Does this unicorn exist?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd read somewhere that the Mahindra buggies wouldn't be authorized for use on public roads and would be more similar to those big ATV type things from Polaris. Also, I'd read that Mahindra at one time had a working relationship with Willys, or the manufacturers of protoJeeps (I can't recall quite where).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:I'd read somewhere that the Mahindra buggies wouldn't be authorized for use on public roads and would be more similar to those big ATV type things from Polaris. Also, I'd read that Mahindra at one time had a working relationship with Willys, or the manufacturers of protoJeeps (I can't recall quite where).
Mahindra manufactured the CJ and throw license to do so never expired apparently.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

AHTOXA wrote: I am all over the place though. I have this itch that I'm trying to scratch but can't figure out what I'm doing. If I didn't have a dog and wasn't doing as much outdoor stuff that I do I would seriously just get a 5.0 m mustang and call it a day. But the problem I ran into is I want something fun and practical. Jeeps can be fun, especially with the top off (lots of things are fun with the top off), but also fast cars cab be fun.

I even thought about looking for a used manual SS but they are hard to come by and just aren't practical enough. That and I don't really dig sedans.

So I dunno.
Really hi-jacking this thread haha but I like... I'm not too sure how old you are Tony (forgetful) but it's kind of funny that I'm kind of running the same course but for different reasons/similar reasons. My small loan on the GTI is fully paid off essentially in 12 months from May 2018 and I might "lightly fish" the market. I really like my GTI and I like the sporty nature still but some accumulating factors; A) the reliability track record hasn't been stellar and I don't foresee this improving, B) I will be married by this point- so the next vehicle I get will have a 99% chance of seeing spawn, C) This winter in NY has been pretty brutal. With my car being in and out of the shop for essentially the last 5 weeks and getting different loaner cars I kind of come to a strong realization that the suspension in the GTI is firmer then I remember. It's not harsh by any means but my bones are getting older too...

Between the snow and the crater pot holes on Long Island roads I kind of want something that I don't have to worry about as much if I hit a pot hole... that I'm not making a 4k mistake. Wrangler appeals for the same reasons... if I can't have fun going fast, I want to have something semi unique/fun doing something else. The premium for the JL is a hard bargain though... it's stepping into essentially full size pick up range, and even Grand Cherokee limited pricing. I know you can't compare... but still.

I'm reading alot of the back story and "by the numbers" for Jeep and the Wrangler and whoever came up with the idea for the 4 door unlimited is probably having field day. Last gen - I highly disliked the look though aesthetically of the 4 door but I wouldn't have a choice unless someone could sell me a child seat being practical in a 2 door wrangler lol.

We just got hit with one noreaster a week for the last 4 weeks and this time around it brought 15'' of snow. The GTI has turned into a driveway plow.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
AHTOXA wrote: I am all over the place though. I have this itch that I'm trying to scratch but can't figure out what I'm doing. If I didn't have a dog and wasn't doing as much outdoor stuff that I do I would seriously just get a 5.0 m mustang and call it a day. But the problem I ran into is I want something fun and practical. Jeeps can be fun, especially with the top off (lots of things are fun with the top off), but also fast cars cab be fun.

I even thought about looking for a used manual SS but they are hard to come by and just aren't practical enough. That and I don't really dig sedans.

So I dunno.
Really hi-jacking this thread haha but I like... I'm not too sure how old you are Tony (forgetful) but it's kind of funny that I'm kind of running the same course but for different reasons/similar reasons. My small loan on the GTI is fully paid off essentially in 12 months from May 2018 and I might "lightly fish" the market. I really like my GTI and I like the sporty nature still but some accumulating factors; A) the reliability track record hasn't been stellar and I don't foresee this improving, B) I will be married by this point- so the next vehicle I get will have a 99% chance of seeing spawn, C) This winter in NY has been pretty brutal. With my car being in and out of the shop for essentially the last 5 weeks and getting different loaner cars I kind of come to a strong realization that the suspension in the GTI is firmer then I remember. It's not harsh by any means but my bones are getting older too...

Between the snow and the crater pot holes on Long Island roads I kind of want something that I don't have to worry about as much if I hit a pot hole... that I'm not making a 4k mistake. Wrangler appeals for the same reasons... if I can't have fun going fast, I want to have something semi unique/fun doing something else. The premium for the JL is a hard bargain though... it's stepping into essentially full size pick up range, and even Grand Cherokee limited pricing. I know you can't compare... but still.

I'm reading alot of the back story and "by the numbers" for Jeep and the Wrangler and whoever came up with the idea for the 4 door unlimited is probably having field day. Last gen - I highly disliked the look though aesthetically of the 4 door but I wouldn't have a choice unless someone could sell me a child seat being practical in a 2 door wrangler lol.

We just got hit with one noreaster a week for the last 4 weeks and this time around it brought 15'' of snow. The GTI has turned into a driveway plow.
might as well have bolded and italicized the whole quote but whatever... :roll: :oops: :lol: :D
you have snow tires on the GTI?? :?: :shock: :lol: 8)
eye think tony's in his early to mid 30s, based on what little i can piece together of our 7-10 year old convos, mainly at the big SS meats. i hate to say it, but the climate you're describing (bad weather, potholes, needing a bigger vehicle) calls for (IMO) either a midsize to large size sedan or a compact or midsize SUV (GASP!!). which ones (if any) would be fun is another matter. i keep thinking of the CX-5 since i've heard that one (like most mazda models) is relatively fun to drive. the SUV setup with big wheels, tall suspension, available AWD and good room, along with MPGs getting better year by year, make an SUV or CUV a strong candidate for your vote come trade-in day. only one i can think of that's both AWD and manual is the forester though. i personally am considering the rav4 for my next transportation device; it looks like the next gen rav4 will be hot. the 4runner also might make sense, if you want a real truck frame SUV. it is old (doesn't look it to me though) and doesn't get the best mileage, but i've read a lot of good reviews about it.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Going back to the Jeep, I hear they went with a cable actuated shifter compared to the mechanical on in the JK. Wonder how it/if it would impact shift feel. I'm not all too sure how the 6 speed felt in the JK. Just curious is all.

For OP. I feel an even more Unicorn would be anything with an I6 and a manual that's not BMW. Or a cummins
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I actually like the mechanical old school linkage for the manual tranny. I like to see the shifter move a little when you goose it.

Anyhow - good guess Rob. I'm 34. Joined this place almost 10 years ago, when internet forums were probably at their highest popularity before facebook groups replaced them.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

bk7794 wrote:Going back to the Jeep, I hear they went with a cable actuated shifter compared to the mechanical on in the JK. Wonder how it/if it would impact shift feel. I'm not all too sure how the 6 speed felt in the JK. Just curious is all.

For OP. I feel an even more Unicorn would be anything with an I6 and a manual that's not BMW. Or a cummins
I6 and manual? Easy - Jeep XJ. But yeah, that doesn't exactly fit my original criteria.

I am still exploring the fun options. I do have equity in my truck now, but I'm not exactly rushing to get rid of it just yet. I love the thing quite a bit, I just always get car ADD. It's always been like this.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: I6 and manual? Easy - Jeep XJ. But yeah, that doesn't exactly fit my original criteria.
what about TJ :?: :twisted:
edit: sorry, forget your criteria (and too tired/lazy to search); also forget if we were talking about a car for you or BK...or Teamworm... :? :?: :idea: :oops: 8)
I am still exploring the fun options. I do have equity in my truck now, but I'm not exactly rushing to get rid of it just yet. I love the thing quite a bit, I just always get car ADD. It's always been like this.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:might as well have bolded and italicized the whole quote but whatever... :roll: :oops: :lol: :D
you have snow tires on the GTI?? :?: :shock: :lol: 8)
eye think tony's in his early to mid 30s, based on what little i can piece together of our 7-10 year old convos, mainly at the big SS meats. i hate to say it, but the climate you're describing (bad weather, potholes, needing a bigger vehicle) calls for (IMO) either a midsize to large size sedan or a compact or midsize SUV (GASP!!). which ones (if any) would be fun is another matter. i keep thinking of the CX-5 since i've heard that one (like most mazda models) is relatively fun to drive. the SUV setup with big wheels, tall suspension, available AWD and good room, along with MPGs getting better year by year, make an SUV or CUV a strong candidate for your vote come trade-in day. only one i can think of that's both AWD and manual is the forester though. i personally am considering the rav4 for my next transportation device; it looks like the next gen rav4 will be hot. the 4runner also might make sense, if you want a real truck frame SUV. it is old (doesn't look it to me though) and doesn't get the best mileage, but i've read a lot of good reviews about it.
I'm fairly open to all of the above actually. I usually try and stay as open minded in this field when it comes down to it and actually test drove a lot of compact utes (or cross overs). The one's that stood out to me were the CX5 and Tucson/Sportage twins. I do want to future proof a bit here and in this instance I would probably take abundance of room as opposed to less. Still looking to not totally be lifeless in this segment either even though most entries seem to be. Mid size SUV seems to def have more "sporting" / "off road" capable entries while compact still seems like mall patrol. I'm surprised full size sedans are even still around... I don't really see the differentiating factors between mid size and full size now. Even the full size guys are running dual engine options on the most part where in the past full sizes usually started off with an "upper trim" mid size engine.

At year 4-5 I will probably lightly peruse the market and see what may be possible to get back on my GTI. I've kept the car essentially stock and it has only 32k in 3 years. I still like car but my spine is kind of slowly moving out of the market haha.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: I'm fairly open to all of the above actually. I usually try and stay as open minded in this field when it comes down to it and actually test drove a lot of compact utes (or cross overs). The one's that stood out to me were the CX5 and Tucson/Sportage twins. I do want to future proof a bit here and in this instance I would probably take abundance of room as opposed to less. Still looking to not totally be lifeless in this segment either even though most entries seem to be. Mid size SUV seems to def have more "sporting" / "off road" capable entries while compact still seems like mall patrol.
i can understand the more room and futureproof arguments for getting a midsize SUV vs. compact or CUV (whatever the difference is between the terms), but keep in mind the midsize ones will take a significant MPG hit in around town (city) driving due mainly to having so much weight to carry around. that and they cost more, both new and used. trying to find a used (~2014-15) toyota highlander for under $25k seems to be a futile effort; forget about finding a hybrid highlander for a good price. not sure what the mall patrol reference is about, other than malls (and colleges) tending to use compact SUVs to patrol the parking lots. not sure why that makes them any less desirable.
I'm surprised full size sedans are even still around... I don't really see the differentiating factors between mid size and full size now. Even the full size guys are running dual engine options on the most part where in the past full sizes usually started off with an "upper trim" mid size engine.
there are more measurements involved here than just legroom. the impala, for example, is wider and has a much bigger trunk than the malibu. overall, i see full size sedans like the impala and lacrosse more better suited for livery/uber/lyft service but a family (or hitman) could also take advantage of the extra space. they also look classier to me eyes.
At year 4-5 I will probably lightly peruse the market and see what may be possible to get back on my GTI. I've kept the car essentially stock and it has only 32k in 3 years. I still like car but my spine is kind of slowly moving out of the market haha.
you, sir are being very patient. way more patient than tank, tony or eye, amongst others on here, could ever wish to be. :shock: :oops: :? 8)
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:i can understand the more room and futureproof arguments for getting a midsize SUV vs. compact or CUV (whatever the difference is between the terms), but keep in mind the midsize ones will take a significant MPG hit in around town (city) driving due mainly to having so much weight to carry around. that and they cost more, both new and used. trying to find a used (~2014-15) toyota highlander for under $25k seems to be a futile effort; forget about finding a hybrid highlander for a good price. not sure what the mall patrol reference is about, other than malls (and colleges) tending to use compact SUVs to patrol the parking lots. not sure why that makes them any less desirable.
To be expected I suppose but I still think the juice may be worth the squeeze all around. The abundance of solo riding commuters in midsize/large SUV's during my drive in and out... I would be joining the herd. I would see fuel economy taking a bigger hit on the jump for the simple fact that we're comparing I4 to v6 a lot of the time on the base side at least.
there are more measurements involved here than just legroom. the impala, for example, is wider and has a much bigger trunk than the malibu. overall, i see full size sedans like the impala and lacrosse more better suited for livery/uber/lyft service but a family (or hitman) could also take advantage of the extra space. they also look classier to me eyes.
Can't fact check here but I was fairly certain a lot of mid size sedans trumped trump cubic volume even compared to full size while maintaining the similar passenger volume. I wish auto makers reserved this class to more RWD/AWD entries and something other then the me too mid size segment attributes.
you, sir are being very patient. way more patient than tank, tony or eye, amongst others on here, could ever wish to be. :shock: :oops: :? 8)
"Year 4" comes up in about a year from now. I'm still satisfied with the GTI and stick!!! That is the truth. I'm slowly getting worn over the euro compact dimensions and euro reliability though. I can be patient :)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: Can't fact check here but I was fairly certain a lot of mid size sedans trumped trump cubic volume even compared to full size while maintaining the similar passenger volume. I wish auto makers reserved this class to more RWD/AWD entries and something other then the me too mid size segment attributes.
i'm way too lazy/tired to fact check myself. either way, the existence of large sedans like the avalon and impala (and maxima?) probably help to keep the prices down on the midsize cars within those cars' respective brands. again, too lazy/sleepy to check and not sure i'd find an answer to that question. camry and malibu (and altima?? :lol: ) definitely represent a very good value proposition (why am eye using big words now??). new camry apparently also caused older camry values to tank (in beans??). curious if this will happen with other cars that got better looking replacements recently; i know the cr-v's values weren't really affected... :x
"Year 4" comes up in about a year from now. I'm still satisfied with the GTI and stick!!! That is the truth. I'm slowly getting worn over the euro compact dimensions and euro reliability though. I can be patient :)
i hear you; i recommend sticking to the stick while you enjoy it and can drive it on a daily basis. i sure wish i could still drive one everyday. :cry: :? :oops: :evil:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

The Beans did drive a current Camry, with a V6 no less. Was okay, and I liked the HUD, but overall it didn't offer anything that I couldn't get elsewhere.

It had the same power numbers as the 300, but wasn't quite as teutonic and portly and felt a little lighter on its tootsies.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:The Beans did drive a current Camry, with a V6 no less. Was okay, and I liked the HUD, but overall it didn't offer anything that I couldn't get elsewhere.

It had the same power numbers as the 300, but wasn't quite as teutonic and portly and felt a little lighter on its tootsies.
eye test drove one of the 4 cylinder models of the new camry back to back with two 2017 4 banger camries. The 2017s drove and rode better; the 2018 felt a little more powerful with its direct injection and new 8 speed tranny, but it felt cheaper overall. Looks wise the new camry looks better than most tthings out there though.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I looked into a Camaro SS 1LE(the track pack essentially). Man, those things are sweet.

There's a guy that regularly rides the local MTB trailhead and he's got a hitch rack setup on his amazing Z/28 Camaro - the new one. My god, I get a hard on when he starts that cammed beast.

But, I basically can't take even one dog anywhere in that car, let alone go camping. Nor would I want to go camping in something like that. I'd be freaking out at the sight of gravel and thoughts of chipped paint.

I might throw a tune on the truck to see if this satisfies the funsies itch for a little while. Not that this thing is slow as it is....
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650