Love for Driving

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Love for Driving

Post by Warner »

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I love driving more than the average person. When I'm in a bad mood for some reason or another, I like to get in my car, blast the music, and just drive. It relaxes me, calms me down, and actually cheers me up. I look forward to driving to and from school. Whenever there's somewhere a friend wants to go, I'm always the one who wants to drive. I know there must be some people on here who love driving as much as me; show yourself!
dslick2025
Senior Standardshifter

Post by dslick2025 »

was like that...until my mom kept bugging me to go get her groceries early mornin'!
Trev
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Jetta 00'

Post by Trev »

I only love driving when I am clam and at peace. I like driving by the way that I feel. If I'm hyper, I'm going to drive faster and harder. If I'm in a trippy mood I'll just cruize along, taking in the scene.

It's not like when I want to drive fast that I will though when there is traffic. I dislike it when people are right on your bumper and it is just you and them. I mean come on, just slow down a bit. No one is going to die because that 30 seconds that you saved (well unless your wife is dieing or something and you need to get there but then again you might just kill yourself driving too fast).

Just chill, you know.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

im sure many people in this forum can relate with you, Trev. Many of us just loves driving and thats why alot of us stayed after we got advice to learn stick :)
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

If gas wasn't so much, I'd drive for no reason. Driving is my alone time, my time to clear my head and concentrate on one thing: the road. And to know that you can go anywhere you want is absolutely incredible. When I was on I-10 going to Tallahassee, I was tempted to stick the road and take it to LA. California, here I come!
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

I am the same way, blast some music and let me go......... I love driving now that i learned manual! :D
Seolaeria
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Seolaeria »

For real! I love taking occasional joyrides around the place, and listening to great music can make the drive absolutely breathtaking.

And I've given up driving on the interstates - it's just too boring. Whenever I take a larger trip, I will grab Google Maps and plan my route using the back roads - preferably the curvy ones! That way I get to shift more :D And they have the added benefit of usually being the more scenic routes as well.

My friends always roll their eyes at me when I say that driving on the interstate at 70 mph is more boring than driving on a curvy/hilly country road at 45. That is, until they hear the delicious sound of the engine purring during a perfect downshift with rev-match so we can cruise around a corner.

It's an acquired taste. Too bad there are some people out there who will never experience the true joy of driving.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Johnf514 wrote:If gas wasn't so much, I'd drive for no reason.
I always get that from people. "Why do you drive to go nowhere? You're wasting money on gas."

How am I wasting money? Honestly, gas isn't that much, first of all. Secondly, is entertainment and relaxation not worth something?
Seolaeria
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Seolaeria »

Exactly! It's just like spending money to see a movie. For that matter, it seems many people are easily willing to spend a few *hundred* dollars just to see a sports game or feed a gambling machine.

To each his/her own
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Warner wrote: I always get that from people. "Why do you drive to go nowhere? You're wasting money on gas."
How am I wasting money? Honestly, gas isn't that much, first of all. Secondly, is entertainment and relaxation not worth something?
I see your point. It is more of a matter of opinion rather than fact. While you and I both see driving as enjoyable, I see it first and foremost as an objective. My biggest pet peeve is driving somewhere and not doing what I was supposed to do, then having to drive back.

And honestly, gas is comparatively that much. When I was 16, I spent $20 every three weeks to fill up a 20-gallon tank on a minivan. I'm now doing $30 every two weeks on a Taurus that gets much better MPG. Over the past 4-5 years, gas prices have risen over 100%, which is an enormous inflation. What if the price of CDs rose to $30? That'd be 100% over $15.

Entertainment and relaxation is worth something, however, spending $10 for a lengthy drive as opposed to relaxing in a park or pool is not my cup of tea. Like I said before, I'd much rather drive with a purpose (i.e., every weekend I drive 1.5 hours to see my girlfriend; I'm relaxing on the way there (for a purpose) and when I get there as well) than drive aimlessly.

With all of that said, that's just my humble opinion. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Johnf514 wrote:
Warner wrote: I always get that from people. "Why do you drive to go nowhere? You're wasting money on gas."
I see your point. It is more of a matter of opinion rather than fact. While you and I both see driving as enjoyable, I see it first and foremost as an objective. My biggest pet peeve is driving somewhere and not doing what I was supposed to do, then having to drive back.

And honestly, gas is comparatively that much. When I was 16, I spent $20 every three weeks to fill up a 20-gallon tank on a minivan. I'm now doing $30 every two weeks on a Taurus that gets much better MPG. Over the past 4-5 years, gas prices have risen over 100%, which is an enormous inflation. What if the price of CDs rose to $30? That'd be 100% over $15.

Entertainment and relaxation is worth something, however, spending $10 for a lengthy drive as opposed to relaxing in a park or pool is not my cup of tea. Like I said before, I'd much rather drive with a purpose (i.e., every weekend I drive 1.5 hours to see my girlfriend; I'm relaxing on the way there (for a purpose) and when I get there as well) than drive aimlessly.

With all of that said, that's just my humble opinion. :wink:
Edit: Just wanted to add that I will never spend money to go to a sporting event (I'm not a big sports fan anyway, its just drama for men), and my girlfriend and I only go to the movies because she works there and its free. The best things in life are free, folks. It isn't just a cliche.
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
CaliforniaZX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by CaliforniaZX »

I totally LOVE driving! Maybe because I had my license under a year and im still a teen. I especially love taking down my T-tops and driving down Beach blvd. blasting the music. You the new MX-5 miata's slogan "horse and driver" thing? Thats what I think of when I drive... Im sitting on my horse, Z, and just cruising. despite that my car now gets about 13 MPG because theres something wrong with the 02 sensors... I dont mind spending the money on it!

8)
Long Live.

Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

why don't you just get that fixed? It would cost a lot less in teh long run
wychwood
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wychwood »

I believe stick shift drivers tend to be more car enthusiasts, therefore the fact they love to drive is a natural progression of that. I think that's especially true today as manual transmission cars are becoming harder and harder to find. Subsequently, anybody who buys a manual transmission car buys it because they are car enthusiasts who appreciate the driving experience a stick shift brings.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Yo, CaliZ. If you don't wanna get that fixed, cross your fingers and hope that the extra gas you're wasting doesn't get cooked and form carbon in the cylinder head. Once it does that, you have to pull the head apart and scrape out that carbon. Or the engine will knock like crazy and punch holes in pistons.