Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I just went thru a 2nd round of fun-n-games w/Petey's ac - 2nd verse same as the first. Cooling module fan goes bad and doesn't run at low speed whenever ac is on. If driving is providing ram airflow, everything seems fine, but if sitting still, no airflow through the condensor means no condensing so pressure goes up, engine chuggs at idle due to compressor load, and no cool air coming from ducts. Put in a fan unit again and we're good-2-goats again.
This would drive me insane because I really am not an A/C snob... like when my car is in working condition I never have it even set to the coldest "max A/C position" or the fan speed past 4 (out of 6 speeds). I really just keep it either consistently running on 1-2 fan speed or turn it off and on at like 3-4 for shorter spurts. When I left my car off last night to get the "not working" reading- I know that it's a 50/50 shot that it's going to work after being shut down for awhile and it wasn't working again this morning when I went to the gym. I go to the gym for about an hour and re-fire to run errands and the car goes back to working state with no subtle change over like it's been working the entire time. I get a new reading with consistent variables and even ambient temperature was less then 5 degrees off outside and the coldest, consistent rating I got was 12.4 celsius which is 54.3 F... over a 15 degree discrepancy celsius. On a 85-90 degree day I mean this is pretty noticeable and I don't think I'm being a d-bag about it... but VW sees otherwise.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

AC blowing ambient temperature in a brand new car is unacceptable. Look up the lemon law requirements in your state and start documenting the issue and your attempts to meet the lemon law standards. I wouldn't be shy about dropping the words lemon law at the dealership. Might perk up their ears.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

took a call for an 88 (actually 89, per google) chrysler maserati. i had to ask him further that it was both...usually i get a "jeep nissan" when people mistake the two brands for models.... and he confirmed. google confirmed. computer system didn't have an 88 (cuz it was made 89-91) so i just put as a chrysler lebaron (it looked similar on google!) and put the real info into the driver directions...

But yeah. asked a friend what it was, he's a car person, and he goes "doesn't exist". i said it did, it's a chrysler tc maserati, and it's a love child between the two for a few short years before he was born...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote:took a call for an 88 (actually 89, per google) chrysler maserati. i had to ask him further that it was both...usually i get a "jeep nissan" when people mistake the two brands for models.... and he confirmed. google confirmed. computer system didn't have an 88 (cuz it was made 89-91) so i just put as a chrysler lebaron (it looked similar on google!) and put the real info into the driver directions...

But yeah. asked a friend what it was, he's a car person, and he goes "doesn't exist". i said it did, it's a chrysler tc maserati, and it's a love child between the two for a few short years before he was born...
yep, i remember seeing them back in the 90s. the thing probably caused many accidents by rubberneckers.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
Soooo..... Though it really want to stay, I really want out of my current place of employment. I cant stand my current boss and his constant bullshit. We're all pretty miserable working for him. My coworker gave his notice yesterday, and another just needs to pass her piss test. The exodus has begun. That said, I have an interview tomorrow at the dealership where my last two bosses currently work. I very much liked working for both of them. The problem is that though I like the boss, the politics are said to be even worse than my current situation. Where I am no I can pull my own car in and work on it no questions asked. From what I understand about this alternative place, for me to even go to the parts department and buy something like an oil filter requires an email to the GM first. And he might say no.
As I got older I realized that job experience for the most part reflected who/how your direct boss operated. I really never liked my last one and grit and grinded for 3 years but towards the last months I really, strongly, disliked him and I couldn't deal with it anymore. The job itself I really had minimal problems with but he seemed to bring his own issues into everyone's lives and amplified others. I wish you luck!
yeah, bad bosses just suck. i often wonder if they realize just how bad they suck. bad coworkers usually don't last too long (in general), but bad bosses don't usually go away as quickly. luckily (knock on wood), my current bosses are okay. had some bad bosses over the past few years (same companies, different bosses) who sucked real bad though. luckily, they either got put out or left on their own.
Blue Beast seems to be having a bellyache....
Okay- no vibration through the steering wheel but any through the accelerator or brake? I swear I became immune to it (or it fixed itself) but at times I would feel a slight vibration through the accelerator pedal at higher speeds (highway speeds) which I thought could've been a bearing issue. It was by no means bad but it was "there"... I either might've become immune or I'm not even sure.

Side question though for you... when you first start the car off a cold start (after sitting for awhile) have you ever attempted a 3 point turn or turned the steering wheel lock to lock right or left? See what happens if anything... I'm curious. Pretty much hold the brake (brake completely) and turn the wheel lock to lock without moving.
first of all, thanks for everyone's help with this. this vibration is very mild, where the sound is like a faint helicopter sound and the feeling is barely there. i sometimes notice it more and/or may be more paranoid about it; it was very subtle tonight on the way to work (who knows, maybe it went away??). i tried turning the wheel lock to lock multiple times, and it didn't do anything noticeable - no noises or weird vibrations. i don't think i had my foot on the brake though. i have an appointment to bring in the golf on wednesday morning to be looked at since, if there is something wrong, it is most likely beyond my easy ability or motivation to fix. plus the car's under warranty. fingers crossed that it's not an alignment problem though (since i'll probably have to pay for that).
I've been a little MIA off these forums for a few. I've been quite busy with work and just got word last week that they are going to be flying me out to Maryland/Washington DC for a few days in 2 weeks on a business trip. I haven't been on a plane in over 10 years... :shock:
nice!! you could always drive there, no?? i was on a plane last in 2012, but it's not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. i needed a seatbelt extender and couldn't sit easily next to people, plus i have greek blood and a goatee, so i tend to be pulled aside and frisked on almost every flight. i may drive down to florida on my next trip to avoid the potential drama of flying. on top of what i mentioned, most flights i take involve a stop-over where i either almost miss my connection (detroit) or get in a fight with the airport staff (atlanta).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

looked better back in the day... :shock: :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:the sound is like a faint helicopter sound
That sounds totally like a tire defect, though there remains a slight chance of a piece of debris rubbing or a failing wheel bearing.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

IMBoring25 wrote:AC blowing ambient temperature in a brand new car is unacceptable. Look up the lemon law requirements in your state and start documenting the issue and your attempts to meet the lemon law standards. I wouldn't be shy about dropping the words lemon law at the dealership. Might perk up their ears.
I'm really going to drive this home on a dealership level and then if to no prevail... VWOA. I'd rather not let this get drawn out to VWOA because then it really will move slow but in the end all I really want is my A/C to work consistent and have the peace of mind of not having to have a heat stroke in my own car that only has 11k on the odometer. I'm filming and documenting the entire thing in how I'm coming up with these readings before the car is even turned on.
yeah, bad bosses just suck. i often wonder if they realize just how bad they suck. bad coworkers usually don't last too long (in general), but bad bosses don't usually go away as quickly. luckily (knock on wood), my current bosses are okay. had some bad bosses over the past few years (same companies, different bosses) who sucked real bad though. luckily, they either got put out or left on their own.
I have to agree with this but bad coworkers- I also think are a good thing in some ways. Speaking on bad performance level or non-ideal work characteristics they can make you look even better if you're not that. They keep the playing field balance IMO, and I would hate to work a long side all over-achievers unless it was totally team based projects. My line of work now is more independent with some team based projects so..
i tried turning the wheel lock to lock multiple times, and it didn't do anything noticeable - no noises or weird vibrations. i don't think i had my foot on the brake though.
I think the brake part is key. I get this 'old creaking ship' sound when I do a 3 point turn out of my street every morning but it only happens off of a cold start. To really explain it to a tee though I'll hold the brake and start turning the wheel to lock and then start reversing for the sound to happen. The dealership showed me a VW Jetta and another GTI that exhibited this even though I found it to be strange. It's more embarrassing to have to explain to passengers what's happening then anything else (it doesn't effect anything else).
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:the sound is like a faint helicopter sound
That sounds totally like a tire defect, though there remains a slight chance of a piece of debris rubbing or a failing wheel bearing.
going in this morning after work to have them look at it, despite the sound and vibration having all but vanished over the past couple of days. it could be there was something stuck in my spokes, or it could be a bigger problem that has gone into remission :| :? :shock: :evil: . worst case scenario is they take me for a crazy man, or i fall asleep in the waiting room (been up since 14:30 yesterday). they could also try to charge me for something :x
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:AC blowing ambient temperature in a brand new car is unacceptable. Look up the lemon law requirements in your state and start documenting the issue and your attempts to meet the lemon law standards. I wouldn't be shy about dropping the words lemon law at the dealership. Might perk up their ears.
I'm really going to drive this home on a dealership level and then if to no prevail... VWOA. I'd rather not let this get drawn out to VWOA because then it really will move slow but in the end all I really want is my A/C to work consistent and have the peace of mind of not having to have a heat stroke in my own car that only has 11k on the odometer. I'm filming and documenting the entire thing in how I'm coming up with these readings before the car is even turned on.
yeah, that there is messed up. how can they think it's okay not to have a/c...
I have to agree with this but bad coworkers- I also think are a good thing in some ways. Speaking on bad performance level or non-ideal work characteristics they can make you look even better if you're not that. They keep the playing field balance IMO, and I would hate to work a long side all over-achievers unless it was totally team based projects. My line of work now is more independent with some team based projects so..
true that, though it doesn't always reap the benefits quickly. at one point 2 of my hotel coworkers who had started at my level and were originally trained by me were both promoted above me, one to front desk manager, and the other to general hotel manager. we went from being good friends to bitter enemies. i couldn't believe what they got away with doing and saying. it took about a year for justice to be served, or for it to start being served...
i tried turning the wheel lock to lock multiple times, and it didn't do anything noticeable - no noises or weird vibrations. i don't think i had my foot on the brake though.
I think the brake part is key. I get this 'old creaking ship' sound when I do a 3 point turn out of my street every morning but it only happens off of a cold start. To really explain it to a tee though I'll hold the brake and start turning the wheel to lock and then start reversing for the sound to happen. The dealership showed me a VW Jetta and another GTI that exhibited this even though I found it to be strange. It's more embarrassing to have to explain to passengers what's happening then anything else (it doesn't effect anything else).
i keep forgetting to try it with the brake down. i vaguely remember hearing a creaking noise at least once in the past when i first got the Golf and cut the wheel. It has been a great steering system and nice wheel otherwise. one somewhat annoying thing (which may not be the same on the GTI or on models without KESSY) is that when i start the car, the steering wheel changes position suddenly and it sometimes bangs my arm or hand (mainly due to the flat bottomed steering wheel). that is 1st world problem (especially having KESSY) though.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

yeah, that there is messed up. how can they think it's okay not to have a/c...
I'm going to talk to them one last time and tell them about the documentations and what is really in my mind hard evidence. Even if they thought I was fabricating it- why would I want to purposely break my A/C in end of July... or want to fabricate falsities here. I've been bringing this up multiple times on unscheduled visits for a year now. It is an intermittent issue that is hard to catch... and admittedly it's been working more times then when it hasn't been but it always seems to break down at the worst points... like when I am concealed in the car for at least 35 miles.
true that, though it doesn't always reap the benefits quickly. at one point 2 of my hotel coworkers who had started at my level and were originally trained by me were both promoted above me, one to front desk manager, and the other to general hotel manager. we went from being good friends to bitter enemies. i couldn't believe what they got away with doing and saying. it took about a year for justice to be served, or for it to start being served...
People pride title and promotions and it sometimes changes them for the worse... I mean whenever I've received a promotion or were working with people who used to work 'along side' but ended up being there superior- it's a difficult situation sometimes but I stay humble and definitely don't become abusive.
i keep forgetting to try it with the brake down. i vaguely remember hearing a creaking noise at least once in the past when i first got the Golf and cut the wheel. It has been a great steering system and nice wheel otherwise.
I can't remember where I was at or how I felt when in the WRX or Focus ST but I do have to agree that this steering is really good. The initial turn in is some of the best I've ever felt in any car and easily one of my favorite features. It's really the epitome of a point and shoot car. I've learned to live with the sound but it's kind of off putting. I don't have to make cold start, 3 point turns, too often though ;)
one somewhat annoying thing (which may not be the same on the GTI or on models without KESSY) is that when i start the car, the steering wheel changes position suddenly and it sometimes bangs my arm or hand (mainly due to the flat bottomed steering wheel). that is 1st world problem (especially having KESSY) though.
Wait what? I have non-kessy and the steering wheel doesn't move or even vibrate that much upon start up. Definitely stays in position though. The only complaint I have in terms of banging my knee is the design of the center stack. I bang my right knee on the lip of the center stack quite often when going for the throttle sometimes.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Could be non kessy doesn't do the wheel flinch thing the kessy models do. The wheel comes alive when I hit the start button (with the brake down). Also don't forget the GTI has more aggressive steering than the regular Golfs.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Yeah, these two coworkers got too proud from their promotions. It winds up at least one of them had been trying to get me fired for at least 2 years before the promotion. That one ended up losing it from her pride and power trip. The other one went crazy too, but that's another story...
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:Could be non kessy doesn't do the wheel flinch thing the kessy models do. The wheel comes alive when I hit the start button (with the brake down). Also don't forget the GTI has more aggressive steering than the regular Golfs.
I really don't know... but when I was test driving Golf TSI SEL's I don't remember this happening at all either. I can tell you coming from Asian vehicles all my life this car is incredibly qwirky in good/bad ways. Also, on second hand stories of other peoples cars I've heard and seen incredibly weird things.

Since we're on the topic... how is your gas gauge? I can't put more then 10.5 gallons of fuel into this tank upon 2 click offs no matter (seemingly) what. The most fuel I put in was 10.9 gallons and this was when I was "15 miles to empty" with the gas minder on. I know a lot of people are reporting that they are driving this car (for the sake of science) past "0 miles to empty" and going about 40-50 miles even after that. It seems like this car is reserving close to 2 gallons of gas for me (if the advertised 13.2 gallon tank is accurate).