Foil-Lined Hats

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Foil-Lined Hats

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'Mystery device' helps thieves steal cars with push-button ignitions

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016120 ... -ignitions

So, to prevent vehicle theft, you can keep your key fob in a foil pouch...or you can drive an Amish vehicle!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Foil-Lined Hats

Post by theholycow »

How about we just eliminate these stupid, counterproductive, often unsafe technologies?

I'm no retrogrouch. I love lots of new technologies in cars, maybe even most...but these dumbass proximity unlocking pushbutton start fobs are one of the technologies that I really hate.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:How about we just eliminate these stupid, counterproductive, often unsafe technologies?

I'm no retrogrouch. I love lots of new technologies in cars, maybe even most...but these dumbass proximity unlocking pushbutton start fobs are one of the technologies that I really hate.
Cow-a-Bunga,
Don't hold it inside yourself. You've got to learn to vent or you're gonna splode like a Tesla battery pack!

I heard several takes on these thefts.

One news crew showed how one theif followed the driver as they walked away from the car and recorded the key-fob signal, then transmitted that signal back to their partner who's smaller unit was held near the car to open the door and enable the ignition switch.

The other article ways that the theif can use a receiver/amplifier to read the signal from keys inside a house and fool the vehicle into thinking the keys were in close proximity to the vehicle.

Either way, it seams tummy that keeping the keys in an aluminum-lined pouch might foil the theives.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Maybe, but mere foil may not suffice. At least at home, to protect against the amplifier outside your house thing, you can drop your keys in a faraday cage. I bet a microwave oven would suffice...just don't forget to take your keys out before you nuke your Hungry Man.

Don't worry, if there's not already something you can buy for this then there will be soon, similar to RFID-blocking wallets.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I can't believe they'd have implemented this without rolling code so it must be that the fob has to be out of range of the car when the code is grabbed. Then the car doesn't know that code has been used and still considers it valid. Sounds like they need to have the code include a date-and-time checksum and re-sync the clocks every handshake.

So much complexity for so little benefit...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

But the heavy keyrings fluffing the ignition switch is bad, or some such.

*he says as he admits to liking putting his keys on a landyard around his neck and forgetting them, but understanding there is a definite con to the technology. *
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:But the heavy keyrings fluffing the ignition switch is bad, or some such.

*he says as he admits to liking putting his keys on a landyard around his neck and forgetting them, but understanding there is a definite con to the technology. *
Y knot half it implanted buy a sturgeon fore the ultimate in convenience?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:But the heavy keyrings fluffing the ignition switch is bad, or some such.

Y knot half it implanted buy a sturgeon fore the ultimate in convenience?
Depends on where. ;)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!