Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:New neighbor moved in a week ago. She's about my age and with a dog.

Who's got two thumbs and a new date tomorrow? This guy.
So your dog and her dog are going on a date and the two humans are chaperoning?

Do you think her dog will roll in crap together on the first date?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:New neighbor moved in a week ago. She's about my age and with a dog.

Epic Winning :!: :D :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote:
potownrob wrote:last samsung eye had was an S3 (you red that write), so my samsung experience is outdated. was a decent phone for its time though, despite the poor battery life and performance issues. the screen was different from what other companies were using (closer to the newer OLED or whatever screens they use now) but i found it a little dark. interface even (especially??) back then was better than other android setups, IMO. ultimately (despite trying several other android phones), i am an iphone person though. i always get fed up with the android glitches and other issues (micro USB FTL - bring on USB C!!) and switch back to iphone.
I've been carrying a USB Type C Android for over a year now (LG G5). It's my first non-Samsung since my Nokias ages ago and was selected based solely on their being last to drop the IR blaster. Hopefully the S9 or G7 brings it back. I did recognize USB Type C as a nicety that unfortunately required new accessories, but the coming thing that I might as well go ahead and get on board with. The swappable battery was also a nice bonus, but I'd easily give that up for IP67 or higher.
yeah, i like that a few of the newer android phones have usb c. not sure why most of them still have the horrible micro usb though. i'm not sure that any of my android phones lasted more than a year before the micro usb port started acting up. i know lightning port (on apple products) is not as quick as usb-c, but i like the way it works. also liked magsafe charger ports on the older macbooks; going from that to usb-c on the new (2015 - got it used) macbook, despite it being much more compact, quicker to charge etc., is just weird, like going backwards.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

So...?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Big Sedans Going the Way of the Dinosaurs?

Get 'em while you still can!

Oh, and Mid-Size Sedans aren't selling so well either.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017072 ... pala-sedan
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:not sure why most of them still have the horrible micro usb though. i'm not sure that any of my android phones lasted more than a year before the micro usb port started acting up.
I never liked micro USB except for its pervasive ubiquity, a sufficiently compelling quality.

Does anyone remember mini USB? It had decently tactile insertion, stayed connected well, never gave me any problems, and readily put up with all manner of abuse. Micro purportedly was supposed to be tougher and last longer but that was complete cow feces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_usb#Connector_types
The Micro plug design is rated for at least 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles, which is more than the Mini plug design
Maybe with perfectly manufactured connectors and perfect usage, but those mini USB plugs can handle cheap manufacturing and real-world usage.

I don't always think we should go backwards in technology, but in this case...yes.

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I actually had to buy a MiniUSB charger last week because I left two of my batteries for my GoPro (4 Black) on the charger at home when I went on my trip. They skipped Micro entirely, going from Mini to Type C for the 5.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Image
I actually had to buy a MiniSRT charger last week
FICKSET
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Big Sedans Going the Way of the Dinosaurs?

Get 'em while you still can!

Oh, and Mid-Size Sedans aren't selling so well either.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017072 ... pala-sedan
These numbers are really bad. The one's that I actually seem quite commonly in my area I suppose make sense - Charger and Maxima. I really don't see how Hyundai could continue making the Azera with barely moving 5k a year.

Mid-size market probably doesn't help either considering most of those entries are EPA classified "large cars" (by volume). SUV's/trucks have definitely dented the market but honestly cheap gas isn't going to last forever... that's when we'll see what true colors are shown again.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:not sure why most of them still have the horrible micro usb though. i'm not sure that any of my android phones lasted more than a year before the micro usb port started acting up.
I never liked micro USB except for its pervasive ubiquity, a sufficiently compelling quality.

Does anyone remember mini USB? It had decently tactile insertion, stayed connected well, never gave me any problems, and readily put up with all manner of abuse. Micro purportedly was supposed to be tougher and last longer but that was complete cow feces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_usb#Connector_types
The Micro plug design is rated for at least 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles, which is more than the Mini plug design
Maybe with perfectly manufactured connectors and perfect usage, but those mini USB plugs can handle cheap manufacturing and real-world usage.

I don't always think we should go backwards in technology, but in this case...yes.

yup, mini usb ftw :)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote: SUV's/trucks have definitely dented the market but honestly cheap gas isn't going to last forever... that's when we'll see what true colors are shown again.
Never say Never, but fracking has changed the world of oil. Whenever the price of crude oil goes high enough, there are alternative sources for oil that become economically viable now. This tends to buffer the price of oil. We aren't at the mercy of OPEC anymore.
The pair of dimes
Has been shifted.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Teamwork wrote: SUV's/trucks have definitely dented the market but honestly cheap gas isn't going to last forever... that's when we'll see what true colors are shown again.
Never say Never, but fracking has changed the world of oil. Whenever the price of crude oil goes high enough, there are alternative sources for oil that become economically viable now. This tends to buffer the price of oil. We aren't at the mercy of OPEC anymore.
The pair of dimes
Has been shifted.
I agree but I'm wondering why is hurdling the advancement of hybrid tech / electric sources from SUV's. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only hybrid options for the most part are "compact" SUV's... and the Tesla X if you count that is an exception to the rule.

Chevy pretty much still pushing diesel seems interesting enough to me but I think that engine in the Equinox may not fair so well... Still wondering if Mazda is pursuing this direction.

I wonder if large sedans will have incentives to move... those numbers are pretty LOW. I know I've seen essentially 6k rebates on the Charger/300 twins and those are the ones that don't seem to have issues selling. I can't really rationalize an Avalon over a Camry... and I think from what I hear the Malibu/Impala gap has shortened too. I think the Cadenza/Optima and Maxima/Altima differentiate markets enough for me to validate both existences...

I really warmed up to the new generation Maxima in terms of exterior styling... I don't know how it will age but I could see myself in one easily.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I would think that the mantra of "Range, Range, Range!" for electric vehicles and "Smileage, Smileage, Smileage!" for hybrids has kept automakers from concentrating on CUVs and SUVs for their electric and hybrid vehicles. Notable execption is the Chrysler Pacifica "Don't call it a Minivan" Highbread. I think it loses its stone-go seating, or at least some of it, in odor to phit in the bat trees, but otherwise it is as functional as those built with "The powertrain formerly known as Normal".
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: I agree but I'm wondering why is hurdling the advancement of hybrid tech / electric sources from SUV's. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only hybrid options for the most part are "compact" SUV's... and the Tesla X if you count that is an exception to the rule.
don't forget about the toyota highlander hybrid. that and the compact suv hybrids (like rav 4) don't get anything close to the MPGs the "real" hybrids (like the prius and its variants) get. they get closer to what a typical midsize sedan would get though.
Chevy pretty much still pushing diesel seems interesting enough to me but I think that engine in the Equinox may not fair so well... Still wondering if Mazda is pursuing this direction.
would be nice, but maybe hybrid is better direction?? not a hybrid snob; just saying. :)
I wonder if large sedans will have incentives to move... those numbers are pretty LOW. I know I've seen essentially 6k rebates on the Charger/300 twins and those are the ones that don't seem to have issues selling. I can't really rationalize an Avalon over a Camry... and I think from what I hear the Malibu/Impala gap has shortened too. I think the Cadenza/Optima and Maxima/Altima differentiate markets enough for me to validate both existences...
problem i'm seeing when checking dealer inventory (at least per their websites) is that they don't tend to stock the low-end models of certain cars, like the impala for instance. same goes for the gorgeous buick lacrosse - they have all mid to high level models in stock. the gap is bigger between malibu and impala, than for regal and lacrosse, though (regal is considered more luxury, and they stock higher trim levels). maxima/altima gap is much bigger, but they are stocking lowend altimas on the site eye checked. the maxima is not much if any bigger, but is definitely nicer, IMO. they are also deep discounting 2017 camrys to get rid of them for the all new 2018s. i know this because my sister is currently car shopping.
I really warmed up to the new generation Maxima in terms of exterior styling... I don't know how it will age but I could see myself in one easily.
looks good to me, other than maybe dat rear end, but it's kinda expensive for a FWD nissan with no LSD, IMO. :?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What the Frack?

A Worldwide Gas Glut Claims Latest, $27 Billion Victim in Canada

...but in this case, it's natural gas, not gasoline, petrol, benzene, Boy-Scout-Water, or any other of the myriad of names given to variants of Isooctane used for motor vehicle fuels.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ ... spartandhp