Mechanical Watch Thread

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Mechanical Watch Thread

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't think cellphones made watches obsolete or less useful, as some seem to think. It is way more convenient for me to flick my wrist to check the time rather than pull the phone out of my pocket and press the button to see the screen. But I also don't have my phone glued to my face all the time.

I am somewhat OCD about time - I not only hate being late, but I also like to be punctual and precise with frivolous things. For example, I have a given errand to run. My mind automatically estimates the time needed to do whatever parts of the errand including the time when I expect to be done. It's a weird thing where time and schedule gives me structure and a plan. And I like to stick to it. It's like knowing exactly how long my drive to work took this morning. It doesn't matter one bit because I wasn't late, but my brain subconsciously gathers that data and files it away for whatever unknown reason.

I don't obsessively check time but the organized part of me likes to keep close tabs on it, so pulling out my phone to check time is a pain.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:I don't think cellphones made watches obsolete or less useful, as some seem to think. It is way more convenient for me to flick my wrist to check the time rather than pull the phone out of my pocket and press the button to see the screen. But I also don't have my phone glued to my face all the time.

I am somewhat OCD about time - I not only hate being late, but I also like to be punctual and precise with frivolous things. For example, I have a given errand to run. My mind automatically estimates the time needed to do whatever parts of the errand including the time when I expect to be done. It's a weird thing where time and schedule gives me structure and a plan. And I like to stick to it. It's like knowing exactly how long my drive to work took this morning. It doesn't matter one bit because I wasn't late, but my brain subconsciously gathers that data and files it away for whatever unknown reason.

I don't obsessively check time but the organized part of me likes to keep close tabs on it, so pulling out my phone to check time is a pain.
These traits would make you a good fit for working in logistics, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I don't think cellphones made watches obsolete or less useful, as some seem to think. It is way more convenient for me to flick my wrist to check the time rather than pull the phone out of my pocket and press the button to see the screen. But I also don't have my phone glued to my face all the time.

These traits would make you a good fit for working in logistics, right?
Never even drew the parallel until you mentioned it. But I think you are onto something.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sometimes, it's good to sit back and think about who you are. What you like to do is usually something you excell at - you work hard at it without even being aware that you are working hard at it because it feels so right. We need lots of different people with lots of different "Specialties" - diversity isn't just coming from different areas of the globe, it's people coming with different specific strengths so that the team consists of "big picture" people, "can't see the forest for the trees people", artistic people, analytical people, organized people, disorganized (creative?) people - for every yin there is a yang.

Think of what you don't like / don't do well with. Try to excell in these areas and you'll always be watching the clock each day to see "When will it end?"
instead of saying "wow, the time sure went by fast today. I wasn't even aware that I stayed late."
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

I like my $87 Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Keeps time accurately and the solar cells work so well there is absolutely no need to worry about the watch running down. It just keeps on ticking. Forever. :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQS1JW/

Seriously, the engineers state the battery is good for at least 20 years, and likely will last for 40. Impressive stuff.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

kevinf wrote:I like my $87 Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Keeps time accurately and the solar cells work so well there is absolutely no need to worry about the watch running down. It just keeps on ticking. Forever. :mrgreen:

Seriously, the engineers state the battery is good for at least 20 years, and likely will last for 40. Impressive stuff.
This specific watch is highly regarded as one of the best values across the board. When I first was doing research on "reputable" watches this one came up from every angle. I own 3 G-Shocks and 3 Citizen Eco-drives and really have no qualms about either- I highly recommend each line. I actually overlooked Eco-drive at first and went with a Seiko solar powered originally but when it came it refused to hold a charge and I truly believed it was defective/broken. It's how I was brought into Citizen... and the Seiko was actually more money then the Citizen so I was kind of turned off. I never looked back from that point forward.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watch ... AW1146-55H

In regards to cell phones versus watches... I have the S7 Galaxy Edge- it has the always on display that displays the time in HUGE letters. I don't even have to turn on my phone now to display the time and I usually keep my phone on a stand at my desk so it's very easily accessible. In playing devils advocate- everyone whose "against watches" usually utilizes this excuse that the cell phone has limited the need for a watch. I agree and disagree but I definitely see eye to eye with you Tony and plus it's nice sometimes to not have to look like someone who relies on there phone for everything (even though I pretty much do). I think of it like this- I forgot my watch the other way midway in my commute and didn't have the urgency to go back home to obtain it. It definitely felt odd to my wrist/mind but I didn't have the immediate urgency to do anything about it. If I had left my phone home though... I would've been going WOT back home to get that.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I don't see either as a routine substitute for the other.

Even with always-on on my G5, the phone is less accessible than my watch and there are also places phones are not allowed (as well as places watches aren't allowed, but that's another matter).

In most cases, a watch is entirely a matter of convenience. Even if you don't intend to do anything with your phone, you run the risk that someone will try to contact you, be unable, and freak out.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I spend 50+ hours a week at a job where a watch is a liability. Definitely not my thing. I have a few coworkers who spend many monies on watches that they almost never get to wear. Seems strange to me.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

kevinf wrote:I like my $87 Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Keeps time accurately and the solar cells work so well there is absolutely no need to worry about the watch running down. It just keeps on ticking. Forever. :mrgreen:

I have considered this watch in the past. I own 2 solar powered Casios and was equally interested in the Eco Drive. The only thing that stopped me is the size. I like somewhat chunky 42-44mm watches, although I do think that the current trend of really large watches (50mm+) is rather silly, especially when the watch in question is all dial; if it has a nice thick bezel at least it balances out. Otherwise it almost looks like something Flava Flav would wear.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

By the way, anyone else wear their watch to bed? I've been doing it for years and feel weird if I'm not for some reason.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:By the way, anyone else wear their watch to bed? I've been doing it for years and feel weird if I'm not for some reason.
When I turned 12 years of age, Dad asked me if I wanted a watch for my birthday. I said "Yes!". He said "Come by the bedroom at 11:30 tonight"
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

AHTOXA wrote:By the way, anyone else wear their watch to bed? I've been doing it for years and feel weird if I'm not for some reason.
That's pretty much where I draw the line. I typically end up waking up and putting on my watch but it'll never follow me to bed. I usually take it off late into the evening at my personal desk at home and the feeling of relief is pretty nice actually. I don't shower with a watch on either lol... functional jewelry aka the best.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

And I am back in the market :D

Where's Tony at...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:And I am back in the market :D

Where's Tony at...
Sorry to say, but Tony doesn't post here anymore since he went blind.

No, believe it or not, he didn't go blind from excessive masturbation. It was from excessive squinting. Ya see, he was trying to change the final drive gearing in his mechanical watch.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm here! No, still have most of my vision in order.

I was actually going to get Lasik, but I will try contacts first. I've honestly never tried them, and if I end up hating them, I'll get Lasik.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650