Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by tankinbeans »

Galadriel is currently down for the count. Was accelerating and got to 50 mph when the engine started ticking. Power was cut and I couldn't get up past 30 mph.

Lack of driving or proper lubrication?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

IMBoring25 wrote:When you will have many patients who will be non-ambulatory and/or in less-than-full possession of their faculties, a low, wide drink container is more difficult to spill and a small one makes less mess if spilled.
having worked medical - this. people with shaky hands or who easily drop things...small drinks make smaller puddles and if you drop it and you didn'tt ake foil off all the way, and it lands where the foil is still attached, less puddle!
Teamwork wrote:maybe I could drive bare foot?
I LOVE driving barefoot
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

This new apartment search has stalled. Not finding anything I really like. Well, for the right money, that is.

I was liking a downtown Plano studio, which is 575 Sq feet but there isn't one available now, nor is there going to be one in the next two months.

Moving is hard.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:Aren't used rubbers dangerous? :mrgreen:
Sloppy Seconds?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I decided to splurge (giggity) and picked up an Xbox One. My, Forza 6 looks great, even on my ancient 720p LCD. I'm disappointed at the lack of second gen RX-7 and Tsukuba Circuit, though :cry: .
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

tankinbeans wrote:Galadriel is currently down for the count. Was accelerating and got to 50 mph when the engine started ticking. Power was cut and I couldn't get up past 30 mph.

Got a call back that the wrist pin connecting one of the pistons to the rod may have snapped. Mechanic is going to remove the valve cover tomorrow to check it out. Depending on the answer, at what point should I wash my hands and walk away?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Galadriel is currently down for the count. Was accelerating and got to 50 mph when the engine started ticking. Power was cut and I couldn't get up past 30 mph.

Got a call back that the wrist pin connecting one of the pistons to the rod may have snapped. Mechanic is going to remove the valve cover tomorrow to check it out. Depending on the answer, at what point should I wash my hands and walk away?
Wrist pin snapping? I would have expected the rod bearing to fail from lack of lubrication before that happened....or the rod to snap.....

So my buddy Tony had the head off his old Fiat and his dad was below the car, with the oil pan removed, unbolting the rod from the crankshaft. His dad sez "OK, I'm pulling down on the rod", and Tony sez "But the piston isn't moving down!"
They found that the piston had cracked around one of the ring grooves and it was now a two-piece design. The top of the piston was being supported by the compression ring in the top ring groove.

That explained a lot of things.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Is Galadriel the 2003 Century?

In what condition is the rest of the car? Do you like the car? How would you feel about replacing the car? How would you feel about repairing or replacing the engine?

A quick look at car-part.com shows plenty of high-mile and a few lower-mile 3.1's in MN in reportedly good condition between $300 and $800 (and untested/iffy ones for less).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rotted rocker panels as per normal for an 03 Century, but I like it well enough. I wouldn't mind dropping an engine in, but wonder when it's just sending good money after bad.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Got some codes off the thing: P0304 and P0442. Tried pulling the plug on cylinder 4, which interestingly enough is on the front of the engine, and couldn't get the bitch to budge.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tummy, a used car is a place to hang new or "experienced" parts on, as necessary, to allow you to continue have a means of transportation.

If you've been replacing the usual consumable items, like belts, hoses, tires, brakes, and shocks/struts, exhaust system, battery, ball joints and tie rod ends, then those parts are good for a while to go. Replacing the engine could mean that you actually get some use out of the consumables you've been replacing. Walking away from it would mean that someone else will resurrect it and take advantage of the life left in the car....or that someone will scour the junkyard and remove all the pieces that still have some life left in them.

I bet insurance is cheap on that car and nobody is making any monthly payments on it either.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

$400 per year for insurance, no payments, haven't really replaced anything. In 3 years we've only put about 8000 miles on it.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:$400 per year for insurance, no payments, haven't really replaced anything. In 3 years we've only put about 8000 miles on it.
How much are you willing to spend to replace it?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:$400 per year for insurance, no payments, haven't really replaced anything. In 3 years we've only put about 8000 miles on it.
How much are you willing to spend to replace it?
I can't really afford much, but mom needs the car. I'm not even sure how much that would run. Friend believes that we could do it in a weekend.

I have about $1500 in open credit and could probably scrounge a bit more of necessary.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

$400/yr insurance? Cripes, I gotta get me one of those! Wanna sell it? :lol:

Sounds like I'd go ahead and fix it, even if it means replacing the engine (assuming it can be done at a reasonable cost). Work on pulling that spark plug and getting a look in the cylinder while someone cranks it. Google up some tips for a seized spark plug. I'm guessing it might be worth trying to (carefully!) do it while the engine is hot, if possible...also maybe try turning it in both directions (even though you don't want it tighter, a few degrees tighter can break it loose so you can then back it out), and don't force it too much until you're ready to sacrifice the cylinder head/cylinder/engine.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD