Foil-Lined Hats

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10498
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Foil-Lined Hats

Postby Rope-Pusher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:16 am

'Mystery device' helps thieves steal cars with push-button ignitions

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016120 ... -ignitions

So, to prevent vehicle theft, you can keep your key fob in a foil pouch...or you can drive an Amish vehicle!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15961
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Postby theholycow » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:02 pm

How about we just eliminate these stupid, counterproductive, often unsafe technologies?

I'm no retrogrouch. I love lots of new technologies in cars, maybe even most...but these dumbass proximity unlocking pushbutton start fobs are one of the technologies that I really hate.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10498
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Postby Rope-Pusher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:27 pm

theholycow wrote:How about we just eliminate these stupid, counterproductive, often unsafe technologies?

I'm no retrogrouch. I love lots of new technologies in cars, maybe even most...but these dumbass proximity unlocking pushbutton start fobs are one of the technologies that I really hate.

Cow-a-Bunga,
Don't hold it inside yourself. You've got to learn to vent or you're gonna splode like a Tesla battery pack!

I heard several takes on these thefts.

One news crew showed how one theif followed the driver as they walked away from the car and recorded the key-fob signal, then transmitted that signal back to their partner who's smaller unit was held near the car to open the door and enable the ignition switch.

The other article ways that the theif can use a receiver/amplifier to read the signal from keys inside a house and fool the vehicle into thinking the keys were in close proximity to the vehicle.

Either way, it seams tummy that keeping the keys in an aluminum-lined pouch might foil the theives.
Image
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15961
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Postby theholycow » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Maybe, but mere foil may not suffice. At least at home, to protect against the amplifier outside your house thing, you can drop your keys in a faraday cage. I bet a microwave oven would suffice...just don't forget to take your keys out before you nuke your Hungry Man.

Don't worry, if there's not already something you can buy for this then there will be soon, similar to RFID-blocking wallets.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Postby IMBoring25 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:45 pm

I can't believe they'd have implemented this without rolling code so it must be that the fob has to be out of range of the car when the code is grabbed. Then the car doesn't know that code has been used and still considers it valid. Sounds like they need to have the code include a date-and-time checksum and re-sync the clocks every handshake.

So much complexity for so little benefit...

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3703
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Postby tankinbeans » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:49 pm

But the heavy keyrings fluffing the ignition switch is bad, or some such.

*he says as he admits to liking putting his keys on a landyard around his neck and forgetting them, but understanding there is a definite con to the technology. *
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10498
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Postby Rope-Pusher » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:57 am

tankinbeans wrote:But the heavy keyrings fluffing the ignition switch is bad, or some such.

*he says as he admits to liking putting his keys on a landyard around his neck and forgetting them, but understanding there is a definite con to the technology. *

Y knot half it implanted buy a sturgeon fore the ultimate in convenience?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3703
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Postby tankinbeans » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:36 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:But the heavy keyrings fluffing the ignition switch is bad, or some such.

*he says as he admits to liking putting his keys on a landyard around his neck and forgetting them, but understanding there is a definite con to the technology. *

Y knot half it implanted buy a sturgeon fore the ultimate in convenience?

Depends on where. ;)
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests