Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:I can't get over the range limitation/anxiety though on these. I'm picturing myself wanting to drive upstate NY or really anywhere in the new England region (things I do, so it's relevant to my case) and I'm just questioning what happens when the charge runs out... I don't think charging stations are as readily available even in NY as they make it out to seem.
If the charge runs out, you drove the wrong car. A range-limited car is not meant to be your only car, unless you really don't get out much...and then on the rare occasion you do, you rent or borrow something else.
Again my place of employment has 3-4 spots but I'm pretty sure those are taken everyday and I would hardly call this the norm. The only other place I typically see them at is at malls sometimes but that's basically it.
The daily commute is where a range-limited vehicle would shine - as long as there's plenty of range to do it without having to compete for the 3-4 chargers in the parking lot (and still deal with unexpected side trips, bad weather, etc).

A 230 mile range would probably be perfect for me, depending on how severe the penalty is for heat and air conditioning. I drive 80 easy (no traffic) miles per day, and if I have no other vehicles, at least my wife's car is likely available.
Teamwork wrote:My daily grind commute in the AM/PM pretty much consists of speeds that don't break over 25 mph or me making it past 2nd gear for 13 miles. I'm looking to move even further out east probably within the next 2 years (maybe even less) so my one way commute will probably get even worse/longer then this. I spend most of my time Monday-Friday on major freeways that end up at speed levels slower then local roads.
That sounds absolutely terrible! I don't think I could deal with that.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:That was essentially my conclusion. The Bolt does seem like to be a great step in the right direction/advancement though. I can't get over the range limitation/anxiety though on these. I'm picturing myself wanting to drive upstate NY or really anywhere in the new England region (things I do, so it's relevant to my case) and I'm just questioning what happens when the charge runs out... I don't think charging stations are as readily available even in NY as they make it out to seem. Again my place of employment has 3-4 spots but I'm pretty sure those are taken everyday and I would hardly call this the norm. The only other place I typically see them at is at malls sometimes but that's basically it.

I could 100% see myself leasing a hybrid though in 3 years though. With my engagement an expiration date has more than likely been placed on daily driving a manual transmission vehicle. I don't have much hope for my fiancée to learn stick in that time to a comfortable level of Long Island driving.

Hybrid would be the way to go for me though but I totally don't want to sap all and any driving dynamics left. If I have to sacrifice that usability/functionality in space needs to improve from where I'm at.
yeah, i think hybrid may have been made for the urban driving environment. my friend from college's dad (who lives on staten island) swears by his (2010) prius, and he used to drive lincoln town cars for years (mainly as a livery driver). not that the hybrids are bad on highways, but the real benefits are around town and in traffic where it can run mainly on the electric motor. i've also heard the new priuses (prii?) are even better and more "fun" to drive than the older ones. the accord hybrid also looks like it can be fun, along with the rav4 hybrid.

as for EV charging stations, i have definitely seen some up this way, mainly at large gas stations near major highways (like the quickchek on washington avenue in kingston). i have seen as many as 8 (maybe more; i have trouble counting past like 5 or 6) charging stations at some of these gas stations. not sure if you can charge anything other than a tesla at most of these stations. you could do something like a plug-in hybrid like the prius prime (if you can afford/want it) if you want to be able to plug it in but are worried about running out of juice.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

That sounds absolutely terrible! I don't think I could deal with that.
The funny and sad part of this is in gauging where my fiancee works and where I work this would most likely get even worse for me (as if what I described seemed like it could). Don't get me wrong, at 7:30 AM-9:00 AM and 4:30-6:00 PM there isn't any safe routes on Long Island but technically me going west to east in the morning, and east to west at dusk is the "better" choices. I'm pretty sure when I reverse these routes and most likely have to add +10 miles (though I'd draw the line at probably 20-22 miles one way) this is going to get even worse for me. No matter what her commute if she stays with the same school district is going to increase dramatically, I'm in the way bad position that I'm trying to be reasonable with the compromise and only try and increase my commute a little more. I mean I would say 12-13 miles in over an hour is a pretty inefficient process as is and I do not want this to get past 1.5 hours to go to work one way.
yeah, i think hybrid may have been made for the urban driving environment. my friend from college's dad (who lives on staten island) swears by his (2010) prius, and he used to drive lincoln town cars for years (mainly as a livery driver). not that the hybrids are bad on highways, but the real benefits are around town and in traffic where it can run mainly on the electric motor. i've also heard the new priuses (prii?) are even better and more "fun" to drive than the older ones. the accord hybrid also looks like it can be fun, along with the rav4 hybrid.

as for EV charging stations, i have definitely seen some up this way, mainly at large gas stations near major highways (like the quickchek on washington avenue in kingston). i have seen as many as 8 (maybe more; i have trouble counting past like 5 or 6) charging stations at some of these gas stations. not sure if you can charge anything other than a tesla at most of these stations. you could do something like a plug-in hybrid like the prius prime (if you can afford/want it) if you want to be able to plug it in but are worried about running out of juice.
I really don't know much about Hybrid/Ev tech so it's hard for me to weigh in. Really the only hybrids I've ever experienced first hand are probably the 3 gen old Prius/Camry yellow cabs in the city aside from the Bolt.

I honestly didn't even know something like the Prius/Prime existed until you said something and I looked into it further. What doesn't seem clear to me is state and federal incentives and how it works. Is it only on EV or does it go by a certain MPG thresh hold? How does the incentive vary from state to state? Is that money off the car immediately or kind of like rebate on your taxes? I don't really understand how people could be saying they are getting these cars that MSRP for 35-40 grand at below 30 grand in the real world.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote: I really don't know much about Hybrid/Ev tech so it's hard for me to weigh in. Really the only hybrids I've ever experienced first hand are probably the 3 gen old Prius/Camry yellow cabs in the city aside from the Bolt.

I honestly didn't even know something like the Prius/Prime existed until you said something and I looked into it further. What doesn't seem clear to me is state and federal incentives and how it works. Is it only on EV or does it go by a certain MPG thresh hold? How does the incentive vary from state to state? Is that money off the car immediately or kind of like rebate on your taxes? I don't really understand how people could be saying they are getting these cars that MSRP for 35-40 grand at below 30 grand in the real world.
not the most knowledgeable about the incentives, but i believe they have been at least mainly on the tax rebate side. you can also get a special discount ezpass for having a hybrid that has a certain mpg rating or higher.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey, how about them e-clips!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I really enjoyed when the Corona appeared.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

anyone remember eclipse stereos?? :)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: anyone remember eclipse stereos?? :)
Were those the ones that only worked once every 18 years?
...And you had to wear earplugs to listen to them?
...And if you didn't, they painlessly made little crescent-shaped holes in your eardrums?
...And they really only worked well in very specific locations and times?
...and even after waiting such a long time, they only played music for a few minutes before they went dead again?
...(fill in the blank with your favorite eclipse memory)
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
...And if you didn't, they painlessly made little crescent-shaped holes in your eardrums?
...and ever after waiting such a long time, they only played music for a few minutes before they went dead again?
well, that might explain why no one eye know had one :? 8)

kenwood excelon FTW :twisted:

:mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
...and even after waiting such a long time, they only played music for a few minutes before they went dead again?
well, that might explain why no one eye know had one :? 8)
If they were women, you would say they were high maintenance, not worth the bother.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

I knew about Eclipse decks (yeah I am going to call them that) but I only used Kenwood in my youth. Really have nothing bad to say either the single/double din units honestly are probably better then some of the crap they have in mainstream cars today.

I'm pretty sad that it's so difficult to go aftermarket on stereo and speakers. I go through car builders a lot just for the fun of it and it's getting ridiculous how an audio upgrade for the vehicle is either: A) on a top level trim / B) roped in a package that's expensive with a bunch of other crap that's questionable on the want list. All a part of the game I suppose... would love if it could be a la carte. The one thing I really enjoyed about the marketing with my GTI for 2015 was that I could get bi-xenon + a performance package a la carte on a base level trim- fairly priced IMO too. Even if they packaged those two things together I probably (and most) would be okay with it...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:I knew about Eclipse decks (yeah I am going to call them that) but I only used Kenwood in my youth. Really have nothing bad to say either the single/double din units honestly are probably better then some of the crap they have in mainstream cars today.

I'm pretty sad that it's so difficult to go aftermarket on stereo and speakers. I go through car builders a lot just for the fun of it and it's getting ridiculous how an audio upgrade for the vehicle is either: A) on a top level trim / B) roped in a package that's expensive with a bunch of other crap that's questionable on the want list. All a part of the game I suppose... would love if it could be a la carte. The one thing I really enjoyed about the marketing with my GTI for 2015 was that I could get bi-xenon + a performance package a la carte on a base level trim- fairly priced IMO too. Even if they packaged those two things together I probably (and most) would be okay with it...
Back in days of olde, there was actually a lawsuit against carmakers requiring them to offer a radio-delete option for those who were installing their own audio systems and didn't want to pay for the factory system just to then have to riop it out and pitch it. Really, dealers were the muscle behind the lawsuit - they were making big money ordering the vehicles without and then installing sound systems on their own. Radio-delete pkg came with wiring for power and speakers and the antenna. Just needed to install speakers, "deck" and amp(s) yourself. They could equip the vehicle to the level that a particular customer wanted, but on the low-priced side of things the sound systems they installed were worse than what the factory installed, especially with respect to FM tuning and reception. In these modern thymes we live in, sound systems are integrated with vehicle system controls and styled uniquely for a given vehicle. Aftermarket sound system suppliers have to be hurting.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Come to think of it, the single-DIN unit bouncing around in my yard plow truck that was given to me by a friend, half-ass wired in and just sitting loosely in the huge hole where the OEM radio died, might be an Eclipse. Seems to work ok enough to keep me in music while plowing my snow. No idea how old it is.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD