Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stori

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Elderly woman went the wrong way this morning, she was oncoming where the yellow car is in this image:

Physics problem: How does a motorcycle on the highway knock over this sign, get caught up in it, and not take the sign for a ride? I saw the sign down on the ground with a motorcycle tangled up in it, location was almost exactly where the sign was planted...bike and sign didn't slide along the grass for 30 meters, like the bike just fell out of an airplane or something.

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:Elderly woman went the wrong way this morning, she was oncoming where the yellow car is in this image:

Physics problem: How does a motorcycle on the highway knock over this sign, get caught up in it, and not take the sign for a ride? I saw the sign down on the ground with a motorcycle tangled up in it, location was almost exactly where the sign was planted...bike and sign didn't slide along the grass for 30 meters, like the bike just fell out of an airplane or something.

Where's zenfiz6 when you need him? Doesn't he teach physics or something?

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Today I was on the interstate and there was uncharacteristically heavy traffic. Usually it's sparse, I can see maybe 5-10 vehicles and most are in the right lane with me. Today it was somewhat dense, but everybody was cooperating and interacting well and we were all driving along smoothly. In front of me there is an average late model Camry in the right lane and an SUV in the left. The Camry has at least a 4 second distance to the vehicle in front. The SUV is about halfway up that distance.

I see the SUV's right turn signal come on, and immediately a blast of steam/smoke from the Camry's exhaust. WTF? Apparently the Camry driver didn't want the SUV in the right lane and thought he could accelerate to close the gap. Image

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Ah, the old "it's my empty space so you can't have it" driving style. Not to say that I've never done similar cut offs of annoying (to me) drivers, but I've sincerely tried to cut back on that style of driving. It helps no one. Now, I mostly just shake my head and try to avoid the idiots - hopefully whenever their driving style comes back to haunt them, it'll only be themselves that they hurt.

For Pony!
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Coming back home from getting teh flu vaccine tonight after dark, I'm on a two lane highway. Dead flat, surrounded by swamp land and shitty buildings mostly. I'm hugging the center line (I was on the bike, btw) like I usually do in low traffic. I see a turn signal click on in the opposing lane, and before I can blink the little needle dicked f*cktrumpet behind him has decided he's not waiting and passes him, right into the area I'm about to occupy. So I dove over to the shoulder and spent the next mile cussing him and his family three generations back, as did the guy behind me I'm sure. With the turner, the passer, me and the guy behind me, that could've easily turned into four dead bodies all because some stupid f*ck couldn't wait five seconds.

You know I love y'all to pieces, but I'm really starting to hate cage exclusive motorists.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

comingbackdown wrote:Coming back home from getting teh flu vaccine tonight after dark, I'm on a two lane highway. Dead flat, surrounded by swamp land and shitty buildings mostly. I'm hugging the center line (I was on the bike, btw) like I usually do in low traffic. I see a turn signal click on in the opposing lane, and before I can blink the little needle dicked f*cktrumpet behind him has decided he's not waiting and passes him, right into the area I'm about to occupy. So I dove over to the shoulder and spent the next mile cussing him and his family three generations back, as did the guy behind me I'm sure. With the turner, the passer, me and the guy behind me, that could've easily turned into four dead bodies all because some stupid f*ck couldn't wait five seconds.

You know I love y'all to pieces, but I'm really starting to hate cage exclusive motorists.
That idiocy isn't restricted to us 4-wheeled vehicles. I've seen motorcyles, dually trucks, and even bicycles do the same thing. It's just ridiculously stupid. I saw a similar situation a few weeks ago where a guy in a Challenger did that to get around a car in a shared turn lane that was turning before him. He wanted to get into that turn lane early and zoom up past everyone who was driving at 30 mph with traffic.

For Pony!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

I ride the bus now so I get lots of time to watch traffic waiting for the bus to come.

Why do people think that driving/steering an accelerating 1-2 ton metal bullet (mini van) through an intersection in the dark while not looking, and instead looking at a bright device in your hand is a good idea? You'll confuse your eyes when you look up to see outside.

there's been too many close calls where i've been almost hit while walking a cross a cross walk by stopped /stopping people. stop creeping, as well. i like that cross walk there!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

wannabe wrote:Why do people think that driving/steering an accelerating 1-2 ton metal bullet (mini van) through an intersection in the dark while not looking, and instead looking at a bright device in your hand is a good idea? You'll confuse your eyes when you look up to see outside.
In that same situation I was driving a dumptruck and had to avoid the minivan. I successfully avoided a major crash with the minivan and lightly tapped the bumper of an aging Hyundai that was waiting at a stop sign. The cop assumed it was my fault because I was the youngest one there and yelled at me a bunch, but I guess after talking to the Hyundai driver she decided not to cite me and no points were put on my license for it. Insurance totaled the Hyundai.

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I hate the creeping drivers when they creep out into the sidewalk, forcing me to walk around them. It's not a big deal to walk around them, it's the fact that they are blocking the damn ped crossing that makes me mad. I do understand those turning right - they need to get out farther to see traffic on their left. It's those going straight that don't have an excuse.

I've noticed I've been more irate about idiot drivers as of the last few months. I need to relax on that, as it's not helping anyone.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Youre just turning into a crotchety old man.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:I hate the creeping drivers when they creep out into the sidewalk, forcing me to walk around them. It's not a big deal to walk around them, it's the fact that they are blocking the damn ped crossing that makes me mad. I do understand those turning right - they need to get out farther to see traffic on their left. It's those going straight that don't have an excuse.
I tend to stare at those people the entire time I'm walking toward their vehicle. Direct eye contact, with a slightly sad, slightly wtf are you doing expression on my face. Very few people will hold the stare for more than a split second.

For Pony!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Squint wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I hate the creeping drivers when they creep out into the sidewalk, forcing me to walk around them. It's not a big deal to walk around them, it's the fact that they are blocking the damn ped crossing that makes me mad. I do understand those turning right - they need to get out farther to see traffic on their left. It's those going straight that don't have an excuse.
I tend to stare at those people the entire time I'm walking toward their vehicle. Direct eye contact, with a slightly sad, slightly wtf are you doing expression on my face. Very few people will hold the stare for more than a split second.
I stare at them while walking towards them to see if they're looking to look for me.

I like it when they stop RIGHT where i'm in the way of their a-pillar and they don't try to look around it.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:
I'll usually make eye contact with them to make sure they see me there, and once they do, I'll walk very close to the hood of their car, to make a point. Almost brushing it kind of close.

Drivers around my area aren't used to pedestrians at all; they aren't used to watching for them. Not all streets around me even have sidewalks, and no one really walks anywhere, expect a few morning runners and on occasional dog walker. Most runners to go the nearby gym and most dog owners here don't walk with their dogs much.

If a car is at the intersection waiting to make a right, they will stare only left before proceeding. They won't look right to see if any peds have entered the cross-walk. It's always a sketchy case and I'll simply wait for the car to turn or walk behind it, depending on scenario.

My neighbors sometimes will see me walking around the area, and they will inevitably ask how much I walk a day with Jack. When I tell them I walk about 3 miles in the afternoon and about 1.5 in the morning, they are always impressed.

Dallas suburbia is far worse that Chicago or New York or other suburbia - no one walks here. No one.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Youre just turning into a crotchety old man.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"