Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by Squint »

IMBoring25 wrote:That's a tricky one but, in most states, provided there are enough witnesses to corroborate A's story, I would expect the majority of fault to be allocated to B (but maybe not 100%).
Yeah, I would bet split fault depending on the witnesses and what they actually saw.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It's all B's fault if A had plowed into him.

B has not been deputized by the state's department of motor vehicle traffic enforcement to "Teach A a lesson"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:It's all B's fault if A had plowed into him.

B has not been deputized by the state's department of motor vehicle traffic enforcement to "Teach A a lesson"
Yes, though what about the fact that A pulled out in front of B without a normal amount of space? Cutting off someone doesn't make it that person's fault automatically. Otherwise, insurance payouts everywhere for just jumping lanes in front of people to cause accidents.

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

In the recent weeks while on the motorcycle:

Pulled over next to a car of teen girls. They are playing music and giggling - pretty much what teen girls do. As the light turns green I ride off thinking that I better not be anywhere near this car at the next light. Sure enough at the next light they lightly rear end a stopped car. My spidey sense was tingling well in advance.

Coming out of my apartment complex. Daylight. Doing about 30 on a local road as I watch a car pull up to the street from the nearby apartment complex. Spidey sense tingling again. I slow down. The car pulls out in front of me and stops in the middle of the road. I just gesture my annoyance (not with the bird). Car has 3 teen girls.

I always stay away from teenagers driving, but even more so since then. I just stay away from everyone and ride like they all want to kill me and I am thoroughly invisible.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I drove to the local high school to pick my duaghter up when she got out at the end of the school day.

I pulled into the lone empty spot in the aisleway closest to the door. Both sides of the isle are parked full of cars, all parked nose-in.

A girl comes walking out to th car parked next to me, opens the door, sits down, throws her purse on the front passengers seat, puts the key in the ignition, starts the engine, shifts into reverse and backs out of the parking spot all in about 5 seconds time. I watched her - she didn't check to see if the kid in the car parked behind her was also backing up, she didn't check to see if any cars were driving down the aisleway, she just backed up, cutting the steering wheel to one side as she cleared the cars parked on either side of her, then stopped, shifted to Drive, straightened the steering and drove off.

It must be nice when the world revolves around you alone and nobody else exists!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote: I just stay away from everyone and ride like they all want to kill me and I am thoroughly invisible.
This is you though, isn't it?

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:Yes, though what about the fact that A pulled out in front of B without a normal amount of space? Cutting off someone doesn't make it that person's fault automatically. Otherwise, insurance payouts everywhere for just jumping lanes in front of people to cause accidents.
Cutting off someone doesn't, but purposely aggressively causing a crash does. B zoomed around A and locked all 4 tires as soon as the cut-off was complete in a purposeful attempt to cause a problem as an act of revenge after the fact.

A previously annoyed B and might have been at fault if B had T-boned or sideswiped A, but that potential crash didn't happen and the situation was over. The discourtesy previously perpetrated by A did not cause or contribute to the crash and there was nothing that A could have done to avoid that crash (which I'm glad didn't happen -- perhaps A has properly setup trailer brakes and was paying attention and merely made a mistake or bad judgment pulling out).

Dashcam FTW.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
Squint wrote:Yes, though what about the fact that A pulled out in front of B without a normal amount of space? Cutting off someone doesn't make it that person's fault automatically. Otherwise, insurance payouts everywhere for just jumping lanes in front of people to cause accidents.
Cutting off someone doesn't, but purposely aggressively causing a crash does. B zoomed around A and locked all 4 tires as soon as the cut-off was complete in a purposeful attempt to cause a problem as an act of revenge after the fact.

A previously annoyed B and might have been at fault if B had T-boned or sideswiped A, but that potential crash didn't happen and the situation was over. The discourtesy previously perpetrated by A did not cause or contribute to the crash and there was nothing that A could have done to avoid that crash (which I'm glad didn't happen -- perhaps A has properly setup trailer brakes and was paying attention and merely made a mistake or bad judgment pulling out).

Dashcam FTW.
Valid points. I guess they should be considered completely separate incidences since nothing technically happened when A cut off B.

For Pony!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Yes, but if the rager's insurance company thought they could get away with it they'd try to cite due care and attention and, especially if no witnesses stopped, they'd probably at least partially get away with it.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I have a pet peeve that I discovered today. I guess I knew I had it a little, but it never occurred to me how much it annoyed me.

Sitting in a line of traffic on a busy road. Creeping along, stop and go. I come to the point where if I pulled forward, I would block an intersection. So I wait where I am supposed to wait, and wave a person coming the opposite direction (who needs to turn through my path and end up going to my right) in front of me. When I did that, not one but TWO cars from that road on the right pulled into the intersection in front of me to go the same direction as me. I didn't wave them through and now they are blocking the intersection almost as badly as if I had pulled forward into it. WTF people. Letting someone come across you is not the same as letting people pull out in front when you are leaving an intersection clear for a reason.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote: Image
I have a pet peeve that I discovered today. I guess I knew I had it a little, but it never occurred to me how much it annoyed me.

Sitting in a line of traffic on a busy road. Creeping along, stop and go. I come to the point where if I pulled forward, I would block an intersection. So I wait where I am supposed to wait, and wave a person coming the opposite direction (who needs to turn through my path and end up going to my right) in front of me. When I did that, not one but TWO cars from that road on the right pulled into the intersection in front of me to go the same direction as me. I didn't wave them through and now they are blocking the intersection almost as badly as if I had pulled forward into it. WTF people. Letting someone come across you is not the same as letting people pull out in front when you are leaving an intersection clear for a reason.

No good deed goes unpunished. Stop being nice and people won't be able to take advantage of you.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I have another one from my commute home Friday.

Driving down a 2-lane neighborhood road (but busy!) that's under construction. Approaching an intersection that normally has left and right turn lanes for each direction, but because of construction, those lanes don't exist (traffic is shifted too). There are 2 posted regular "No left turn" signs PLUS one of those light up construction signs that says "NO LEFT TURN AT [road name] INTERSECTION" as you approach it from each direction. What happens? I get behind a person that decides to stop in the middle of the intersection and turn left. :evil: :evil: *facepalm*

The worst part? They have a license plate from in town and those signs have been up since May. Police issued 114 tickets in the first week of June after they put the "No Left Turn" signs up, people ignored them, other people complained about the hold up in traffic, and so police warned they were going to enforce the signs with an officer present for a period of time.

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Two lanes in each direction, separated by a wide curbed median. The northbound lanes are closed and under construction, so the two southbound lanes are splitting duties giving one lane each for southbound and northbound traffic. The white dots (see: Bott's dots) have been replaced with yellow ones to clearly indicate two directions of travel.

At least a few times a week I try to make a right hand turn onto this road and find some doofus sitting facing south in what is now northbound traffic. The other day I just drove around on the packed dirt and he probably through I was the idiot going to wrong way.

The same exact intersection has a sign that says "stop here on red" prominently displayed; the sign is set back about 30 feet from the intersection. This is to allow semi trailer traffic to have maneuvering room in order to make the tight right turn, as they need to swing out into the lane. And yet, 8/10 times at least one driver totally disregards this and stops all the way up front at the intersection. Of course, this is in an industrial park where I work, so semi traffic is high. I've seen semis having to bully through their turn and force the driver to back up. Otherwise, they might sit there for more than 1 light cycle as multiple idiots in a row would do the same thing.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:I have a pet peeve that I discovered today. I guess I knew I had it a little, but it never occurred to me how much it annoyed me.

Truthfully, I have done the same things as those other people, depending on scenario. If this is during heavy traffic hours and very near an intersection, then chances are high that those drivers trying to pull out to make the right would be blocked by the idiots coming from your direction when those said idiots are stopped at the light.

This happens to me all the time when I leave Chipotle. I sit and wait until I can pull out. The intersection just to my right has the red light and cars will just stack up, block me so I can't exit and when green light turns on, they don't bother to let me out again. So, once could end up sitting there for a light cycle or two, depending on traffic or whether someone like you is nice enough to let them out.

Bottom line is, they interpreted as you letting them out, because others would do no such thing.

Case in point from about a month ago. I'm sitting at the named Chipotle waiting to pull out to go right. A car stops right in front of me with the middle of their care straight down the middle of my car. But what got me really mad, was the fact that this car had almost TWO car lenghts in front of it to pull up. Darn right I honked, because that was just an ignorant a-hole move.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

AHTOXA wrote: The same exact intersection has a sign that says "stop here on red" prominently displayed; the sign is set back about 30 feet from the intersection. This is to allow semi trailer traffic to have maneuvering room in order to make the tight right turn, as they need to swing out into the lane. And yet, 8/10 times at least one driver totally disregards this and stops all the way up front at the intersection. Of course, this is in an industrial park where I work, so semi traffic is high. I've seen semis having to bully through their turn and force the driver to back up. Otherwise, they might sit there for more than 1 light cycle as multiple idiots in a row would do the same thing.
This happens to the bus quite often. slowly inching their way, honking if the driver is fiddling with their phone (not alert at a light!), etc....
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff