Artsy-Fartsy

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Artsy-Fartsy

Post by Rope-Pusher »

2019 Volkswagen Arteon first drive: Bargain German GT?

Style could be the Arteon’s ace, though: It’s a gorgeous car in person, long and low with wide rear flanks implying more power than the car actually has. All U.S.-market Arteons will be powered by an EA888 turbocharged inline-four engine with 268 hp, coupled to an eight-speed automatic transmission; VW’s 4Motion all-wheel-drive system is optional on the higher trim levels. As of this writing, there will be no stick shift, no V6, no DSG (for America) and, of course, no TDI diesel model. Given that the U.S. on-sale date is a year away, though, these specs are subject to change.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z4jN19FL7I

Of Course, ya godda read the comments:
This looks practical and attractive. It's frustrating not being able to shop VW because of their ethics and reliability. I long for the day when I can open up CR's reliability page and not see VW at the bottom next to FCA.

Eric KriegContributor10h
Have you seen resale valves for CC's? Why are they so frighteningly low? They're so low that they go from appealing to making you scared to buy one.

I had a CC rental a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. I was checking out used vehicles to get an idea of what the tradeoff would be between buying new and buying used, I truly was shocked at how low the CC's sell for. I really, really enjoyed that vehicle, good performance with great fuel economy.

Eric KriegContributorDan Eagen5h
So what's wrong with them?

Dan EagenLeaderEric Krieg5h
Poor reliability, high maintenance costs. They eat brakes quickly and the replacement are typical German expensive. The kind of car you want to lease, and feel bad for whoever buys it off-lease. If you look at any car mag that does a "true cost to own" VW always has higher repair costs, and maintenance costs. I would never want to own a VW out of warranty. If you can do the work yourself no biggie, but if you have your maintenance done by a dealer or independent mechanic expect costs that are quite a bit higher than your typical Asian vehicle.

Consumer Reports states that in particular, the CC suffers from major (coded in red to indicate severe) issues with the drive system, the engine, the transmission, power equipment, and in-car electronics. The CC (along with the Tiguan) are also the highest related VW's for reliability, good luck to any used GTI buyers.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Artsy-Fartsy

Post by potownrob »

it's essentially a luxury german car. if it wore the audi badge, it'd cost $10-20k more. if you look at it as such, most of the complaints are moot (or blown out of proportion).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.