speed.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:
son, know thy VWs 8)
TSi doesn't mean turbo?
you were right about it having a turbo but, if you knew your VWs, you'd know which model has that badge. the wheels are also particular to a certain trim level.
Last edited by potownrob on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I've never been interested enough in VW to pay much attention.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
glad to hear you (somehow) got such a low payment. I assume you paid most* of it in cash??
Corrected lol. It also helps having excellent credit and having less then 1.4% on the bank loan but it's a jokingly small loan nonetheless.
ok, now it makes more sense
I got lucky but it's not to say I wouldn't of waited 3-4 months. I would've. I'm not trying to justify my decision but I just don't believe in compromises when it comes to brand new vehicles that you clearly are paying a premium for. Get what you want... to a tee. I'm honestly not that patient of a person in most things but this is something that needs to be done.
gotcha. non-lighting package lights are much brighter than people made them out to be, btw. kessy is something else too.
It's not a Golf R...it looks like tankin already figured out how to see the pictures better, but doesn't know his VWs well enough to know what the different badges on the car mean... :oops:
Well that leads process of elimination to Golf TSI or Golf TDI. That kind of surprises me that you were willing to go from a Honda Accord 6 speed to a 5 speed if it was the TSI though... but I guess this is your chance to tell me the gearing is well done in the 5 speed.
what makes you think i got a 5 speed?? :?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I've never been interested enough in VW to pay much attention.
hope you give them another chance, before it's too late... :o :lol: 8)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
is this why your payments are over $600?? :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:
For me? Never... My 'new' KIA lease at the time my payments were only $175 a month for a 3 year term. This car I took an outside small bank loan on a 3 year term again and my payments are only $249 and change for 36 months but I OWN this car once that's paid off. I don't really believe in lease monthly payments over $300 and for financing w/ the intention of ownership I probably wouldn't pay more then $400 a month and even that would be a stretch. My rates right now and in the past are jokingly low compared to what I paid in school loans when I was doing those.
a lot of misconception about leasing. you can buy out, trade in, sell, pay off or have someone take over the payments on a lease. it is more versatile than a loan. the only issues can come if you either actually keep the car long enough and turn it in at lease end, or if you total the car (and had a large down payment). do you really want to own the gti for the next 5-10 years??
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:I noticed it's a turbo.

ftfy
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I've never been interested enough in VW to pay much attention.
hope you give them another chance, before it's too late... :o :lol: 8)
If somebody pays me to drive one, I will. Fair?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

gotcha. non-lighting package lights are much brighter than people made them out to be, btw. kessy is something else too.
Have never heard one positive remark about the non-lighting package in the 12 months I've been on Vortex in the MK7 section. 99% either fall under two sections (or even both); regretting not getting the OEM package or going with Ed's replicas or the Helix after market ones. I saw a non-LP GTI at night and didn't even know it was a GTI behind me until I saw the rear. The LP lights don't only add what I feel like is the best head lights I ever used in a car but it's a distinguished, characteristic, aesthetic both for the DRL and at night. I like it personally because it doesn't try and copy the Audi trademark look but it still doesn't look cheap or unpolished.
Well, speaking on the forum "StandardShift" I'm making the assumption you got a manual. You process eliminated Golf R (6 Speed man/DSG), GTI (6 Speed man/DSG), so you're last 3 options on the totem pole are 'Golf TSI' (5 Speed man/6 speed slush), 'Golf TDI' (6 speed man/DSG), or E-Golf (the long shot). I don't know how to blow the picture up but if Tankin said there's a TSI badge then it has to be the 'TSI'... Unless my eyes are bad and this isn't even in the MK7 generation period lol- then I'd be thankful I have optical insurance now.
a lot of misconception about leasing. you can buy out, trade in, sell, pay off or have someone take over the payments on a lease. it is more versatile than a loan. the only issues can come if you either actually keep the car long enough and turn it in at lease end, or if you total the car (and had a large down payment).
I've literally never met anyone directly in my life whose been on the 'taking over end' or 'giving away payments end' of a lease. I know/knew it was an option but I don't really know anything about the specifics and hoops jumping that ensues. I really only referenced an extraneous bank loan because it's what I'm doing now to finish off the payments on my car. I wouldn't do this under a lease- I'd just bear the wrath of the financing department of the dealership.
do you really want to own the gti for the next 5-10 years?
5 at least > 7 ideal > 10 can't even think about that. All relative to issues and nagging problems down the line but if it stays semi-okay for 5 years I'd really call it a success for anything past that. I'm a creature by habit and don't really like "change" that much so I don't get lured by new gens/new models too often (but I do at times also).
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
Have never heard one positive remark about the non-lighting package in the 12 months I've been on Vortex in the MK7 section. 99% either fall under two sections (or even both); regretting not getting the OEM package or going with Ed's replicas or the Helix after market ones. I saw a non-LP GTI at night and didn't even know it was a GTI behind me until I saw the rear. The LP lights don't only add what I feel like is the best head lights I ever used in a car but it's a distinguished, characteristic, aesthetic both for the DRL and at night. I like it personally because it doesn't try and copy the Audi trademark look but it still doesn't look cheap or unpolished.
someone once said to buy the car you want to drive and not the one you want to be seen in. I might get flack from fellow dubbers down the line, but I almost never see the front end of the car. The lights light up the road very well and even follow corners on turns. The main lights in combo with with fogs are plenty bright, and the high beams shine a mile ahead. Guess I'm not as vain as I thought.
Well, speaking on the forum "StandardShift" I'm making the assumption you got a manual. You process eliminated Golf R (6 Speed man/DSG), GTI (6 Speed man/DSG), so you're last 3 options on the totem pole are 'Golf TSI' (5 Speed man/6 speed slush), 'Golf TDI' (6 speed man/DSG), or E-Golf (the long shot). I don't know how to blow the picture up but if Tankin said there's a TSI badge then it has to be the 'TSI'... Unless my eyes are bad and this isn't even in the MK7 generation period lol- then I'd be thankful I have optical insurance now.
You missed the posts explaining why I was getting a new car (to ditch the stick). There's only one version of the Golf (divided between 4 trim levels) that gets the TSI badge. This car drives and rides like a luxury car. Have you tried the heated seats?? Any and all back pain gone in 60 seconds. The sunroof is huge too.
a lot of misconception about leasing. you can buy out, trade in, sell, pay off or have someone take over the payments on a lease. it is more versatile than a loan. the only issues can come if you either actually keep the car long enough and turn it in at lease end, or if you total the car (and had a large down payment).
I've literally never met anyone directly in my life whose been on the 'taking over end' or 'giving away payments end' of a lease. I know/knew it was an option but I don't really know anything about the specifics and hoops jumping that ensues. I really only referenced an extraneous bank loan because it's what I'm doing now to finish off the payments on my car. I wouldn't do this under a lease- I'd just bear the wrath of the financing department of the dealership.
do you really want to own the gti for the next 5-10 years?
5 at least > 7 ideal > 10 can't even think about that. All relative to issues and nagging problems down the line but if it stays semi-okay for 5 years I'd really call it a success for anything past that. I'm a creature by habit and don't really like "change" that much so I don't get lured by new gens/new models too often (but I do at times also).
For you leasing would not make sense. Putting more than 1-2k down on a lease is typically considered foolish. Even though I've never met someone who took over a lease or got someone else to take over their lease, it is a real thing and happens all the time. I was worried they wouldn't take my accord on trade since it's a lease, but I read things saying it will be treated just like a financed car, which it was. I think there is a negative stigma about leasing which is for the most part uncalled for.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

someone once said to buy the car you want to drive and not the one you want to be seen in.
But what if I bought the car I want to drive and want to be seen it? :D
The main lights in combo with with fogs are plenty bright, and the high beams shine a mile ahead.
I'm not sure how it works with the TSI but I couldn't stand the 'unfinished' look with the GTI halogens. LED fogs across the board and then yellow halogen lights. It literally bothered me that the tail lights weren't LED either so I ordered a pair of the GTI LED tail lights with the amber directional. I already have the LED license plate lights and LED front directional as well.
You missed the posts explaining why I was getting a new car (to ditch the stick).
Missed it.
Putting more than 1-2k down on a lease is typically considered foolish.
Never really understood this notion but a lot of variables could be at play. For one, for people that refuse to put anything but a security deposit down (typically $500) do you really want to be paying $260+ a month for a Civic LX for 36 months? They get the money either way nothings for free and if it was me (personally) I'd rather do it up front and be done with it then have more then I "think I have".
I think there is a negative stigma about leasing which is for the most part uncalled for.
I highly recommend leasing to the right candidates... I would be still doing it if I was a "right candidate" but I'm no longer. My best friend who had a negative stigma about leasing I literally had to sell the idea to him even though he was essentially the perfect candidate. I think he's glad I did too...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:
someone once said to buy the car you want to drive and not the one you want to be seen in.
But what if I bought the car I want to drive and want to be seen it? :D
The main lights in combo with with fogs are plenty bright, and the high beams shine a mile ahead.
I'm not sure how it works with the TSI but I couldn't stand the 'unfinished' look with the GTI halogens. LED fogs across the board and then yellow halogen lights. It literally bothered me that the tail lights weren't LED either so I ordered a pair of the GTI LED tail lights with the amber directional. I already have the LED license plate lights and LED front directional as well.

But really, from inside the car or from outside the car, nobody but maybe a blue whale or an elephant can tell if you even have the same wheels on the right side as you do on the left side. Do you care what a blue whale thinks of your car? Donald trump has a fat head. Do you care what he thinks of your car? Even the appearance of the interior is superfluous. The driver's views out the windows are what matters most.

Putting more than 1-2k down on a lease is typically considered foolish.
Never really understood this notion but a lot of variables could be at play. For one, for people that refuse to put anything but a security deposit down (typically $500) do you really want to be paying $260+ a month for a Civic LX for 36 months? They get the money either way nothings for free and if it was me (personally) I'd rather do it up front and be done with it then have more then I "think I have".

Go a step further and make a one-payment lease. Hand the dealer that stack of money that wasn't earning diddly in the bank and you'll have no monthly payments.
I think there is a negative stigma about leasing which is for the most part uncalled for.
I highly recommend leasing to the right candidates... I would be still doing it if I was a "right candidate" but I'm no longer. My best friend who had a negative stigma about leasing I literally had to sell the idea to him even though he was essentially the perfect candidate. I think he's glad I did too...
To a great extent, a lease agreement is a purchase agreement with a pre-ordained sell-back and all the "Then you'll buy it back for this much" and "Considering the time-value of money" stuff all agreed upon up front.
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"