BEER THREAD!

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: BEER THREAD!

Post by AHTOXA »

Picked up another micro tonight, this time this is from the Chicago burbs.

Two Brothers brewery, beer called The Bitter End. Pale Ale.

Not bad. I think that I should have cooled it a bit more but didn't have the time as my buddy showed up. It's got a very balanced, happy body. It's not overdoing it in any respect. Aroma is hard to judge as I didn't use a glass, but the finish is good. It's bitter, hoppy finish is balanced out with a tang of sweetness of fruity flavor, but just enough. I like the fact that it's only a trace of sweetness and fruit - good balance there. I wish there was a bit more body to it, but I can't say that it's bad. I think this beer is above average in my book. This is another good, hoppy Pale Ale. I like it. I would rate it a 7.5/10.

'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

LHOswald wrote:ive heard of people saving a shit ton of bottles and cans and driving all the way to michigan to return them so they get more than what they payed for them. obviously only in the states surrounding michigan
i don't know if its possible...my family bought pop in florida, mixed the cans up w/ th emichigan ones, and the florida ones got spit out of the machine...they know by the UPC code where it was bought...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

wannabe wrote:
LHOswald wrote:ive heard of people saving a shit ton of bottles and cans and driving all the way to michigan to return them so they get more than what they payed for them. obviously only in the states surrounding michigan
i don't know if its possible...my family bought pop in florida, mixed the cans up w/ th emichigan ones, and the florida ones got spit out of the machine...they know by the UPC code where it was bought...
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

:lol:
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Today's beer is Bell's Pale Ale.

It's a much milder Pale Ale than some out there and the hops are well-defined but not strong enough for my liking. As I've mentioned before I've been highly fond of hoppy beers as of the recent year or so. It's not bad and easily drinkable. Sometimes you can't drink too many really hoppy beers. I think this is a 5/10.

'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Currently drinking a Smithwicks. Wife bought a 6 pack on St Patrick's Day because she likes to do that sort of thing, but she didn't like it because it's beer. It's all I've been drinking lately because I don't have anything I like better and I can't just let it sit around getting stale.

I do not like ale but this is relatively tolerable. Its ale flavor/aftertaste is not as pronounced as others.

Not my photo:
(hotlink fixed)
Last edited by theholycow on Sun May 09, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

No image.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

I'm getting tired of hearing about booze everywhere and doing no drinking... I'm gonna have to fix that shit soon.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:No image.
Fixed.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

A few more beers that I've drank in the last few weeks. These are photos taken by me.

First up is Dogfish Head World Wide Stout:

This is an extremely barley-heavy beer. It's not really a summer beer but that fact does not detract from the beer itself. The aroma is very heady but somewhat bitter-sweet. The minute it hits your tongue you tell tell the heaviness of barley. It's a strong beer and you can cut the body of this beer with a knife. It finishes strong with a somewhat biting aftertaste. It's likely due to oak barrel aging, which also affects the beer giving it a mellow woody taste.

I would rate it 8.5/10 but this is not a beer for everyone by far. It's quite strong and very, very rich. It is also NOT cheap. One bottle cost me $10.99.

Next guy here is from Stone Brewery called Levitation Ale.

I picked it up really because I thought the bottle looked kinda cool. Otherwise, I wasn't too impressed. It's an ale, thus it has a bit of earthy flavor, a decent amount of hops, however the body is lacking. There's just not enough there to make me appreciate it fully. It's not a bad ale, however does not stand out at all. The finish is crisp, which is what I like and it sticks around, but the body needs to be stronger. I would recommend this for those that want to try a more hoppy beer without diving into Hop Stoopid or the Bitter End right away. Overall 5.5/10.

The third one is my favorite out of the three. This is a brewery from my own county of DuPage and I really admire the beer these guys put out. I've tried a number of their brews and they are all great in their respects. This is Resistance IPA by Two Brothers brewery.

Aroma is earthy and mellow. The start is great, the body is full and makes itself known and the finish is crisp and lingering. Yet this beer is not heavy and you can drink a few without feeling full (unlike the World Wide Stout mentioned as the first beer of this post). This is a good, solid IPA done right. It is very well-balanced as well from start to finish. As mentioned, Two Brothers Brewing Co is a great brewery literally in my back yard. I have only recently discovered these guys and wish I have done so earlier. In case of this beer, I give it a 8/10.
Last edited by AHTOXA on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I love me some Hop Stoopid. I don't know if you saw my post in the Misc Thread, but we've got a bar here which seems to have a pretty good selection. I've got another place as well which I wanna hit up sometime. Any thoughts on any of the beers? I'm not really beer savvy, but I know bad beer when I drink it.
http://getrucked.com/ruckBeer.php
http://www.wolffsbiergarten.com/DraftBier.pdf
The latter link should be viewed via PC, but most of us here already know that. The first bar is about 10 minutes from my house, driving time. Probably smarter to just walk.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Tried a new one last night. Sam Adam's Winter Lager. Not too bad for being Sam Adam's. Review to follow another day.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

comingbackdown wrote:Tried a new one last night. Sam Adam's Winter Lager. Not too bad for being Sam Adam's. Review to follow another day.
The only Sam Adams we get up here is the Boston Lager and it's $13 for a 6-pack.

I've an $8 bottle of Ola Dubh 16 sitting in my fridge right now. It's a dark ale aged in whiskey casks. I'm going to drink it sometime soon. I'll put up a review when I do.

Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

i havent drank in awhile and went to 3 parties in the last 4 days and i can safely say beer before liquor never been sicker holds true. natty ice (i know, i know) and dubra does horrible things to your stomach and unforgiveable (and unwashable) things to your toilet bowl