Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

Because blue cars are the best.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:Because blue cars are the best.
Anything but white, silver, or black.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:
watkins wrote:Because blue cars are the best.
Anything but white, silver, or black.
White looks great on some cars. Example - candy white GTI mk5 and up.

There is also grey. My car is grey and it blends right away.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Cars either look amazing in white or look awful.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: There is also grey. My car is grey and it blends right away.
thank god mine doesn't 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:Cars either look amazing in white or look awful.
I guess looking at the same three colors gets old. I know they're the "classic" colors and net the best resale, but they're boring. Black is sharp, but is a bear to keep clean. White is easier to keep clean, but blends in with everything. Silver is trying too hard to look elegant. On a given day I can't tell one car from the next on the motorway because they're the same three colors only varying in hue, but when I see a real color I take notice right away.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Saw white impala tonight. Looked gooooood, especially from the side. White fusion looks goooood too. Also saw purple malibu and it looked good but more from the back and front than the sides. I like pizza.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint, my brother and sister in law are possibly going to look at a new Fiesta 5mt. She's worried because she hasn't driven a manual in years. Is yours pretty forgiving?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:Squint, my brother and sister in law are possibly going to look at a new Fiesta 5mt. She's worried because she hasn't driven a manual in years. Is yours pretty forgiving?
Yeah, it's not bad at all. Seems sturdy enough without needing to be super precise. I've had no issues at all in the 42k-ish miles that I've put on it.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:Saw white impala tonight. Looked gooooood, especially from the side. White fusion looks goooood too. Also saw purple malibu and it looked good but more from the back and front than the sides. I like pizza.

White Impala just screams 'rental car' to me. Frankly, just about any white 4-door sedan does. Same goes for a white compact pickup truck - fleet truck. But, I loved the white on my Xterra.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
MisterTwo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MisterTwo »

Is there something about the new(er) HVLP (sp?) painting processes which make black, silver, and white easier to paint? Or, is that actually what the market demands? I had a black car one, never again (scratches too visible). White does look good on some but not all. Grey/silver is just so ubiquitous these days (my DD is silver - bought used, little choice; my wife's is also silver, bought new from the lot but the choice was those 3 or 'aquamarine' aka algae).

Just for kicks today I was scanning the freeway on the way to work. Let's just say that it would be easy to eliminate gridlock by removing all white, grey, and silver SUV's and minivans! Take away the coupes and sedans in those colors and the road would have been practically empty save for the few wagons (aka me), the red Matrix, the blue Imprezza, and all the 18-wheelers!
'05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 5MT
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT
'66 Chrysler New Yorker 3AT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's the market. Don't forget that most people drive appliances. Appliances are usually in inoffensive, boring colors that won't offend potential buyers at resale time. Lack of interior color selections is influenced similarly. Resale value is very important to some people.

I personally would consider silver. It's very practical. It has advantages with the issue of whether or not it shows dirt. It has the whole sheep thing that I like; it's like camouflage, it doesn't draw attention.

Tan/brown was the previous color in that position. I'm horrifically tired of it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:
White Impala just screams 'rental car' to me. Frankly, just about any white 4-door sedan does. Same goes for a white compact pickup truck - fleet truck. But, I loved the white on my Xterra.
nah dawg, this was one of those mother of pearl white jobs, not a plain jane white paint job man. Looked classy. The rear end looked like an afterthought though. Malibu looks better especially from the back or front, and especially in purplish grey.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Tankinbeans has new job. Contract to start, but the company is pretty good about hiring their contractors at the end of the term.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport