Jeep Make Rousey Housepet

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Jeep Make Rousey Housepet

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I felt honor-bound to warn you guise not to buy a Jeep. Something went wrong with my Jeep last week and I had to repair it. It seems that the clutch failed.....the clutch on the AC Compressor. It was making this noise that sounded loud inside the car, but wasn't much to hear from outside. The noise came and went, always there at start-up and sometimes it came and went again while waiting at a traffic signal during my commute.

Anyway, I was tending to ignore it until I smelled something sweetish and saw some puffs of smoke from underhood - the serpentine accessory drive belt was smoking. I opened the hood and donated the contents of my water bottle to the caws and it was like dumping a bottle of water onto something that was very hot....just like that.

I also noticed that the pulley wasn't aligned so well with the belt anymore.....and the black plastic sleeve on some wiring near the compressor was baked to a crackly crunch.

Eye through a compressor and a knew belt on it and owl is write with the whirled again.

Still, I am very disappointed with my purchase and I have half a mined to drive it back to the stealership and ask for my money back.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Jeep Make Rousey Housepet

Post by potownrob »

eye fought the rule wuss too knot bye an knee jeep butt uh wangler, end bye it bee four their awl gawn :idea: :? :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So now my lousy 10 year old muffler started to split at the right-side seam.
I replaced it on Saturday with a DynoMax Cat-Back

It is probably just as loud as the splitting muffler, but it's a better kinda loud now.

...and of course, it feels faster, with better throttle response.

That could just be the placebo effect of the snazzier sound , but my foot likes it and if it's OK by my foot, then it's OK with me.

Sure, I was thinking that the original muffler was going to last forever, but then again I remember when mufflers rusted out in 3 years, spark plugs and distributor rotors lasted 6 months and bodies had rust perforations within 5 years.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ain't nuttin' better end better soundin' then them their strait pipes, ya herd?? take a big bad battle ax to them pipes end muff'lers end replace 'em whiff pipes. best thing ewe will of ever done. 8) :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:So now my lousy 10 year old muffler started to split at the right-side seam.
I replaced it on Saturday with a DynoMax Cat-Back

It is probably just as loud as the splitting muffler, but it's a better kinda loud now.

...and of course, it feels faster, with better throttle response.

That could just be the placebo effect of the snazzier sound , but my foot likes it and if it's OK by my foot, then it's OK with me.

Sure, I was thinking that the original muffler was going to last forever, but then again I remember when mufflers rusted out in 3 years, spark plugs and distributor rotors lasted 6 months and bodies had rust perforations within 5 years.

I might have left the old one if it would continue to do that to the neighborhood cats! I really like Dynomax mufflers. Been buying only Dynomax for the past 10 years.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Is dynomax the brand to get for cheap muffler replacement on a beater?? I might be asking for future knowledge :shock: 8)
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Im not a fan of mufflers, myself.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Im not a fan of mufflers, myself.
In Meech-i-gan, we call 'em "Scarves"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:Is dynomax the brand to get for cheap muffler replacement on a beater?? I might be asking for future knowledge :shock: 8)
Mine is made of Stainless Steel, in case I spill a beverage on it by accident. Good fur at least another 10 years, right?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:ain't nuttin' better end better soundin' then them their strait pipes, ya herd?? take a big bad battle ax to them pipes end muff'lers end replace 'em whiff pipes. best thing ewe will of ever done. 8) :twisted:
Eye din axe fur ewer opium.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:Is dynomax the brand to get for cheap muffler replacement on a beater?? I might be asking for future knowledge :shock: 8)
For beater you should get the $30 house brand muffler. Basic Dynomax Super Turbo will run you around $50-$60 (not the stainless version) and last 3+ years. Dynomax Super Turbo makes any manual car sound better. Don't put loud mufflers on automatics as it will only expose your weakness (slushbox) to others.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:
For beater you should get the $30 house brand muffler. Basic Dynomax Super Turbo will run you around $50-$60 (not the stainless version) and last 3+ years. Dynomax Super Turbo makes any manual car sound better. Don't put loud mufflers on automatics as it will only expose your weakness (slushbox) to others.
ok thanks. eye passed inspection last week, so i'm okay for now (until next june or if i get pulled over). it does sound like there's a leak somewhere, and i might've seen a hole at the end of the muffler (can only see if looking at from a certain angle; muffler down low etc.). i brought it to a monro muffler shop of all places. the only thing they found wrong was the tires were bad. they said they were warped, a foreign concept to me. i thought the brake rotors were warped based on the sounds and feelings i was getting, but replacing the tires with cheap kelly all seasons got rid of the vibration and harshness (but magnifies other driveline imperfections...). the shop said the car was in very good shape for the miles (over 200k), and the brakes and suspension were in good shape...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
ok thanks. eye passed inspection last week, so i'm okay for now (until next june or if i get pulled over). it does sound like there's a leak somewhere, and i might've seen a hole at the end of the muffler (can only see if looking at from a certain angle; muffler down low etc.). i brought it to a monro muffler shop of all places. the only thing they found wrong was the tires were bad. they said they were warped, a foreign concept to me. i thought the brake rotors were warped based on the sounds and feelings i was getting, but replacing the tires with cheap kelly all seasons got rid of the vibration and harshness (but magnifies other driveline imperfections...). the shop said the car was in very good shape for the miles (over 200k), and the brakes and suspension were in good shape...
We haven't had inspections in the Detroit area other than smog inspections that the then governor ended about 25 years ago. Yeah, i guess a warped tire could cause issues. My wife's Mazda 5 van is vibrating the steering wheel on hard braking. Have to take it in to shop. Best way to see exhaust problems is on a hoist. I thought there used to be rent-a-hoist places in the past but maybe liability insurance costs drove them out of business.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:
potownrob wrote:
InlinePaul wrote: For beater you should get the $30 house brand muffler. Basic Dynomax Super Turbo will run you around $50-$60 (not the stainless version) and last 3+ years. Dynomax Super Turbo makes any manual car sound better. Don't put loud mufflers on automatics as it will only expose your weakness (slushbox) to others.
We haven't had inspections in the Detroit area other than smog inspections that the then governor ended about 25 years ago. Yeah, i guess a warped tire could cause issues. My wife's Mazda 5 van is vibrating the steering wheel on hard braking. Have to take it in to shop. Best way to see exhaust problems is on a hoist. I thought there used to be rent-a-hoist places in the past but maybe liability insurance costs drove them out of business.
know inspections in graeter detroyt air rea?!?!?!! Foreign concept to us in our carb enforcer police state. Two year inspections are one thing. It’s not Japan strict or anything Nearly that bad, but people fight to pass the safety and emissions inspections every year hear. Eye was especially nervous since eye bought the car out of state. Once we pass inspections, it’s no worries for another year. The little beast (golf) also passed inspection this past week at monro, but with no work needed. I had replaced the wipers already which could’ve failed otherwise.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:know inspections in graeter detroyt air rea?!?!?!! Foreign concept to us in our carb enforcer police state. Two year inspections are one thing. It’s not Japan strict or anything Nearly that bad, but people fight to pass the safety and emissions inspections every year hear. Eye was especially nervous since eye bought the car out of state. Once we pass inspections, it’s no worries for another year. The little beast (golf) also passed inspection this past week at monro, but with no work needed. I had replaced the wipers already which could’ve failed otherwise.
That California? The everything-gives-you-cancer state.
Stick shiftin since '77