RANT: Photobucket broke DIY auto repair threads

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

RANT: Photobucket broke DIY auto repair threads

Post by bk7794 »

This happened a while ago but I guess Photobucket updated their policy. Now if you've linked your photos to any forum via Photobucket you get this:

Now a majority of the DIYs are broke.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: RANT: Photobucket broke DIY auto repair threads

Post by theholycow »

I've increasingly hated the bucket for a long time, but that was the straw that broke the camel's back...they've directly attacked a large swath of the internet, tons of technical documentation threads that will never be recovered. They could at least have changed the policy going forward, but grandfathered old images.

If you use a browser that can install Chrome extensions, this one will fix it for now:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nfo-dialog
I recommend immediately saving them, and if it's anything anyone else will ever want to see then save the entire thread/page/whatever then rehost it somewhere and then add THAT to web.archive.org.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Then Photobucket said they want $400 per year if you want to continue with the previously free service. If it was $10 a year they might have a chance of someone paying it, but $400 is a bit steep. I remember when Webshots did the same thing and dumped everyone that would not pay.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I remember when Matthew Bradys said "You've looked at my photographs long enough, so now give 'em all back to me so I can build a greenhouse with the glass plates!"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

bk7794 wrote:This happened a while ago but I guess Photobucket updated their policy. Now if you've linked your photos to any forum via Photobucket you get this:

Now a majority of the DIYs are broke.
This just shows everyone what jerks they have running Photobucket. At least they could have grandfathered existing images. This is kind of like holding people for ransom. Probably was in the fine print when we signed up though.

I have been using https://postimages.org/ which Clutchdisk told me about. No account, so save your image links somewhere for future use. Works pretty good.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul - wouldn't it be simpler and more satisfying if you just paid photobucket the ransom they are hitting you up for? You could raise the money required to do this by taking on a new and interesting part-time job - working as a valet at a restaurant or club. You would get the chance to experience, albeit for a very short time, a plethora of vehicles one, or two, might not normally get the chance to experience AND, as mentioned previously, earn some chump-change. You may even be the resident expert valet on Amish transmission operation - very likely the way things are going with the general public's knowledge of all things Amish. In time, people of the Amish persuasion, while dropping off their vehicle at the entry doorway, might even request for your services by name, saying "I'd like ParkingPaul to handle my vehicle"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:InlinePaul - wouldn't it be simpler and more satisfying if you just paid photobucket the ransom they are hitting you up for? You could raise the money required to do this by taking on a new and interesting part-time job - working as a valet at a restaurant or club. You would get the chance to experience, albeit for a very short time, a plethora of vehicles one, or two, might not normally get the chance to experience AND, as mentioned previously, earn some chump-change. You may even be the resident expert valet on Amish transmission operation - very likely the way things are going with the general public's knowledge of all things Amish. In time, people of the Amish persuasion, while dropping off their vehicle at the entry doorway, might even request for your services by name, saying "I'd like ParkingPaul to handle my vehicle"
I'll do the valet (not the ransom) but only if I am well paid and get to park all manual transmission cars and only manual transmission cars.

Speaking of valet, I worked as a pump jockey at the Total station in Southfield MI (10 Mile and Southfield Road) during high school. Next door was a really fancy restaurant, The Golden Mushroom, that I heard had $50 bottles of wine (a lot of money in 1973/4). Anyways, a valet over there jumped out of a car to do something and walked off with the door left open. I don't know if the car was Amish or he didn't quite get it in park, but there was a slight slope and the car rolled backward a little ways and in the process the driver's door caught a utility pole and the door folded up against the front fender. Of course, we lowly (lowlife :lol: ) pump jockeys got a big laugh out of it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:
Speaking of valet, I worked as a pump jockey at the Total station in Southfield MI (10 Mile and Southfield Road) during high school. Next door was a really fancy restaurant, The Golden Mushroom, that I heard had $50 bottles of wine (a lot of money in 1973/4). Anyways, a valet over there jumped out of a car to do something and walked off with the door left open. I don't know if the car was Amish or he didn't quite get it in park, but there was a slight slope and the car rolled backward a little ways and in the process the driver's door caught a utility pole and the door folded up against the front fender. Of course, we lowly (lowlife :lol: ) pump jockeys got a big laugh out of it.
It's all fun-n-games until someone loses a testical....well, unless it's someone that's been acting like they have three of them, then they deserve what they get.