Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

Vacation wasn't long enough, as always.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

wannabe wrote:how would a stick shift work in an electric vehicle?
I have a buddy who was planning to retrofit an electric drivetrain into his Civic Del Sol, just for fun. There are youtube videos out there of people who have done so, and all say pretty much the same thing as Boring did below - you just the gear selector just like normal, but the clutch pedal is not necessary due to the way the electric motor operates. You just move the stick and everything is fine.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Eyed think that the synchronizers would thank you if you disengaged the clutch while shifting.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I'd concur.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That was my first thought on reading that too...though a system to automatically produce perfect rev-matches should be easier with the electric motor, so it's conceivable that one could skip operating the clutch pedal that way, though I'd rather do it myself and use the clutch pedal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

[youtube]https://youtu.be/g9QncPQaTIo[/youtube]
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Eyed think that the synchronizers would thank you if you disengaged the clutch while shifting.
Intuitively I'd agree, but it seems that there's much less of an issue since there's no mass of a flywheel and crank. When everything's mechanically connected through the transmission, all you're turning is the rotor inside the stator housing, and when not under load, it's essentially free-spinning. You'd probably need to clutch in if you were trying to powershift, but backing off the accelerator (not 'gas'!) pedal during a shift performs the same function that was formerly required of the clutch.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

RITmusic2k wrote:backing off the accelerator (not 'gas'!) pedal during a shift performs the same function that was formerly required of the clutch.
I thought most electric vehicles were configured to produce regenerative engine braking when you come completely off of the accelerator pedal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Eyed think that the synchronizers would thank you if you disengaged the clutch while shifting.
Intuitively I'd agree, but it seems that there's much less of an issue since there's no mass of a flywheel and crank. When everything's mechanically connected through the transmission, all you're turning is the rotor inside the stator housing, and when not under load, it's essentially free-spinning. You'd probably need to clutch in if you were trying to powershift, but backing off the accelerator (not 'gas'!) pedal during a shift performs the same function that was formerly required of the clutch.
If the extra inertia of a heavy clutch can negatively impact the function of the synchronizers, I'm sure the rotational inertia of the electric motor rotor would be much more of a problem.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I have an itch for a new motorcycle.

I'm looking to step up the power a little bit - go from my measly 38 HP to something in the mid 60s. Compared to other bikes, my bike is slow. Compared to other cars, the bike is quick. So it's not a dog to ride, but I'm ready for something faster.

I test rode a 2011 V-Strom 650 the other day. Almost twice the power, very good storage (aluminum panniers) and lots of goodies - heated grips, a GPS mount ready to go, better aftermarket seat, etc.

Came close to pulling the trigger, to be honest. I even went so far as to bring my title with me but pulled back at the last moment. I'll wait for another deal to come up this winter.

P.S. Also test rode a Triumph Tiger 1050. That bike had me giggling like a little schoolgirl the entire 40 minutes I was riding it. The power was glorious and the sound of the triple is hard to beat. It just sounds sophisticated and exotic at the same time. Hard to describe, but no inline 4 on any motorcycle will ever sound as good as a triple. The I-4s are all whiny. I prefer singles, twins and triples.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

theholycow wrote:I thought most electric vehicles were configured to produce regenerative engine braking when you come completely off of the accelerator pedal.
For factory-designed electric vehicles, yes - I'm only referring to a particular Civic Del Sol on which somebody performed an electric conversion in their garage.
Rope-Pusher wrote:If the extra inertia of a heavy clutch can negatively impact the function of the synchronizers, I'm sure the rotational inertia of the electric motor rotor would be much more of a problem.
Again, I'd agree in general... but I'm not trying to speculate whether it would be a problem. I'm speculating why it isn't a problem for the car out there in the wild where this is the case.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:I
P.S. Also test rode a Triumph Tiger 1050. That bike had me giggling like a little schoolgirl the entire 40 minutes I was riding it. The power was glorious and the sound of the triple is hard to beat. It just sounds sophisticated and exotic at the same time. Hard to describe, but no inline 4 on any motorcycle will ever sound as good as a triple. The I-4s are all whiny. I prefer singles, twins and triples.
Tell me they do a better job with cooling the center cylinder than they did on the Trident.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I
Tell me they do a better job with cooling the center cylinder than they did on the Trident.
That was my first experience with a Triumph Triple and I knew very little going into it. I wasn't even considering buying one, I just ended up test riding it along with the bikes I was looking at.

That said, I did some reading about their triples later and there was no cooling issues of this sort discussed. Must have been solved, then.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

job just got a bit more stupid. apparently we want to tow less vehicles and have our otg (on the go) better. but! we are not mobile mechanics. So this is happening.

"hi AAA, my car is not starting. its not the battery, its the starter"

"okay, but i still need to send our battery service truck out there to test the batt/starter/alt before we can send you a tow truck"

"but i know its not the battery or anything they can fix, unless they bring a starter"

"we're not mobile mechanics. My computer won't let me set it up as a tow first, i apologize"

*set up as batt svc, driver gets out there, tests, finds its the starter*

"hi AAA, like i said earlier, its the starter, not the battery, and now i need a tow"

"sorry about that. *sets up as redispatch as tow* driver should be there within 30-45 minutes to tow your vehicle"

Now the member waited 45-60 minutes for the first truck and 30-45 for the second.

IF our tow trucks were able to test, we could save some time.

there are signs in the break room that say "say no to the tow"

Um, tows are not drugs.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

we don't even *have* batt svc avail in all areas....so if its not the batt, and a jump won't fix it, i still have to send a jump out, in the middle of nowhere north dakota, then send out a tow truck....drivers out there sometimes drive 80 miles to get to a jump.. he's gonna wanna just bring a tow to begin with....
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff