Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:
I'm going to see how the long-term experience is with LG vs. Samsung. I have read that it's fairly common for Samsung phones to slow down significantly over time; not sure due to what. I have noticed this with every single Samsung I've ever had, including my current S7, which is my work phone. That phone is so slow now, that when people call me, it shows a blank screen for a few rings before the normal caller ID screen comes up. It's pretty bad...
Do you think something like "CrapCleaner" would help on a phone, given the phone OS is different than a PC's OS?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It is partly a crud buildup issue and partly an issue of newer heavier software updates weighing down old hardware, like with a PC. Wiping the phone will improve it. I haven't yet seen a crapware cleaner app that's up to the task.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
Samsung tried it with the S6 (no extra storage) but after the backlash they have added that back in starting with the S7 and onward.

Speaking of phones. I switched to T-Mobile about a month ago and couldn't be happier. They have really built their network in the last 3-4 years. It's nothing like their spotty network back in 2014; not even mentioning before. They went from a fairly janky carrier reception-wise to quite good, even outside of the metro areas.

Also, for the first time in a while I didn't opt for the latest and greatest phone. In fact, I was testing the Note 8 over a period of 3 months or so before it was publicly released. It's a great phone, but I couldn't see myself spending nearly a grand on it. So when I went to TMO, I ended up getting an LG G6. No regrets.
that G6 looks nice bro. heard the LG android experience is good too. :D
I'm going to see how the long-term experience is with LG vs. Samsung. I have read that it's fairly common for Samsung phones to slow down significantly over time; not sure due to what. I have noticed this with every single Samsung I've ever had, including my current S7, which is my work phone. That phone is so slow now, that when people call me, it shows a blank screen for a few rings before the normal caller ID screen comes up. It's pretty bad...
i remember reading (and dealing with) something about the samsungs not getting timely updates, at least in the past. not sure if that's still the problem. i remember liking the interface on my S3, but it was not quick, got slower and the battery life was not good.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I love driving my new Focus! I've already driven it over 1k miles, and I am averaging a little over 30 mpg. My best tank was 33.5 mpg with mostly 70 mph highway driving.

I am pretty impressed with this car! :D
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

ClutchDisc wrote:I love driving my new Focus! I've already driven it over 1k miles, and I am averaging a little over 30 mpg. My best tank was 33.5 mpg with mostly 70 mph highway driving.

Is that one relatively peppy? My friend had an 07 and it was gutless and didn’t get more than 24ish. His was an autotragic though. I vaguely recall there were two separate and distinct 2.0litre engines for that generation.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

It's got more power than I would honestly ever need. If I need to get in front of someone, it has no problem getting up to speed. Drives like a go cart! :)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchDisc wrote:It's got more power than I would honestly ever need. If I need to get in front of someone, it has no problem getting up to speed.
Drives like a go cart! :)
Fickset
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

What was that thing previously? I can't think of ever having seen five-lug wheels that size.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

OK, I answered my own question with the aid of Google image search. A Pace Arrow motorhome, which I'm still having a tough time finding with five-lug wheels, other than the article on that specific project.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

i remember reading (and dealing with) something about the samsungs not getting timely updates, at least in the past. not sure if that's still the problem. i remember liking the interface on my S3, but it was not quick, got slower and the battery life was not good.
I've gone through many generations with the galaxy S's and even had the original. In terms of the updates in the past I did feel this way but I wasn't sure if it was attributed to the carrier or the phone maker. I actually switched to Verizon after being grandfathered into a lot of great things with AT&T... I didn't have any issues with AT&T really but was getting a great conquest deal to switch so I did. The service on Long Island/NYC def seems stronger all around with Verizon. Never had any serious issues with my Galaxy S's over the years minus my 7+ mishaps. I did drop it yes, but I guess it hit just the right angle to brick the phone because it wasn't very far of a drop. I had enough faith to continue though an S8 and I enjoy this phone as well.
ClutchDisc wrote:I love driving my new Focus! I've already driven it over 1k miles, and I am averaging a little over 30 mpg. My best tank was 33.5 mpg with mostly 70 mph highway driving.

My uncle had one from this generation that had the 5 speed and I thoroughly enjoyed that car too. I'm thinking these were the Zetec engines... I really liked the look of the ZX3/ZX5. The generation after this one was a misfire for sure for them until they returned to form.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

I have the Duratec engine in mine.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Pitiful, Just Pitiful. Only 15 children came by trick-or-treating at the Rope Residence tonight.

Sure, the temperature is in the 30s, but there was no wind, it wasn't raining - wha hoppin?

Eye Yam Disappoint!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I was informed by mine wife that we had 92 costumed little folk
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:I was informed by mine wife that we had 92 costumed little folk
Des sci sae hominy bigguns?

My wife went around doing an exchange of treats with the neighbors, since we all had more left over than what we gave out.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

My dad came over to start the festivities because I was delayed on my way home so I don't have an accurate count but I think there were the usual slightly-over-100 customers. My excess victuals supply was small enough to be making me nervous at the end of the night and easily consumed by myself the following day.