Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stori

Post by theholycow »

No, I mean there are cars and trucks on the highway in adjacent lanes doing 70mph and a motorcyclist/suicide jockey squeezes between them on the dotted line.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:No, I mean there are cars and trucks on the highway in adjacent lanes doing 70mph and a motorcyclist/suicide jockey squeezes between them on the dotted line.
That is just a death wish.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:No, I mean there are two muggers walking thru the subway train until they come upon an armed Charles Bronson.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:No, I mean there are cars and trucks on the highway in adjacent lanes doing 70mph and a motorcyclist/suicide jockey squeezes between them on the dotted line.
The way I see cars making lane changes, a biker doesn't stand a chance at any speed. And if they split lanes in slower or backed up rush hour traffic there is a good chance someone will open their door to spit, right as the bike comes through and the biker catches the door edge. There are probably some Russian dash camera you tubes of these sort of things--assuming they split lanes there.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:And if they split lanes in slower or backed up rush hour traffic there is a good chance someone will open their door to spit, right as the bike comes through and the biker catches the door edge.
people do that out there?? :|
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

So I'm at a stop light last week and a motorcyclists stops behind me.

He's in his 20's, on a crotch rocket, wearing sandals, shorts and a tank top - no helmet. But wait, it gets better! He's wearing huge over-the-ear headphones while riding.

Yeah, you don't need situational awareness on a motorcycle and you absolutely don't need any gear. Dumb squid.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:So I'm at a stop light last week and a motorcyclists stops behind me.

He's in his 20's, on a crotch rocket, wearing sandals, shorts and a tank top - no helmet. But wait, it gets better! He's wearing huge over-the-ear headphones while riding.

Yeah, you don't need situational awareness on a motorcycle and you absolutely don't need any gear. Dumb squid.
Only vaguely driving related: I think similar things about people who run near major roads and have headphones/earbuds in the whole time. No, it's cool, you can ignore all the loud noises around you. I've always felt that running was about getting outside and getting exercise. That meant paying attention to the outside, too, just not your music.

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Was moron in bike wearing flip-flops? This ate even worse than regular sandals which theoretically stay on your skanky feet better.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Sometimes I run with headphones on, and the right music really helps to push on and perform better - it's weird even to me.

But yes, I keep my head on a swivel around any and all intersections when I'm running with earbuds. What's worse, I encounter people doing this on busy bike trails and they don't hear me (biker) call out and announce myself when I come up behind them. Then they get all jumpy when I hate to yell from right behind them and get annoyed that I "snuck up on them." :roll:
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:But yes, I keep my head on a swivel around any and all intersections when I'm running with earbuds. What's worse, I encounter people doing this on busy bike trails and they don't hear me (biker) call out and announce myself when I come up behind them. Then they get all jumpy when I hate to yell from right behind them and get annoyed that I "snuck up on them." :roll:
This one happens on campus more often than I would like. I only have to ride on the sidewalk for a copule of hundred feet (rest of the way is streets or bike paths on streets) yet I almost always get stuck behind people so I cruise along at 2 mph doing the awkward bike sine-wave to keep balance until I can pass them.

For Pony!
MisterTwo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MisterTwo »

So this morning I'm waiting to turn left at the lights, they turn to amber, there's oncoming traffic and I can tell there's no way this one oncoming vehicle is going to stop. Fine, I'll wait, but then the moron behind me starts laying on the horn.

Oncoming guy runs the red, I win!
'05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 5MT
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT
'66 Chrysler New Yorker 3AT
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

MisterTwo wrote:So this morning I'm waiting to turn left at the lights, they turn to amber, there's oncoming traffic and I can tell there's no way this one oncoming vehicle is going to stop. Fine, I'll wait, but then the moron behind me starts laying on the horn.

Oncoming guy runs the red, I win!
I hate when people lay on the horn when it's obvious that if you went you would be smashed. Just because the light may say you can go, doesn't mean you can.. :roll:
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I toot the gotten if the person had been sitting messing with their phone for more than about 5 seconds because I'd like to get going. I've made people jump before, which it's always fun. I also roll passed these inconsiderate forks and blast my horn on the roadway. I've almost had one go headlong into a tree, which I would've paid to see.

EDIT: phone use in the case means texting, usually texting and weaving. Talkers are usually pretty good at controlling their 3,000 pound projectile.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:I toot the gotten if the person had been sitting messing with their phone for more than about 5 seconds because I'd like to get going. I've made people jump before, which it's always fun. I also roll passed these inconsiderate forks and blast my horn on the roadway. I've almost had one go headlong into a tree, which I would've paid to see.

EDIT: phone use in the case means texting, usually texting and weaving. Talkers are usually pretty good at controlling their 3,000 pound projectile.
5 seconds is way too long. I'll usually honk after 2 or 3 seconds. There is one light here, where the turning green arrow is very short, and only 4 cars can get through - 5 at most. This is in a turning lane that can accommodate 7-9 vehicles. So, there's usually a backup at this light turning left due to the inadequately short green left arrow time. This hurts during lunchtime and during morning and evening rush. If I waited 5 seconds before I honked, no one except the culprit would get through that light.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650