Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:The air is thinner way up where he is.
You mean Texas, or Yao Ming stature?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Possibly going to an MK7 meet on June 17th - Saturday in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting as there's 5 GTI guys, 2 base Golf guys, and 4-5 R guys who will probably show up. Will definitely be asking questions and wondering if anyone else experiences the oddities I have encountered...

Potown if you have any questions you wan't me to present feel free also lol...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Focus, Fiesta owners sue Ford over faulty Powershift transmissions
The suit claims that 2012-16 Focus and 2011-16 Fiesta sedans come with faulty dual-clutch transmissions prone to "shuddering, slipping, bucking, jerking, hesitation while changing gears, premature internal wear, delays in downshifting and, in some cases, sudden or delayed acceleration."
The lawsuit says Ford has issued more than 20 technical service bulletins relating to the affected models, but has been unable to find a "consistently reliable repair."

In 2014, the automaker extended the powertrain warranty from five years/60,000 miles to seven years/100,000 miles to help cover the problems.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017053 ... news-daily

For the most part, DCT's are acceptable in Europe because expectations are lower, but the North American market has grown up with slushboxes that launch, upshift and downshift in a less dramatic fashion and doesn't expect they should have to settle for less.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I didn't realize that Ford had committed so aggressively to DCTs. I had told my girlfriend I thought something was wrong with her torque converter. I guess we can rule that out. :)
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I did a thing and now Im trying to figure out 7 way trailer wiring. Seems to be easy enough.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I've been using 7-way ever since I bought my Pop-up camping trailer. It seems tummy that I have less problems with corroded contacts. A lot of the trailers I've borrowed over the years also use 7-way connectors, so it's been handy to have my vehicles set to accept them.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:Possibly going to an MK7 meet on June 17th - Saturday in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting as there's 5 GTI guys, 2 base Golf guys, and 4-5 R guys who will probably show up. Will definitely be asking questions and wondering if anyone else experiences the oddities I have encountered...

Potown if you have any questions you wan't me to present feel free also lol...
rock & roll!! sounds like a hoot!!!! please ask them why the regular golf is so quick. :lol: 8) :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

As I recall, the problem with 7-way connectors is that, despite how common they are in the RV world, the pinout isn't really standardized (or you could say there are multiple standards). That said, the OEM one that came on my truck matched the one that came on my camper...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Porsche Drivers Can't Keep the Shiny Side Up?

One of the rarity factors motivating today's Porsche flippers is the availability of manual transmissions in the pricier models, once again feared as the "last of the line." Porsche’s head of GT road-car development Andreas Preuninger told Car and Driver the decision to offer a manual transmission in the new GT3 has rubbed owners of the manual-only 911R the wrong way -- they had been expecting the model to hold its value due to the presence of a stick shift. The debut of the latest GT3 has upset those who bought the car as an investment

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/po ... z4ifpCVwQF
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I've been here for over 10 years? Dang.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I've been using 7-way ever since I bought my Pop-up camping trailer. It seems tummy that I have less problems with corroded contacts. A lot of the trailers I've borrowed over the years also use 7-way connectors, so it's been handy to have my vehicles set to accept them.
I need to do one of the dual plug setups. My utility trailer is a 4-way and it would be dumb to convert it. Id also rather have both plugs ready rather than buy and lose an adapter.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:The air is thinner way up where he is. Sometimes hes a bit slow. Though it could be a side effect of the nuclear fallout...
I'd be mad at you, but truth is truth.

Yeah, I guess it's coming up to 10 years then. Hmmm
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Almost time for the 10 year anniversary of the first international SS meat :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:Almost time for the 10 year anniversary of the first international SS meat :twisted:
If it's within, say, 6 hours of driving from me, I'm game. Anything farther and I'm heading for Colorado.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

So, with Gander Mountain going out of business (and re-emerging as Gander Outdoors), the current Gander stores have pretty good sales going on. There are pretty decent deals to be had even on some guns.

Walked around today looking for some odds and ends. Ended up with a new pair of hiking shorts for the summer, some shotgun ammo, some AR-15 ammo, freeze-dried food and random stuff for about $80. Not a bad deal.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650