RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3704
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby tankinbeans » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:35 pm

watkins wrote:I love my car. Having a boring car is stupid. Why would you want to spend so much time in something you dont enjoy?

I always laugh when I hear salespeople recommend getting a beater car to somebody leasing a nice vehicle. The rationale being to keep the miles off the nice car. I've had this happen a couple times.

What is the point of leasing a nice car if you're going to drive a pile of junk most of the time?
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby bk7794 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:22 pm

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I feel the ultimate daily is a car you don't care about.

Not quite. If you don't care about it then you won't fix the little stuff that inevitably breaks. Then one day you realize you absolutely hate that uncomfortable unpleasant piece of crap that now additionally has every damn thing broken, and you've been miserable every day for a significant portion of your day -- altogether, a significant portion of your life. Don't spend a chunk of your life miserable because you're worried about damage.

Striking a balance can be ok; a beater that you care about a little, that you like, but that is imperfect and disposable so you won't feel bad...


Of course, I never meant getting a car you don't care about at all. I mean one that you like to work on, but it was cheap enough where you don't care what happened to it. Like a pair of work boots.

I just cannot justify new car payments. I mean things just happen when you're daily driving.

Side note: I also can't see spending 90% of a new cars value on a used car. The other month I was looking at an Accord Coupe. Thing had like 50k miles on it and the car was 23k... I mean thats not a lot of miles, I get it. But still. Should have been priced at around 18k.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7108
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby potownrob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:36 am

bk7794 wrote:The annoying thing about my car is that someone vandalized it...and I Don't really want to sue my own insurance over it. So everyday I've gotta look at it. Every time I bring it to a body shop, they quote me 800 or so bucks to get it done. I remember on CL a long time ago I saw this Camry with the v6 5 speed. It had like 250k miles on it. lol :lol: That would be the ultimate daily crasher. I then would get something, an MG or something similar as a weekend/nice day cruiser.

I feel the ultimate daily is a car you don't care about.

Thoughts?
time to put on your leasing pants.
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15962
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby theholycow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 am

tankinbeans wrote:
watkins wrote:I love my car. Having a boring car is stupid. Why would you want to spend so much time in something you dont enjoy?

I always laugh when I hear salespeople recommend getting a beater car to somebody leasing a nice vehicle. The rationale being to keep the miles off the nice car. I've had this happen a couple times.

What is the point of leasing a nice car if you're going to drive a pile of junk most of the time?

I thought I was the only person on the entire internet who feels that way.

bk7794 wrote:Side note: I also can't see spending 90% of a new cars value on a used car. The other month I was looking at an Accord Coupe. Thing had like 50k miles on it and the car was 23k... I mean thats not a lot of miles, I get it. But still. Should have been priced at around 18k.

Word.

That seems to be the way with Honda, Toyota, etc.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby Squint » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
watkins wrote:I love my car. Having a boring car is stupid. Why would you want to spend so much time in something you dont enjoy?

I always laugh when I hear salespeople recommend getting a beater car to somebody leasing a nice vehicle. The rationale being to keep the miles off the nice car. I've had this happen a couple times.

What is the point of leasing a nice car if you're going to drive a pile of junk most of the time?

Yeah, agreeing with watkins here. I can't keep a car I don't at least like somewhat. Some of the cars I've had have not been exciting by any means, but none of them have made me miserable.

We are probably going to look at automatics for replacing the Mazda 3 when that lease is up. I like the car, and it would be fine for my daily, but my wife just isn't quite in love with it. So we'll probably end up looking at a Prius or something this Fall as she has family that works for Toyota. If I have any control, my daily driver will keep being a manual though. The Fiesta is still a (slow but easy to locate because BRIGHT GREEN) party.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby bk7794 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Here click me is an example of the insanity.

13k for a car that has 100k miles on it. It's almost beater status to most people at that point. It isn't just with Hondas...American cars do it as well.


I hhate when dealers can't put the transmissions into the correct category Click me

Wow, I knowclick me this is a base model and such but 14k. Not bad. These are decent combos from what I hear.

I hate white...but This is more like it! That is where I'd expect a 100k mile to be priced at. Even if it was an Accord...I'd say maybe at most 8 or 9k. Not 14. I know the Accord was serviced at Honda dealers and all that...fine. 10. The saddest thing....someone will pay for it.

These are all Autotrader links btw. If I didn't hyperlink them, the post would look like a mess.

Pretty sad...I spend 6k on a 13 year old car with 80k miles. This is a 5 year old car with 100k miles. What was I thinking.

Devaluation is great
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14569
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby AHTOXA » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:51 pm

bk7794 wrote:Here click me is an example of the insanity.

13k for a car that has 100k miles on it. It's almost beater status to most people at that point. It isn't just with Hondas...American cars do it as well.




12,500 for a 4 year old Accord Sport with 100k miles doesn't seem that outlandish. 1st, it's posted high because the dealer knows the buyer will negotiate. It's a given.

So, after ngotiating, you could probably get a 4 year old decently equipped midsize sedan from Honda for $10,500 out the door. Yeah, it's got 100k, but it's not a terrible deal, given the car retailed for ~24k when new. Definitely wouldn't be beater status to me.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14569
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby AHTOXA » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:55 pm

bk7794 wrote:I hate white...but This is more like it! That is where I'd expect a 100k mile to be priced at. Even if it was an Accord...I'd say maybe at most 8 or 9k. Not 14. I know the Accord was serviced at Honda dealers and all that...fine. 10. The saddest thing....someone will pay for it.

These are all Autotrader links btw. If I didn't hyperlink them, the post would look like a mess.

Pretty sad...I spend 6k on a 13 year old car with 80k miles. This is a 5 year old car with 100k miles. What was I thinking.

Devaluation is great


Are you comparing apples to apples here? Sounds like you're comparing numbers for cars that aren't in the same class and aren't priced equally when new.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7108
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby potownrob » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:15 am

AHTOXA wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Here click me is an example of the insanity.

13k for a car that has 100k miles on it. It's almost beater status to most people at that point. It isn't just with Hondas...American cars do it as well.




12,500 for a 4 year old Accord Sport with 100k miles doesn't seem that outlandish. 1st, it's posted high because the dealer knows the buyer will negotiate. It's a given.

So, after ngotiating, you could probably get a 4 year old decently equipped midsize sedan from Honda for $10,500 out the door. Yeah, it's got 100k, but it's not a terrible deal, given the car retailed for ~24k when new. Definitely wouldn't be beater status to me.
i'd take that "beater" over any non-ST or RS focus. that said, i'd take an Si over the Accord Sport any day...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... ode1=CIVIC

DO. WANT. :shock: 8)
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby bk7794 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 pm

AHTOXA wrote:Are you comparing apples to apples here? Sounds like you're comparing numbers for cars that aren't in the same class and aren't priced equally when new.


Probably not lol. Then again, the Focus was approx 20-22k.

I get they're different...but still.

Also, good luck negotiating that down. I should try to take a look at it though.

[quote="potownrob"i'd take that "beater" over any non-ST or RS focus. that said, i'd take an Si over the Accord Sport any day...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... ode1=CIVIC

DO. WANT. :shock: 8)[/quote]

definitely sharp..that Torque probably is pretty ballsy. Then again...I'm guessing the range isn't that high. I've been driving almost 100 miles a day. Meaning I stop at the gas station almost every 3 days. I wish VW didn't screw up diesels that much.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby Teamwork » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 pm

bk7794 wrote:Here click me is an example of the insanity.

13k for a car that has 100k miles on it. It's almost beater status to most people at that point. It isn't just with Hondas...American cars do it as well.


I hhate when dealers can't put the transmissions into the correct category Click me

Wow, I knowclick me this is a base model and such but 14k. Not bad. These are decent combos from what I hear.

I hate white...but This is more like it! That is where I'd expect a 100k mile to be priced at. Even if it was an Accord...I'd say maybe at most 8 or 9k. Not 14. I know the Accord was serviced at Honda dealers and all that...fine. 10. The saddest thing....someone will pay for it.

These are all Autotrader links btw. If I didn't hyperlink them, the post would look like a mess.

Pretty sad...I spend 6k on a 13 year old car with 80k miles. This is a 5 year old car with 100k miles. What was I thinking.

Devaluation is great

Well, now at this point I can't help but to pour fuel onto a flame. I would take a 100k+ Honda Accord at a "premium" versus a base/middle trim Focus 10 times out of 10. There's a reason why Honda/Toyota doesn't depreciate in value and hold resale values... there is a reason why American cars don't. I've lived it first hand- my first car ever was a '95 Toyota Corolla which I acquired with 1 major/1 minor accident on it at 88k on the odometer. I traded it in for $1,200 to KIA with 180k on the odometer. That car really was pretty solid at that point even- it was still being daily driven to the point where I traded it in with 0 lingering issues. I think the only outside of routine maintenance I had was the radiator was shot somewhere between 140k-150k but that was literally it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that a Honda Accord at just over 100k could probably be good for another 100k...

In my experience with any domestics though... *sad trombone sound effect*. Last two Ford vehicles we owned didn't even have a life past 100k. We got "annual tax reliefs" for them. :lol:

In the defense of Ford though, in modern form.. If I had to buy from one of the big 3 domestics they would most likely be it.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7108
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby potownrob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:00 am

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:i'd take that "beater" over any non-ST or RS focus. that said, i'd take an Si over the Accord Sport any day...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... ode1=CIVIC

DO. WANT. :shock: 8)


definitely sharp..that Torque probably is pretty ballsy. Then again...I'm guessing the range isn't that high. I've been driving almost 100 miles a day. Meaning I stop at the gas station almost every 3 days. I wish VW didn't screw up diesels that much.
have you driven a 9th gen Si?? if not (and even if you have), you owe it to yourself to drive one. 8th gen was nice, but the k24 in the 9th gen is much better for daily driving than the relatively torqueless k20. the Si is much more fun to drive than the accord, handles better, has LSD, better stereo and sounds better. the Si feels more powerful than the accord, and it pulls harder too. it does take premium fuel though. the accord does also have a much bigger gas tank, IIRC, which leads to not having to fill up for weeks at a time. i do miss that a little going from the accord to the golf with its little tank. if i could go back, though, i hopefully would've gone with my heart and chosen the Si over the Accord. :evil: 8)
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15962
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby theholycow » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 am

Teamwork wrote:I would take a 100k+ Honda Accord at a "premium" versus a base/middle trim Focus 10 times out of 10. There's a reason why Honda/Toyota doesn't depreciate in value and hold resale values... there is a reason why American cars don't. I've lived it first hand

There are multiple reasons. One is that some folks have had the experience that you had, which directly supports the reputation.

However, I'm not sure that they come out of the factory quite so unequal; that reputation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...
- "Bah, I don't need that kind of longevity, not gonna spend more on that import."
- "I am a careful, thoughtful individual who takes care of his stuff and I want an appropriate vehicle, so no domestics for me."
- "It's just a POS domestic, it's not gonna last forever, no need to invest so much effort/money in maintenance and care. Just gonna beat the hell out of it and throw it away."
- Allow every little thing to go unrepaired until it's a miserable POS, then complain that it's a miserable POS.
- "Market value is too low on this domestic to bother repairing anymore. Off to the junkyard with it!"
- "Market value is too high on this import to give up on it. BRB buying parts." ...then a year down the road, the failure and repair is forgotten.

My own experience and direct observations (e.g. family) has been that while there are differences, if I'm gonna drive it until the end of its service life then that reputation doesn't seem to have an effect on results for myself and those close to me. I've seen roughly equal major failures in GMs, Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, and I've seen each live long dependable lives.

As long as the reputations and actual results hold at their current level, it works out great for me; I get to be satisfied paying lower prices for devalued cars with more life left in them and tons of cheap parts in the junkyard, and folks who have not had the same experiences as I have get to go a different route.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby Teamwork » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 am

theholycow wrote:
Teamwork wrote:I would take a 100k+ Honda Accord at a "premium" versus a base/middle trim Focus 10 times out of 10. There's a reason why Honda/Toyota doesn't depreciate in value and hold resale values... there is a reason why American cars don't. I've lived it first hand

There are multiple reasons. One is that some folks have had the experience that you had, which directly supports the reputation.

However, I'm not sure that they come out of the factory quite so unequal; that reputation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...
- "Bah, I don't need that kind of longevity, not gonna spend more on that import."
- "I am a careful, thoughtful individual who takes care of his stuff and I want an appropriate vehicle, so no domestics for me."
- "It's just a POS domestic, it's not gonna last forever, no need to invest so much effort/money in maintenance and care. Just gonna beat the hell out of it and throw it away."
- Allow every little thing to go unrepaired until it's a miserable POS, then complain that it's a miserable POS.
- "Market value is too low on this domestic to bother repairing anymore. Off to the junkyard with it!"
- "Market value is too high on this import to give up on it. BRB buying parts." ...then a year down the road, the failure and repair is forgotten.

My own experience and direct observations (e.g. family) has been that while there are differences, if I'm gonna drive it until the end of its service life then that reputation doesn't seem to have an effect on results for myself and those close to me. I've seen roughly equal major failures in GMs, Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, and I've seen each live long dependable lives.

As long as the reputations and actual results hold at their current level, it works out great for me; I get to be satisfied paying lower prices for devalued cars with more life left in them and tons of cheap parts in the junkyard, and folks who have not had the same experiences as I have get to go a different route.

What you state here is basically why I was willing to roll the dice on a German branded car which makes my points in the above posts a little null. The circumstances for me were different though from what BK seems to be looking for/inspiring for though. I knew full on what I was risking and expected this to be the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and may ever own. With all of that being said though, I didn't care about re-sale value (this was pre-dieselgate even) and I thought to myself that I will meticulously care for the vehicle and invest in it so if it can't be reliable then it has to be variable X and not variable Y. Seriously though, I feel like the only thing that is semi out of my control is clutch/transmission issues if they rear it's heads. I don't think I've attributed much more than unusual wear from learning on this vehicle but who knows maybe during the "dark days" I deleted thousands of miles off my clutches life. Everything engine/body/paint related though I've cared for on an above average basis.

While nothing catastrophic has happened in 2 years (should it have?) this has been a humbling experience of how good and spoiling Korean/Japanese vehicles are. When I had my Corolla I didn't really care for it to the level that I did with my newer cars admittedly but it was essentially a turn a key, no worries, no hassel type of deal even so. Because of that experience and albeit it being my first car ever, I'd pretty much take any excuse to get back in a Toyota someday even though there product line makes me dry heave at the current moment.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3704
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: RANT: I have been looking for cars for too long and now I'm sick of all of them.

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am

Cow, you are me in hominhimina years.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests