Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by theholycow »

I submitted my windshield claim online. Then I lazily didn't follow up to schedule the appointment. Today my clutch stopped releasing and I'm dragging the car home from work (about 40 miles) once my dad gets here with his truck. I keep the tow bar and such in the car in case of this sort of thing. I still have to go out in the heat to prepare the rig. Once it's home I'm not going to have an easy time moving it around the yard so I don't want to schedule the windshield replacement until I've fixed the car...then I'll get lazy/forgetful again.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:I submitted my windshield claim online. Then I lazily didn't follow up to schedule the appointment. Today my clutch stopped releasing and I'm dragging the car home from work (about 40 miles) once my dad gets here with his truck. I keep the tow bar and such in the car in case of this sort of thing. I still have to go out in the heat to prepare the rig. Once it's home I'm not going to have an easy time moving it around the yard so I don't want to schedule the windshield replacement until I've fixed the car...then I'll get lazy/forgetful again.
Good Luck fixing your car. Keep us posted on how the surgery goes. Maybe Kanye was wrong!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I just finished my first wax job on Malcolm. Even did his eyes. He's so shiny and smooth.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I just finished my first whack job on Malcolm.
Even did his eyes. He's so shiny and smooth.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Heading out to CO and UT Wednesday of this week. We're going to spend a couple of weeks mountain biking, backpacking and hiking around. The weather is still looking to be on the cool site up in the mountains, but this is good; won't get warm until we get to Moab.

This is when the truck is going to shine. Gear for two (including the GF who is likely to overpack), two dogs, two bikes. Plus 14 gallons of water, firewood (to be bought closer to destination) and still lots of room to spare.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I sat in a Camaro SS over the weekend. There were three impressions I came away with; I now know what it's like to sit in a womb as an adult (I'm 5'9" 220 pounds and could barely fit - let alone with enough space for a human with legs to sit behind me); my leg would be broken in trying to use that clutch for any length of time; why the fudge is there a revmatch paddle on the steering wheel? Is this the ultimate poser mullet-mobile or is there one that I'm missing?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:I sat in a Camaro SS over the weekend. There were three impressions I came away with; I now know what it's like to sit in a womb as an adult (I'm 5'9" 220 pounds and could barely fit - let alone with enough space for a human with legs to sit behind me); my leg would be broken in trying to use that clutch for any length of time; why the fudge is there a revmatch paddle on the steering wheel? Is this the ultimate poser mullet-mobile or is there one that I'm missing?
I drove a 1LE SS a few weeks ago. Yeah, I have no upward visibility when looking forward; there would be no streetlights that I could see at all while stopped at a red light. Definitely no one would sit behind me - the front seat was touching the lower cushion of the back seats.

The clutch though - I found it to be great! The effort felt just right; I dislike feather-light clutches of most pedestrian cars these days. It was very firm and deliberate without making me feel like I was working out using it. After a 10 min drive I felt like I've been driving that car for years.

The paddles on the wheel befuddled me as well. I'm not sure what the hell was going on there, and I didn't care, because the SS 1 LE is SUCH a fine package. The magnetic ride control, the trick diff, the suspension itself as well as a few other track goodies really set off that car. If I wanted a second vehicle as a toy with a budget of $40k, the SS 1LE is the best buy on the market at the moment, especially given that Camaros in general aren't selling too well and the new model is about to come out. Savings are to be had even on track-prepped trims.

I would be lying if I weren't tempted to sell the F150 for the SS 1LE and then buy a cheap beater truck for daily duties... but common sense prevailed for now.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd be tempted to take it for a spin just to see what it's like, to fiddle with the revmatch paddle, and see if the clutch feels better in action than just sitting on the showroom floor. However, since I'm not looking and wouldn't feel comfortable pretending just for the sake of a test drive I'll have to continue wondering. Just sitting there in the car fiddling with the clutch I got the feeling that it was weighted similarly to my friend's former 98 Mustang GT, but I could be mistakenly remembering since I haven't driven that beast in 10 years.

I continue to go back and forth with myself about the 2 door sporty cars: Mustang, Camaro, Challenger. On the one hand I've liked the Mustang since I was little and think it would be fun to have, but on the other hand I don't know that I could live with it day to day. I like a bit of room to stretch out and enjoy not rubbing against the roof of a car. Even my 03 Accord Coupe felt a bit small after awhile.

It may sound goofy, but the Mazda is about the right mix of power, room, handling, fuel mileage and styling that I've owned. I don't pretend to be somebody who can take the car to its limit safely and without needlessly endangering street walkers, and don't have anything to prove to people.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

It's all about want vs. need, tank. I'm the same way - my F150 is pretty much the best vehicle for me. It offers the right amount of sheer power combined with excellent versatility/utility as well as excellent room and ergonomics. The only thing it's not is a raw car with no holds barred attitude towards performance, and that's something I desire now and again, as impractical as it is.

I certainly cannot consider a Camaro/Mustang to be a primary car for me - no way. They simply sacrifice too much utility in order to do that.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Hey guys, guess what:

It probably won't go in until next year (I want to rebuild it, plus I still need to source the appropriate rear end, axles, driveshaft, ECU, a couple sensors, fuel pump, etc once my finances recover), but I officially own a turbo FC engine! :mrgreen:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

welcome back noob :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:I continue to go back and forth with myself about the 2 door sporty cars: Mustang, Camaro, Challenger. On the one hand I've liked the Mustang since I was little and think it would be fun to have, but on the other hand I don't know that I could live with it day to day. I like a bit of room to stretch out and enjoy not rubbing against the roof of a car. Even my 03 Accord Coupe felt a bit small after awhile.
The Challenger I drove once seemed quite roomy...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Maybe it’s time to get an SS, for the SS!! :o :!: :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I continue to go back and forth with myself about the 2 door sporty cars: Mustang, Camaro, Challenger. On the one hand I've liked the Mustang since I was little and think it would be fun to have, but on the other hand I don't know that I could live with it day to day. I like a bit of room to stretch out and enjoy not rubbing against the roof of a car. Even my 03 Accord Coupe felt a bit small after awhile.
That's because theyre barges
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:
theholycow wrote:
That's because theyre barges
:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: