Starting in 3rd instead of 1st

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
s4rge
Senior Standardshifter

Starting in 3rd instead of 1st

Post by s4rge »

I was @ the light and i tryed to take off and it jerked than stalled. At first i thought i got lazy with the gas padel, but than i started up again and tryed to take off and this time i got it going but still kind of shakey and slow. I came to reliazed i was startign in 3rd instead of 1st, so i quickly clutched into 1st and took off while rolling in 3rd. No differnces in my shiftign or clutch afterwards.. it was just freaky lol. I been driving stick for a good while now and thats my 1st error in many months.. Woo, @ 1st i was thinking WTF is wrong with my car lol.
1995 Black Mustang GT Vert- Current Mustang
1997 Red Mustang GT Vert- Gone but not forgotten. Red Car in avatar
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

A buddy of mine started his F-150 in 5th once. Said he didn't even realize it until he tried to shift to 2nd (which was his reverse).

It happens. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
littleredcar
Senior Standardshifter

Post by littleredcar »

:) Ive done that a few times, i try not to anymore... Started in an f-150 and didnt even notice huh? Im lucky if i go anywhere starting in second.
Nothin runs like a deere.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

cousin of mine started my civic in 3rd with 4 people in the car lol. Surprisingly, he didn't stall even though he was completely new to stick at the time.
streetbreed19
Junior Standardshifter

Post by streetbreed19 »

done that a few times. It's because of my linkage that it happens more often then it should
skabbo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by skabbo »

Sypher wrote:cousin of mine started my civic in 3rd with 4 people in the car lol. Surprisingly, he didn't stall even though he was completely new to stick at the time.
Seriously surprising. 4cyl's with a good clutch seem impossible to get going even in second without stalling. I accidentally started my Saab in second at a light, and after 2 stalls (and not realizing the problem yet), I was giving it enough gas to get up a wall and it was still stalling :oops:
This is when I was more of a standard-novice, of course :)
'96 Saab 900 SE Turbo 5-speed
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

skabbo wrote:
Sypher wrote:cousin of mine started my civic in 3rd with 4 people in the car lol. Surprisingly, he didn't stall even though he was completely new to stick at the time.
Seriously surprising. 4cyl's with a good clutch seem impossible to get going even in second without stalling. I accidentally started my Saab in second at a light, and after 2 stalls (and not realizing the problem yet), I was giving it enough gas to get up a wall and it was still stalling :oops:
This is when I was more of a standard-novice, of course :)
Yea, I found it quite surprising as well.. considering, he only driven a manual once before, and never in my car until he wanted to practice in it.

Starting in second is not hard. As long as you give enough gas and release teh clutch slow enough, 2nd is not hard. I did that before and the car lugged like hell... Don't wanna do that again...
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

littleredcar wrote::) Ive done that a few times, i try not to anymore... Started in an f-150 and didnt even notice huh? Im lucky if i go anywhere starting in second.
He was a pretty oblivious buddy. This forum would have had him lost in seconds. :lol:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar