Let the Chef be the Chief?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

What are your feelings on settable modes?

No settings - Hey Automaker, Why Don't You Hit Me With Your Best Shot?
33%
Three Settings, Eco, Sport and Normal (Default)
33%
Ala Burger King - Have it your way - Everything that could possibly be electronically tunable is waiting for you to screw up!
33%

Total votes: 6

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Let the Chef be the Chief?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

How Many Modes are necessary?

When I eat at a restaurant, especially a "Good One", I trust the food will be prepared properly and I don't even add salt or pepper. (Maybe it helps that I'm not fussy). Should a car have "settings"? If so, how many settings should a car have? Shouldn't I just trust the suspension engineer to release the design that he feels is best? Who am I touche I know better than him?

Talk amongst yourselves.

http://autoweek.com/article/technology/ ... dailydrive
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Re: Let the Chef be the Chief?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, so far 100% agree with me!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

One size does NOT fit all.

Sometimes I want to micromanage everything my car does. Sometimes I don't care. User-configurable modes aren't just for geeks like me who enjoy meddling with the workings, but they certainly are great for us. There are also more normal people who don't want to micromanage but do want different modes for different conditions; soft and gentle for hauling grandma or the kids, medium for the commute, and hardcore for the weekend.

They're also for selling the car to multiple people. Maybe my wife and I are buying a car and she wants it one way while I want it the other. No need for compromise, just like memory power seats/mirrors, press a button and get what you want.

They're also for selling the car to a wider market, and presumably they make it possible to reduce the complexity of option packages/choices. Joe Schmoe likes the Bovine Mooer Sport, while Long Duck Dong likes the Bovine Mooer Luxury; the dealer could stock the same car for both (in a variety of colors) of them if selecting a setting makes the difference, and the manufacturer doesn't need to make multiple versions (and if anyone knows the costs and complications involved I bet you do, RP). If you're shopping for a car and like the Bovine Mooer Sport but wish it had a softer ride, the dealer might have to stock or locate a Bovine Mooer Luxury and have you test drive that -- only to find out you don't like the lighter steering effort. With user-configurable modes and such, one car could be sold to all of those folks.

That same issue applies especially to sports cars and other cars with attention-grabbing looks. Some people want to buy the car for its performance. Some just want to look cool; but if it operates like a hardcore performance machine they won't want to drive it.

My mom buys the sort of car with tons of modes and adjustments an gewgaws. I love that stuff. I wish she'd keep a car long enough that it won't be worth much anymore and she can give it to me instead of trading it in. :lol: (Or, at least, long enough that I could afford it.)

My dad absolutely abhors it. He dreads having to move her car. Also my sister has a relatively recent Grand Cherokee with one of those modern shift-by-wire slushboxen whose selector is more like a joystick than a shifter, you hold or multi-push it or something to go past each range instead of physically pushing it to different positions for P R N D etc...he hates that too. (I hate it but for different reasons, which I've described before.)
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Fickset
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I have mixed feelings on this. In cars, I really could care less for different driving modes. Granted, I don't too much experience with them, but playing with it in some cars - they felt gimmicky.

On motorcycles, however, they are great. Big adventure bikes can come with a lot of power, and it is a good thing to manage modes. Different modes give different level of ABS engagement, as well as stability and power control. If this motorcycle is ridden on dirt roads, snowy or wet roads, then those modes are a great safety addition.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Was it BOSE that worked to integrate their audio entertainment systems into vehicle designs such that they adjusted the system to match the accoustics of the vehicle and then reduced the amount of controls available to the listener? To me, that's like the Chef saying "Trust me, I know what tastes good. Please don't add ketchup to your osso bucco"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

where did all this customization talk come from?? eco, normal and power mode FTW!! :) (which company did eye just steel that from??)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:where did all this customization talk come from?? eco, normal and power mode FTW!! :) (which company did eye just steel that from??)
Autoweek magazine posed the question:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
potownrob wrote:where did all this customization talk come from?? eco, normal and power mode FTW!! :) (which company did eye just steel that from??)
ewe no howe eye feal aboot the media pudding thaws in two are heads, know??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
ewe no howe eye feal aboot the media pudding thaws in two are heads, know??
F eye din beef or nao eye no.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

2018 Toyota C-HR first drive: When does a car become a crossover?
what is this strange crossover?

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z4jWWjriNt

"Eco is like being stuck in deep mud. Comfort is fine for short jaunts in traffic around town. Sport is merely a suggestion of performance."