Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by theholycow »

That is fun sometimes, but usually I want them to be unsure that I even know they're there (and maybe encourage a pass). In this modern age of road rage, tipping your hand and trolling like that could result in getting shot with a crossbow.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

and eye felt a little bad for flashing two slow drivers on the way to lunch sunday. :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

theholycow wrote:I don't get it. Can someone explain this to me? Why are some people so strongly bound by fear of overtaking (at illegal speeds in legal passing zones, or in non-passing zones) but happy to practice extreme tailgating, extreme speeding, extreme offensive brake-checking, and induce road rage in unpredictable strangers?
I don't really get this on major highways either but I try and avoid passing on the right at most costs (can't say all) if I'm in the left most lane. It's like they want to impose their will or some sort of ego stroke to make it feel like they made you move over as opposed to the vice versa.
^ When a guy is trying to push me down the highway with his vehicle's front bumper is when I decide to become obsessive about washing my windows....just when he gets the last drops off his window and shuts off his wipers, I hit the washer button again.
...lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum.
It's the most fun you can have for the mere price of a jug of washer fluid.
They actually have a mod for other gen's of the golf that make it so the rear windshield washer fluid shoots straight backwards from the rear glass. I don't think they have it for this generation but MK5 and MK6 they definitely do.
My friend, on the other hand, is terrifying and will do the flashing, honking, one finger saluting, unsafe speed, pass-blocking maneuvering over any slight, real or imagined. Other traffic is usually at the mercy of physics snd reaction time if he feels he's been wronged. He's one of these "above average" drivers who need to teach others a lesson. His driving legitimately scares me, especially because I'm never sure what will set him off (certainly not the things that set me off. My goat is usually gotten when I'm stuck behind a slow merger or somebody who wanders over during a lane change and doesn't pick up the pace; usually I've left enough space in the latter situation to avoid a conflict and adjust my speed accordingly. ).
This is the type of behavior I never really understood. Again, left most lane on a highway... it's usually an economy box and nothing too seriously "fast" coming up hard behind everyone and then basically is inches away from my bumper and is flashing brights in a seizure inducing like motion like the ocean is going to split as he does this. It's a tango line of basically 65 mph in the left lane... Any seasoned driver is going to know you're behind us, very close, and very angry- no need for the flashing of the brights.

Leads me to making a short and cohesive list of things that push the wrong buttons for me on the road.
- Driving the speed limit (or underneath it in the left lane) / and then refusing to move over > I literally live in a state where they most minimum speed limits and advertise them more frequently then "maximum speed limits" (I guess?)
- Merging onto a highway at an unsafe slow speed > grandma in her lesabre thinks its okay to cut over between the speeds of 35-40mph in a speed limit of 65 (average probably being closer to 10 mph over this).
- People who slam the accelerator to get to what is an obvious red light and will be red light even if you didn't use the accelerator at all > poor car.
- People who don't lane change with a directional > They literally made it so you only have to tap it now in like 90% of cars...

That's basically it for me. In NY you become pretty much de-sensitized to bad driving because you'll literally get killed on the roads here. These things though are still cringeworthy though to me. People don't usually have to do illegal passes because nearly everyone drives like 10-20 mph over the speed limit anyway except on the highway when fear sets in.
-
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:They actually have a mod for other gen's of the golf that make it so the rear windshield washer fluid shoots straight backwards from the rear glass. I don't think they have it for this generation but MK5 and MK6 they definitely do.
Yup, I did that on mine. It was ultra-easy. Remove wiper arm, then grab the nozzle and pull it straight out; it's just a friction fit. Optionally, drill a hole in the wiper arm for it shoot through and reinstall, else leave wiper arm uninstalled.
My friend, on the other hand, is terrifying and will do the flashing, honking, one finger saluting, unsafe speed, pass-blocking maneuvering over any slight, real or imagined. Other traffic is usually at the mercy of physics snd reaction time if he feels he's been wronged. He's one of these "above average" drivers who need to teach others a lesson. His driving legitimately scares me, especially because I'm never sure what will set him off (certainly not the things that set me off. My goat is usually gotten when I'm stuck behind a slow merger or somebody who wanders over during a lane change and doesn't pick up the pace; usually I've left enough space in the latter situation to avoid a conflict and adjust my speed accordingly. ).
BTW I missed this post. My post "That is fun sometimes" did not apply to THAT post!
It's a tango line of basically 65 mph in the left lane...
...and what if you DO slow down to right-lane speed and cram yourself into a dangerously small space in the right lane per his wishes? Then he's still stuck in the same tango line.

If I'm in that much of a hurry then some kind of really serious business is going on, like someone's life depends on me getting there 60 seconds sooner, and I don't give a rat's ass about waiting for people to move over; screw it, I'll drive in the breakdown lane, on the grassy median, over curbs, through yards and bushes, or even bash other cars out of the way.

If it's not important enough to do that then it's not important enough to drive like an ass-hat, so my hurry can wait until I see an opening whose illegality/fine doesn't exceed the risk I'm already willing to take by speeding...being a dick nugget to other drivers isn't going to get me there faster anyway.
I literally live in a state where they most minimum speed limits and advertise them more frequently then "maximum speed limits" (I guess?)
Here on large/interstate freeways we tend to have the minimum posted on the same sign as the limit. Minimum is unenforced on the very rare occasion that someone manages to drop below it, though usually those occasions have worse offenses because it's someone who is drunk or a diabetic having a low blood sugar attack or an elderly person who is driving the wrong direction.
- Merging onto a highway at an unsafe slow speed > grandma in her lesabre thinks its okay to cut over between the speeds of 35-40mph in a speed limit of 65 (average probably being closer to 10 mph over this).
Entering at low speed really grinds my gears too. For me it's more of a problem when I'm stuck behind them. I don't often see them cut across lanes, but they get on doing 30mph and then after they see all the cars whizzing past they stomp their otherwise-unnecessary horsies into action while my few lazy cows leave me about to get creamed by an 80,000lb gasoline tanker.
- People who don't lane change with a directional > They literally made it so you only have to tap it now in like 90% of cars...
For directional offenses, it rarely bugs me much if they forget it for a lane change, but when I'm waiting to enter a road and their directional would be the difference between me going or remaining stopped...
People don't usually have to do illegal passes because nearly everyone drives like 10-20 mph over the speed limit anyway except on the highway when fear sets in.
That level of speeding is pretty normal here too, which makes it difficult for folks like myself who are good at math and patience.

Seriously, the last speeding ticket I got that stuck (in 2006) was written as 5mph over IIRC. The fine was something like $250, and my insurance rate got jacked by $250/yr for 3 years. That's $1000...for what? I'd rather spend it on something useful, yummy, or fun...or, y'know, something like my mortgage. That's how it works in RI but everybody still does 10-20 over everywhere, especially on the highway.

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Entering at low speed really grinds my gears too. For me it's more of a problem when I'm stuck behind them. I don't often see them cut across lanes, but they get on doing 30mph and then after they see all the cars whizzing past they stomp their otherwise-unnecessary horsies into action while my few lazy cows leave me about to get creamed by an 80,000lb gasoline tanker.
Segways me to an interesting point that probably makes me look like a db but if I know they are going to merge painfully slow and maintain a slow speed, I'll pass and merge in front of them if the entrance ramp is long enough. I know that sounds probably wreck less on an outsiders perspective but I'm literally doing it so they can be responsible for their own death and not mine as well.

There's a delicate line for the left lane non sense since my stance seems to be flip flopped but I think it's kind of common sense. If there is a tango line of consecutive cars and you're tail gating behind a group and actually expect flashing your brights is going to get multiple people to move over- realistic expectations. If you're the sole car in the left lane and the road for the next 1/4 mile is clear and you're holding people up... then really no sympathy. The county actually said they were cracking down on left lane squatters... it's spiraled pretty much out of control and doesn't make any sense. A lot of major free ways here are 4 lanes wide + 1 hov or at the very least 3...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Image
I don't see the point in funny business.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

8)

Wow, has it been a while!
Glad to see people are still here.

I'm finding it interesting to look back upon one's posts of nearly a decade ago and realize how much has changed. It's a bit like a diary, I suppose... a diary the entire world could potentially read. I wish I could tear some of those pages out. :lol: Pages of adolescent 'bragging' or ignorance or damnations... funny how what is 'important' to us changes so drastically over time.

One thing I am thankful for is the kind-hearted "core" of Standardshift - both members and general vibe of the platform - it was always a pretty good place with what seemed to be very good folks for the most part. Hope everyone is very well!

Woops, just realized I was in the wrong 'misc' thread.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

padauk_dust wrote:
We charge for that now. Tends to keep people alert against doing that again.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It didn't take long......
Teens drive hours to steal Hellcats, then wreck them immediately
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/wait-theres ... z4PWiSRxLr
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I just HATE when a mattress flies off of a truck and hits me while I'm motorcycling through a tunnel.
HATE IT!

Yanno, I see a lot of unsecured loads out there...where's a cop when you need one?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Yanno, I see a lot of unsecured loads out there...where's a cop when you need one?
They don't care about safety.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stori

Post by ClutchFork »

AHTOXA wrote:I hate the creeping drivers when they creep out into the sidewalk, forcing me to walk around them. It's not a big deal to walk around them, it's the fact that they are blocking the damn ped crossing that makes me mad. I do understand those turning right - they need to get out farther to see traffic on their left. It's those going straight that don't have an excuse.

I've noticed I've been more irate about idiot drivers as of the last few months. I need to relax on that, as it's not helping anyone.
Creeping out at intersections is something all of us do at times (you have to sometimes if you want to see what is coming), but automatics are inherently creepy. Something wrong about driving a vehicle that will just go if you don't hold down the brake pedal.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

This texting and driving PSA gives us the chills

YOU CAN'T TEXT AND WALK, WHY TEXT AND DRIVE?

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/wait-theres ... z4sfXGVloj
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

padauk_dust wrote:8)

Wow, has it been a while!
Glad to see people are still here.

I'm finding it interesting to look back upon one's posts of nearly a decade ago and realize how much has changed. It's a bit like a diary, I suppose... a diary the entire world could potentially read. I wish I could tear some of those pages out. :lol: Pages of adolescent 'bragging' or ignorance or damnations... funny how what is 'important' to us changes so drastically over time.

One thing I am thankful for is the kind-hearted "core" of Standardshift - both members and general vibe of the platform - it was always a pretty good place with what seemed to be very good folks for the most part. Hope everyone is very well!

welcome back to the fold (for now). i hope you made it home safe after your bike crash. someday we WILL have an SS Meat for ALL SSers (and SS traitors alike :twisted: ).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Yes, maybe an SS Meat nearish the upper Midwest so Tankinbeans can try to make it. :mrgreen:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!