RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Cow, you are me in hominhimina years.
:lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
Teamwork wrote:I would take a 100k+ Honda Accord at a "premium" versus a base/middle trim Focus 10 times out of 10. There's a reason why Honda/Toyota doesn't depreciate in value and hold resale values... there is a reason why American cars don't. I've lived it first hand
There are multiple reasons. One is that some folks have had the experience that you had, which directly supports the reputation.

However, I'm not sure that they come out of the factory quite so unequal; that reputation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...
My own experience and direct observations (e.g. family) has been that while there are differences, if I'm gonna drive it until the end of its service life then that reputation doesn't seem to have an effect on results for myself and those close to me. I've seen roughly equal major failures in GMs, Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, and I've seen each live long dependable lives.

As long as the reputations and actual results hold at their current level, it works out great for me; I get to be satisfied paying lower prices for devalued cars with more life left in them and tons of cheap parts in the junkyard, and folks who have not had the same experiences as I have get to go a different route.
I agree. I mean, I see where you're coming from Teamwork. My 2000 Civic really hasn't had all too much done to it other than Brakes. Rotors that are screwed up, and an A/C idler pulley. The rest was routine maintenance.

The one thing I maybe am missing is that I can work on my own cars. My parents have a Taurus with over 250k on the clock. So maybe my idea of American cars are a bit different. I'll have to stop by that dealer and just see how that Focus has aged. But going back to fixing my own cars. I kind of miss/enjoy that feeling. I mean, I fix my friends/relatives cars...but its just not that same. However. I wouldn't want a car that would leave me stranded.

it just amazes me that like a car from 06 is pretty much considered old. I remember when 06 cars were unattainable at the price point I was looking.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I have to remind myself that a Taurus from 1997, the horrible ovoid mess, is greater than 10 years old.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Closer to 20 at this point...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote: The one thing I maybe am missing is that I can work on my own cars. My parents have a Taurus with over 250k on the clock. So maybe my idea of American cars are a bit different. I'll have to stop by that dealer and just see how that Focus has aged. But going back to fixing my own cars. I kind of miss/enjoy that feeling. I mean, I fix my friends/relatives cars...but its just not that same. However. I wouldn't want a car that would leave me stranded.

it just amazes me that like a car from 06 is pretty much considered old. I remember when 06 cars were unattainable at the price point I was looking.
time to look at some mk6 GTIs, mk5 R32s, B7 S4s and mid-2000s volvos and saabs 8) :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I have to remind myself that a Taurus from 1997, the horrible ovoid mess, is greater than 10 years old.
yeah, that thing was old ten years ago...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

bk7794 wrote: I agree. I mean, I see where you're coming from Teamwork. My 2000 Civic really hasn't had all too much done to it other than Brakes. Rotors that are screwed up, and an A/C idler pulley. The rest was routine maintenance.

The one thing I maybe am missing is that I can work on my own cars. My parents have a Taurus with over 250k on the clock. So maybe my idea of American cars are a bit different. I'll have to stop by that dealer and just see how that Focus has aged. But going back to fixing my own cars. I kind of miss/enjoy that feeling. I mean, I fix my friends/relatives cars...but its just not that same. However. I wouldn't want a car that would leave me stranded.

Brings up some good points. Don't want to drift terribly off topic but there seems to be a perception and portrayal that the days of "working on your car" yourself is over. Even on my vehicle they advise against doing a tire rotation or changing any light bulbs. Literally states in the manual "seek assistance at your VW service center". Take it with a grain of salt maybe but who knows maybe special tools are required to remove things outside the ordinary, maybe this is a cash grab effort to trick people into thinking they can't. I did speak to a local mechanic who has a reputable shop for many decades and he advised highly against German branded vehicles stating that this type of sorcery does actually occur. Where your hand is forced to go back to the dealership... Don't want to associate this with all brands of vehicle but food for thought.

I do my own oil changes and would do my own tire rotations but this is a pretty current issue that's pending coming up.
potownrob wrote: time to look at some mk6 GTIs, mk5 R32s, B7 S4s and mid-2000s volvos and saabs 8) :)
Again trying not to drift, but it kind of surprises me that it seems like a lot of recurring issues for this generation of the MK7 are issues that are multiple generations old. Guessing since the manufacturing plant literally had to cross an entire ocean that the issues lie with the actual parts themselves and doesn't matter whose installing them. Also, I guess this means VW doesn't care about correcting their own mistakes out of stubbornness- nice.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

There's always something new coming out just around the corner.

Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

or

KIA’S NEW STINGER STUNS - Autoline Today
Back in early December Kia teased a super secretive announcement ahead of the Detroit auto show. Now we’ve learned that secret is the Stinger, a rear-wheel drive fastback sports sedan. It was one of the biggest shockers of the show. Here’s a company known for offering value-driven vehicles coming out with a true sports car. The stinger rides on an all-new rear-wheel drive platform that can also support all-wheel drive. It can be had with either a 2.0L turbo 4 or a twin-turbo 3.3L V6 that pumps out 365-horsepower. Both are mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. And it will be loaded with all the latest safety and convenience technology. The Stinger is also a very good looking vehicle. We think Peter Schreyer and his team are really knocking it out of the park. Look for the Stinger to hit the market later this year.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It is my opinion that fundamentally, the reliability of new cars sold in North America is close to even between the manufacturers. Yes, there are differences and there are reliability rankings from third party sources, but I feel that "complaints per number sold" isn't always indicative, as there's a large difference between complaints about shitty early-gen Sync infotainment system or transmission failures. It can't always be analyzed holistically.

Then again, some cars have had their share of problems. Modern Subaru's with oil burning issues, Fords and their DCT in Foci, GM with the mysterious bad vibrations in their current-gen Silverados, Hondas with grenading V6 transmissions that they couldn't fix for years, etc., etc. Sometimes you get a bad apple and there's all there is to to. Take my Sonic for example - it was a terrible car reliability-wise. Multiple failed water pumps (3), subframe failures, shock failures, electronic failures, accessory failures and even a brake booster failure - all before 50k miles. Most before 10k miles, actually.

Bottom line is that I buy what I want and many people do the same. I try to balance things I like, want and things that make sense, such as high resale value. That means that no manufacturer is off-limits to me, and I'm not concerned with reliability of any of them in this day and age. I did have a bad Chevy experience and maybe that had some background influence on not buying a Chevy, but I think that if I could have gotten what I wanted in a Silverado (turbocharged motor option being the main thing) without risking dealing with infamous Chevy Shake, I'd gone for another Chevy. In fact, if I were in the market for a diesel 3/4 or 1-ton, I'd be in a Duramax. All this is coming from a guy that wouldn't even piss on a domestic 10 years ago after having a few Chevy and Ford beaters.

The risk of getting a bad apple when buying a new car is small, even after having dealt with one myself, I still don't worry about it much; and I'm pretty OCD about things breaking on my car or 'not being right' no matter how small. Life is too short to worry about domestics vs imports and let that influence your vehicle enjoyment.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've only been in sheißty GM dealers and that largely colours my views of Chevrolet and I'm not old enough for a Cadillac. My Buick is 13 years old and does the job.

You wouldn't catch me paying new car money for a Chevy though.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
Any time you're paying new car money, there ought to be an orgasm in it for you.

Now if that's what 600+ horsepressure does for you, gopher it!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
Any time you're paying new car money, there ought to be an orgasm in it for you.

You mean the dealerships to which you went didn't have the person in the back room? After you finished signing in finance...?

I think you need better dealerships, RP.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:

You mean the dealerships to which you went didn't have the person in the back room? After you finished signing in finance...?

I think you need better dealerships, RP.
Oh, you mean like where they celebrate the sale with pitcher upon pitcher of beer and then take you into the back room and you get laid?

Yeah, that happened to my sister when she bought the Yugo.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Oh, you mean like where they celebrate the sale with pitcher upon pitcher of beer and then take you into the back room and you get laid?

Yeah, that happened to my sister when she bought the Yugo.
Ah yes, the only way they sold any Yugos.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Demon allocation method to fight dealer mark-ups- Automotive News
Dodge said Tuesday that the allocation method for a limited edition of 3,000 Demons in the U.S. and 300 in Canada will give priority to vehicles sold at or below the Demon's $86,090 sticker price, including delivery and gas guzzler tax. Demons sold above sticker will be produced only after the "priority production" is completed
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 76821.html
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017062 ... news-daily