Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

See? Imaginations can run wild when you leave some slack in the rope.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:Is "spontaneous" in this instance synonymous with "accidental" or "involuntary?"
That just reminds me of a euphemism for being fired that I recently read at work. Our senior management is working to be more communicative and is sending out monthly data packets. In it they cite "involuntary turnover," and it didn't take too long to grok what they meant.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:Is "spontaneous" in this instance synonymous with "accidental" or "involuntary?"
That just reminds me of a euphemism for being fired that I recently read at work. Our senior management is working to be more communicative and is sending out monthly data packets. In it they cite "involuntary turnover," and it didn't take too long to grok what they meant.
What was I watching where the guy ate his "Pink Slip" to make it disappear so he didn't get "laid off"?

At the Tank Command, they called it "Getting Riffed", because RIF stood for "Reduction in Force".

The euphemism that I didn't like reading was in a safety report, where it talked about "degloving"...but the guy hadn't been wearing gloves at the time he was injured!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

why the hell do eye want a mustang now?? :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:why the hell do eye want a mustang now?? :evil:
Your testosterone is lonely?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Congrats on being engaged!

As for me, I'm going to purposefully put that off as long as possible, even though I'm 33 and my mom nags me relentlessly about wanting a grandchild.
Ive had had that talk with her too. But then we found other ways to occupy our time.
:evil: YOU!!!!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:
watkins wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Congrats on being engaged!

As for me, I'm going to purposefully put that off as long as possible, even though I'm 33 and my mom nags me relentlessly about wanting a grandchild.
Ive had had that talk with her too. But then we found other ways to occupy our time.
:evil: YOU!!!!
Me!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

tankinbeans wrote:I was in the car and in an unfamilar area last night when it was time to reset the clocks. I had SATNAV going at 1:15 and the durn thing told me I'd arrive at 3:03. This made no sense as the journey was to be about 50 minutes give or take. I started getting agitated until I realized the car resets itself.
our call notes/time stamps were all off and confused starting hours before the time change.

also the "mbr adv eta 60m" was more like "2 hours" but one hour was missing so it really was only 1 hour....that screws with the mind. i also worked until 9 instead of 8 to make sure i worked 8 hours. i missed church.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I was in the car and in an unfamilar area last night when it was time to reset the clocks. I had SATNAV going at 1:15 and the durn thing told me I'd arrive at 3:03. This made no sense as the journey was to be about 50 minutes give or take. I started getting agitated until I realized the car resets itself.
our call notes/time stamps were all off and confused starting hours before the time change.

also the "mbr adv eta 60m" was more like "2 hours" but one hour was missing so it really was only 1 hour....that screws with the mind. i also worked until 9 instead of 8 to make sure i worked 8 hours. i missed church.
Hay Wannabe,
How are things way out West?

Yanno, if I had my druthers, I druther that we had daylight savings time in the winter months. Those are the times when I go to work in the dark, come home from work in the dark, and never see the sun. The thing is, I'd want/need mebbe 2 or 3 hours time shift to give me any significant time in the sun in the early evenings.

Speaking of resetting clocks, this thing in the spring isn't so bad, but in the fall, when we set the time back at 2:00 am and then wake up again an hour later and set the time back again and then wake an hour later and reset the time again,.....isn't that the definition of a "do-loop?" That's just lousy coding, right?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I've always found changing clocks an absurd exercise when we could just go to work at a different time.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:I've always found changing clocks an absurd exercise when we could just go to work at a different time.
Changing the clocks is part of an amalgamated way of announcing to the world that when you are here, this is the time that we are keeping. It goes back to the original reasons for having standardized time zones. When Ugh and Lih lived in a cave and never ventured far from it, nobody was jumping off a jet plane to do bidnest with them. They were most likely active during daylight hours, but retired to sleep when it got dark. What else were they going to do at night, stare at the lights in the sky and grunt "Those stars over ther remind me of Obrien, the drinker!"?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

why do eye want a wrx?? :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:why do eye want a wrx?? :evil:
Channeling Paul Simon?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:why do eye want a wrx?? :evil:
Channeling Paul Simon?
eye googled "'paul simon' and 'wrx'" and came up blank. actually, the first three results recommended listening to "slip sliding away", "graceland" and "the boxer", respectively. thought maybe paul owned a wrx for a minute there... :?